Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Mirror Mirror on the wall, where should I go to get away from it all?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2014, 9:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

No more school holiday dates when I have to go away now (yeehah!) and I have my dates confirmed towards the end of September and so I am in need of another trip to recharge my batteries

Flying on BA I've narrowed it down to two choices basically, travelling in W or possibly an ex-EU CW:

1) West Coast USA. I've always wanted to hire a car and do a leisurely drive down Highway 1 from SFO, then drive through Death Valley then fly back from from LAX/SFO/LAS.

Any good Hotel recommendations and must do's on the way down?

2) HGK and SIN. I'd like to explore more of these places and the TR by Sixth Freedom regarding the latter has whet my appetite to go back there although I do love HKG as well!

Weather wise is HKG/SIN nice/dry at that time of year?
Old May 10, 2014, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I've done that drive a few times (in both directions). It's great and well worth it, good time of year too! Combine it with a trip to Napa and you're pretty much set. If you have the means, Auberge du Soleil is very nice there. There are lovely hotels off Hwy 1, and I'm trying to remember the one we stayed at last time near Carmel, right by the Pacific...
Old May 10, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
West coast Seattle, Oregon and San Juan islands
Old May 10, 2014, 10:44 am

So many fabulous places to visit and stay.

In Carmel, how about http://www.missionranchcarmel.com/

I don't like big cities, so chose Santa Barbara for a stop and really enjoyed this hotel http://hotelmilosantabarbara.com/

I could take every holiday driving up and down between SFO and SAN and not get bored - so many great places to visit and things to see and do. Some rather nice lodge type hotels with fireplaces etc down that coast there. I have not yet been north of SFO, will do that next trip.

Aladyinlondon recently did a trip in California and had a lot of good tips.

Of course, it all depends on what you like to do. I loved the whale watching trip that I did. I also enjoyed slumming it in a lighthouse hostel near SFO. Don't let anyone talk you into going to Solvang unless you are strangely obsessed with the film Sideways. If you want to see Danish stuff, go to Denmark.

My budget and finance committee has approved a trip somewhere nice in Q4, but I am struggling to find a time window.
Old May 10, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Death Valley is a fantastic place to visit (although still fairly toasty in September). You can stay overnight at Furnace Creek on your way through - then it's about a 3 hour drive to Las Vegas from there.
Old May 10, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel ŕ PUCCI GALORE
Hi Peter,

Going to SFO next year (if I can get back that it, which is proving virtually impossible…) so can't comment on this but HKG is great in September/October, perfect weather. Love that part of the world - long flight for WT+ though, do an ex-EU!!!
Old May 10, 2014, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
PETER01 ... have a look at a couple of the latest Bear's TRs (via my signature). There's a lot of driving around the West Coast in those, including a 5k mile road trip.

Just a thought ... you can PM me for the original authors if you can't work it out yourself.

Last edited by T8191; May 10, 2014 at 12:38 pm
Old May 10, 2014, 12:35 pm
Suspended

I left London and now live in SFO, its great here. Some fantastic restaurants, great weather (most of the time)....If you want to relax and take it easy this is def the place to do it...a major city without the London stress if that makes sense.

As someone else mentioned, from here you can drive up to Napa, that is also stunning. It's only an hour and a bit from here. Also consider driving down to SAN but that will take a good few days. Lastly, consider Vegas and if you plan it right and go during the week you can get some really cheap rooms/suites. So all in all could be a great trip. Smash up Vegas on the way home, win $5k on the tables...beautiful!!!!

^
Old May 10, 2014, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
I left London and now live in SFO, its great here. Some fantastic restaurants, great weather (most of the time)....If you want to relax and take it easy this is def the place to do it...a major city without the London stress if that makes sense.

As someone else mentioned, from here you can drive up to Napa, that is also stunning. It's only an hour and a bit from here. Also consider driving down to SAN but that will take a good few days. Lastly, consider Vegas and if you plan it right and go during the week you can get some really cheap rooms/suites. So all in all could be a great trip. Smash up Vegas on the way home, win $5k on the tables...beautiful!!!!

^
You remind me of someone...were/are you in banking?
Old May 10, 2014, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You remind me of someone...were/are you in banking?
Nope although wish I were...because instead of putting $5k down I could put $20k down!!!!
Old May 10, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
If you want to save some Avios, why don't you try the new Mykonos & Santorini routes? ^ They will be nice and quiet late September (but still warm).
Old May 10, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
SFO & HNL

cs
Old May 10, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
YVR is also very nice, do a trip through the rockies and home out of YYC?
Old May 10, 2014, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm a bit fed up reading trip reports about HKG/SIN/SFO/LAS as well as ruddy Honeylulu.

Be adventurous and go somewhere different. Even off the beaten track Europe has loads more to offer than those usual haunts.
Old May 10, 2014, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Do you want to join me in setting up a LOS trip? I understand the BA CC hotel has a funky bar/nightclub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.