Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sunday Express "Bad press" BA story [04MAY14]

Old May 4, 2014, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: The red, white, blue and silver one....

Morning all,

Front page of the Dail- sorry, Sunday Express, apparently an abnormally "hard, crashing" landing in Madrid occurred, where Cabin crew were badly injured, unable to work, and, because they were neck injuries, "could have had a link to death".

But, its all blamed down onto the Flight crew.

I don't get it, why don't they understand that bad landings happen, and the weather can change exceptionally rapidly (think of Windshear!)
Old May 4, 2014, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Sure it's frustrating - but perhaps best not to confuse a newspaper report (probably written by journalists with little interest or expertise in aviation) with a CAA investigation or a BA internal enquiry.

They reported a heavy landing and speculated on its causes. Perhaps unfair to the pilots, but, well, there you are: it's the press.

Newspaper reports and articles covering my potential Mastermind subjects routinely get details wrong, but the airing of the topics is always welcome.
Old May 4, 2014, 2:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
To assist those who don't have the newspaper, here is the online version:

British Airways steward's death 'is linked to horror landing'
Old May 4, 2014, 3:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I am much more interested in this article in the same paper...

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...e-bush-is-back
Old May 4, 2014, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I am much more interested in this article in the same paper...

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...e-bush-is-back
I wonder if they are as far off the mark on this article??
Old May 4, 2014, 3:38 am

"It had been flown by a senior BA manager who may have made an error as she came in to land, injuring all eight cabin crew"

That is the problem - they have got senior management flying the planes now. Whatever you think of Willy Walsh's management style, I'm sure his ability to fly a Boeing is worse.
Old May 4, 2014, 3:43 am

I am struggling to make any sense of this article. It is conjecture, badly written and claiming that either crew or BA are lying, about something which seems to have occurred two months ago (the landing), and now they are linking it to the tragic suicide?

I mean if the entire cabin crew was injured from a hard landing resulting in lockers popping open and oxygen masks falling down, we would have heard about this. That would be an incident with an investigation.
Old May 4, 2014, 3:45 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
From the article:
"The reported injuries included damage to legs, necks, back, vertebrates..."

I had thought that, between its staff and readership, the Express takes more of an interest in invertebrates
Old May 4, 2014, 3:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jonnywishbone
I wonder if they are as far off the mark on this article??
Ahem, I do wish to digress, but perhaps in OMNI?
Old May 4, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: BA silver
This is what I don't understand either. Why haven't we heard about this before now? Were passengers injured? Obviously if the whole flight crew is signed off something went wrong.
Old May 4, 2014, 3:51 am

I presume the CC were all sitting on crew seats for landing.Why were only they injured and none of the passengers?
Old May 4, 2014, 3:54 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wilko1
"It had been flown by a senior BA manager who may have made an error as she came in to land, injuring all eight cabin crew"

That is the problem - they have got senior management flying the planes now. Whatever you think of Willy Walsh's management style, I'm sure his ability to fly a Boeing is worse.
Walsh is a trained pilot is he not?
Old May 4, 2014, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by andset1191
Walsh is a trained pilot is he not?
Not current though.

I suspect they are referring to 1 of the Flying Training Managers,who count as management.
Old May 4, 2014, 4:17 am

Why are all the crew so ill but nothing heard about the passengers? The crew sit in backward facing seats with a double seat belt so I've always assumed they are better protected than us passengers. If the touchdown was severe enough to cause such serious damage to crew, then I would have thought many passengers would have been seriously injured by the jolt of landing badly.

Well, it is the Express and Maddy has gone quiet.
Old May 4, 2014, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I was expecting to find out how BA killed Diana or how Maddie was trying to get home in the wheel arches of a BA 737.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.