Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: US @ DEN
Please list any issues/queries here. Updated to post # 87 plus 129.

iOS

Problem :
-upgrade button doesn’t work. It delivers MMB section but no upgrade ability (says to use normal website)
-seat map doesn’t work (just shows random symbols, not sure if iOS or Android related)
-BEY is in the "Europe" category rather than Middle East
-FDH: an extra "f"
-passbook error fails to download boarding pass - details here.
-On the flight status pages, there is no way to refresh the flight status to view latest information - surely you should be able to swipe down to refresh?
-Wifi password page lists closed BA lounges - Nairobi, Istanbul, Mumbai.
- app doesn't seem to update booking details when a return flight is changed via TA after outbound flown, second time I've experienced it recently (resolved when I check-in for booking via ba.com, albeit with a big of a lag - 5 mins+)
- Unable to download terminal maps because hard-coded server name no longer exists
- Ability to download mobile BPs is tied to phone clock showing 24 hours before departure whereas on connections and same-day returns the BP can be available before this.
-Business UK status not showning fast track status.
- The app fails to redirect to AA correctly to change seats on a BA booking
- receiving between 13-15 notifications per OLCI on notifications screen for each flight (testing ios10).
- App shuts down audio playing on other apps when certain BA app pages are loaded, including award search.
- The iPad app does not show the current year's tier points once you retain GGL. A panel on the My Account page, that I assume shows progress to the next tier, simply says you have retained GGL.
- as guest, Wallet boarding pass does not show oneworld status

Query :
-will gate numbers and baggage carousel numbers for non UK airports be displayed?
-Does the timer that determines how soon after departure time the "your next flight" section is updated work? And does this adjust with delays to the flight?
-where did the airport maps go?
-no pictures on the new destinations

Feature Request :
-Facility to add membership card to Wallet
-Booking of awards within the app
-GUI menu button move to left hand side
-synch across devices so if checked in on PC then ability to directly get BP
-gate number displayed on BP
-display booking class in MMB section under further details. (currently this only works using the upgrade button and then clicking on the flight segment in question)
-consistent UI (some sections are new and some revert to mobile site GUI)
-swipe to go back one step as per Apple standards
-change style to tabs instead of home screen and hamburger system
-weather shown should be for date of arrival (if less than 2 weeks away)
-HHA missing info (household account)
-resize add a booking on my bookings screen (too much real estate)
-contact us shows general contact info and not status specific info. (Gold line example)
-opton to turn off the return fares from London bit on bottom of home screen
-A hopeless request, but can it not be made to work with iOS6?
- For those of us who use both iOS and Android, minor request but can we have 'My account' list Avios and TPs in the same order (Android shows TPs then Avios, iOS shows Avios then TPs)
- Similarly can the menu be consistently either top left or top right on both (top right IMHO)
- Can it show LT TPs (at the very least in Full account details, if not on the main page with current Avios/TPs)
- Can it show GGL status on boarding passes please - if ba.com does, so should the app
- Add functionality to allow tracking of your bag (i.e. showing the last point of scan within the baggage tracing system) similar to that on the US Airways app.
- Add a CCR card display please.

Android

Problem :
-Flight Status, by Route & by Airport.
-The airport master data is loaded as :London, United Kingdom, LCY, City Airport
London, United Kingdom, LGW, Gatwick
London, United Kingdom, LHR, Heathrow
Which ever one you choose, it displays as "London, United..", so you can't tellwhich airport you've selected.
-upgrade button doesn’t work. It delivers sorry all available seats have been sold (incorrectly)
-changing seat button doesn’t work (may just be current BA.com issue related)
-seat map doesn’t work (just shows random symbols, not sure if iOS or Android related)
- Issues with reloading bookings after flight has been changed

Query :
-Android Widget no longer seems to exist. Is this intentional?
-version needed to upgrade app? (4.0.2 or earlier compatibility)?
-old boarding passes, are they still available? - yes, just go into previous bookings(EDIflyer)

Feature Request :
-Executive Club contact details (with the appropriate number for logged-in user's current tier)
-Booking of awards within the app
-add to calendar feature should allocate time according to flight duration not a fixed 1 hour
-smoother scrolling
-better contrast when Silver status and text at top of app window (white text)
- For those of us who use both iOS and Android, minor request but can we have 'My account' list Avios and TPs in the same order (Android shows TPs then Avios, iOS shows Avios then TPs)
- Similarly can the menu be consistently either top left or top right on both (top right IMHO)
- Can it show LT TPs (at the very least in Full account details, if not on the main page with current Avios/TPs)
- Can it show GGL status properly please - if ba.com does, so should the app

Print Wikipost

The British Airways iPhone & Android App

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2014, 3:50 am

Nope, no sideloading needed these days
Old May 21, 2014, 3:54 am

I use both the iPhone and Android app. IMO it is a huge improvement on the previous Android app. Much richer graphically and visually appealing.
Old May 21, 2014, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by csutter
Of course this wouldn't be FT if I didn't find something to criticise - the hamburger menu irks me every time I see it in an app
Are you sure you're not running the McDonald's app

Never heard of it called a hamburger menu before, or that Apple don't particularly like them. They seem to have crept up all of a sudden and now are used by many apps and mobile websites.

