LON - RKV Redemption?

Old May 17, 2014, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

LON - RKV Redemption?

I have a few Avios to burn, and also have a hankering to visit Iceland this winter.

I know Air Berlin fly there, but I'm not having any luck finding anything (cash or Avios). I understand I'll have to make it a LON to XYZ to KEF.

FRA and TXL both show direct routes to KEF, but BA simply says

Error

British Airways and its partners do not fly this route.
Can someone enlighten me as to what I have done wrong?

I've browsed the Avios Spending Guide thread and had a Google but have been unsuccessful.

The itamatrix shows fare from 2k but involve HEL?

I cannot see why LON - FRA or TXL - KEF and back is not possible?

If not I'll just pay cash and use another airline. I thought I'd try spending some of the Avios first.

Last edited by obiterdictum; May 17, 2014 at 3:02 pm
Old May 17, 2014, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Shouldn't you be searching for KEF? RKV is the domestic airport. I believe that AB flies to KEF. KEF may also be an airport that ba.com doesn't recognize in which case you will have to call.

Searching aa.com comes up with AB reward flights to TXL, DUS, MUC, and VIE to KEF that should be available as rewards with BAEC.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; May 17, 2014 at 3:05 pm
Old May 17, 2014, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Ok - further research looks as if it's simply not possible in the winter using oneworld due to the Air Berlin service appearing to be seasonal.
Old May 17, 2014, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Shouldn't you be searching for KEF? RKV is the domestic airport. I believe that AB flies to KEF.
Apologies, my mistake. Will amend the opening post.

I have been using KEF for the searches - the outcome is the same.
Old May 17, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by obiterdictum
Apologies, my mistake. Will amend the opening post.

I have been using KEF for the searches - the outcome is the same.
You are correct the service is seasonal.
See also:
http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...and-in-summer/
Old May 17, 2014, 3:57 pm

Air Berlin only fly Summer Seasonal same with Vueling as you could had possibly CMA TO IB Plus
Old May 18, 2014, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
You are correct the service is seasonal.
See also:
http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...and-in-summer/
Originally Posted by BAMANC
Air Berlin only fly Summer Seasonal same with Vueling as you could had possibly CMA TO IB Plus
Thank you for replying and confirming the information.
Old May 18, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
stick to WOW air, previously Iceland express!

http://wowair.co.uk
Old May 18, 2014, 5:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by aceman

One oddity of WOW is that you can book - as part of the upselling process during reservation - for the seat next to you to remain empty. I don't think it's "your" seat since I think they pair you in with another passenger doing the same. WOW were used by BA to rebook some passengers recently, when they had a diversion to KEF.

I've got an Air Berlin flight to Iceland coming up in a few weeks, via DUS, which outbound is fine but it looked to me that all the returns were overnight. Plenty of availability, but not RFS obviously but 20k Avios and 41.60 return. The choice was DUS, HAM, MUC, TXL and VIE. I find the AB website a bit tricky to work with in terms of planning, they blur in all the connections with the direct services, so I often use oneworld.com to see the routes they fly on, via the interactive map, and then use the oneworld pdf schedule to see the times.
Old May 18, 2014, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by aceman

Or Flybe. The timings aren't brilliant but they are significantly cheaper than Wow air (less than half the price) for the dates I'm looking at. With the caveat that it's only any good if you can get to Birmingham relatively easily though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.