I've not yet looked at the Android app, I only got to beta test the iPhone one. I wonder if the reason that the Android app has the menu button on the left rather than the right is because Android phones have a built in back button (either a hardware button or one of the soft buttons below the app), whereas on iPhone the back button is displayed within the app.
Old May 21, 2014, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonAndy
Is this only available on iOS7? It is showing as an update on my phone running iOS7, but not iOS6.
Yes, it's iOS7 only.
Old May 21, 2014, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by layz
Are you sure you're not running the McDonald's app

Never heard of it called a hamburger menu before, or that Apple don't particularly like them. They seem to have crept up all of a sudden and now are used by many apps and mobile websites.
I'm more of a Burger King man myself

Slightly OT: I don't know who first came up with the sarcastic name "hamburger menu" but I tip (tap?) my hat to them. It's hiding the app's primary navigation, which is a big UX anti-pattern as far as I'm concerned, not to mention that each and every app seems to do it ever so slightly differently so consistency goes out the window (as evidenced by the new BA app having it on the right!)
Old May 21, 2014, 4:24 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by readystEDIgo
I use both the iPhone and Android app. IMO it is a huge improvement on the previous Android app. Much richer graphically and visually appealing.
Yup, the Android version was several versions behind in terms of UI guidelines - the new version behaves a lot more like a modern Android app. There do seem to be occasions where the standard Holo scheme appears and it clashes a little with the BA house style, but they're pretty few and far between. Overall I'm pretty impressed with how slick it looks.

Only two things I can't seem to find so far: the first is old boarding passes (though I guess it might just be that my old ones were deleted in the upgrade and it'll start keeping them as of my next flight); and the homescreen widget, although perhaps I was the only person who used this, hence its enhancement

[edit] OK, a third: the 'add to calendar' feature is nice, but could it create an event that ends at the flight arrival time, rather than only being only an hour long?

Last edited by teflon; May 21, 2014 at 4:30 am
Old May 21, 2014, 4:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Prospero
Gavin, you should get your hands on a more recent photograph of Glasgow
Originally Posted by andset1191
I thought you'd bring this up!
Mmm, is there perhaps something missing?

Actually I'm really enjoying this, particularly the photos, and the upgrade button (which is new for Androids). There's a really nice picture of Philadelphia (and indeed Newcastle). Reykjavik seems to be beyond coverage, which is understandable, but the other non BA flights get photos. Very nice to use too.
Old May 21, 2014, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by teflon
: the first is old boarding passes (though I guess it might just be that my old ones were deleted in the upgrade and it'll start keeping them as of my next flight);
Does the new app actually store BPs? If so, where?
Old May 21, 2014, 4:38 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Is there no android widget any more?
Old May 21, 2014, 4:39 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
The page that loads after clicking 'Upgrade' has NOT been optimized for mobile use...basics BA come on.

*Android

Last edited by Mattyb44; May 21, 2014 at 4:46 am
Old May 21, 2014, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Does the new app actually store BPs? If so, where?
Yet to try the Android version but the boarding passes should be accessible if you click on view all bookings, then 'past'. As this is an update you may have lost your old boarding passes if the new app has made any changes to the format of the boarding pass.

I know on iOS before passbook stored the boarding passes independently of the app that the stored ones would often vanish on major updates.
Old May 21, 2014, 4:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Thanks for the update and hard work Gavin ^

Some feedback:

The upgrade this flight doesn't seem to work anymore? (iOS devices)

I have an upcoming flight which I have been checking on the app nearly every day for any offers and it worked fine (just the price was too high ...until the update...

Now, when I click on upgrade icon...it takes me to the booking but does not show any upgrade section or offers...I can click on additional services but that only says that I can upgrade if I use the 'normal' version of ba.com...but I don't see anywhere that shows the upgrade offers on the app like the older versions...

Otherwise, seems to work fine so far and looks nice.
Old May 21, 2014, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
It looks really good and is fast on my iPhone 4S. I love that my tracked flight is BA001 - of course it is
Old May 21, 2014, 4:47 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by ba.com gavin
The new app is now live in the iPhone app store (and if you're not seeing it yet, it sometimes takes a while to appear in all countries). The Android version will be following within the hour.

I'd just like to say thanks to all the Flyertalkers who took part in the beta. Your feedback was extremely useful and has helped us (and continues to help us) address many issues before launch. I'm sorry we couldn't get more on the beta app, but we will be looking to run more beta periods as we continue to add more functionality.
Just a quick question, have looked on my Samsung tablet, BA app and it says database version 3.5, will this automatically get upgraded to version 5
Old May 21, 2014, 4:50 am

I have all my past BPs from the start of the beta, but nothing before that.

What/where is the upgrade button on android?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.