Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin Crews' Worst Route?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:56 pm

I haven't operated a LAS (yet) and I don't have an urgent desire of doing so. It's a 3-class aircraft to/from LGW... I've done a few IBZs and they're very hard work. Then again, any flight can be really hard work, depending on the timing of the flight, time of year etc.

I do like doing JER flights though. Quick flight time, rush rush rush, but the customers are always great, and it's fun to challenge the flight crew to set new speeding records
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
One crew member told me she didn't like ICN, not sure why - don't know if it was her least favourite route though.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Over the years, I've met different crews from different airlines and Mumbai was the least favourite from BA, NW (now Delta) and QF crews (not sure if they still fly there).
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA & BD Gold Once Upon a Time
A layover in RUH can't be much fun.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
You would be surprised.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by OldHigsonian
In Y on most transatlantic routes it looks like they have a couple hours of frantic activity followed by many hours of relative peace. The odd person brave enough to press the button and occassional visits to the galley.

I would expect in F there is more of a constant stream of serving to be done.

Of course on a route like Las Vegas the button pressing and visting is probably much more frequent.
I don't think so, in WT it is harder to sleep for the passengers and the crew therefore have a constant flow of customers often wanting to chat to the crew but in First they tend to be comfy and asleep and it is much more quiet after the service. Completely the opposite really.
Remember there are 3 crew up the front and 14 passengers, down the back there are 4 or 5 with 150-200 passengers.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The thing is: for crew, I imagine there are so many different reasons to like a roster or not: it could be that the flight is "hard work" on the passengers' side as some have said, it could be the timings, the length of the time off, it could be the city itself, or the hotel where BA puts them up, etc. It could even be that some routes might be more crowded than others (e.g. cabin configuration, loads) or that some planes might be more pleasant to fly than others (e.g. crew/pax ratio)? I imagine that some routes might even be more pleasant in some seasons than in others. I would guess that different crew members weigh those different elements in different ways (or even that for some, priorities could change at different times in their life and carrier, ie it might be better to explore far flung exotic destinations for a single crew and more tempting to get a more "compact" roster if they have a family with small children?) I may be completely off the mark though.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
I have a feeling that the night IBZ out of EDI this Summer will be very hard work for our Mixed Fleet crew as many of the customers will be in the party mood!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
The thing is: for crew, I imagine there are so many different reasons to like a roster or not: it could be that the flight is "hard work" on the passengers' side as some have said, it could be the timings, the length of the time off, it could be the city itself, or the hotel where BA puts them up, etc. It could even be that some routes might be more crowded than others (e.g. cabin configuration, loads) or that some planes might be more pleasant to fly than others (e.g. crew/pax ratio)? I imagine that some routes might even be more pleasant in some seasons than in others. I would guess that different crew members weigh those different elements in different ways (or even that for some, priorities could change at different times in their life and carrier, ie it might be better to explore far flung exotic destinations for a single crew and more tempting to get a more "compact" roster if they have a family with small children?) I may be completely off the mark though.
Yes, different crew like different destinations for many different reasons!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA Exec
As Littlegirl has said, it's personal preferences. We fly to a large number of destinations, each flight has it's own unique characteristics and it's horses for courses really. Example: Kuwait is probably my favourite. Quick flight time on a 747, two free Breakfasts at the hotel, very nice souk with cheap and healthy food. Nice, easy trip.

I'm sure some people wouldn't like it though!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel ŕ PUCCI GALORE
Originally Posted by baggageinhall
One former crew member told me that they much prefered serving Y to F given that 'the expectations of a Y passenger are generally a lot lower and they are grateful for what they get, the reverse being true in F'.
I think it's a good job that they 'saw the light' then

I'm sure there are plenty of arses in whichever class they fly, however if you are going to chose a hospitality industry in which to work then one must be flexible to the demands of that industry. If BA set their service to match the lowest expectations (god forbid I should give them ideas) then we are all doomed… It's not a flying Harvester.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
I fly TLV frequently, and I have had more than one crew make plain to me they find it a uniquely trying route - and all the worse since it went narrow-bodied. It has perks (one of the shortest long haul flights, with a nice TLV hotel between the flights, etc - but the behaviour of the pax can be very wearisome indeed, and often with a very high percentage of special meals to boot....
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Originally Posted by DominicB
and often with a very high percentage of special meals to boot....
When I flew back from Tel Aviv on Monday night they ran out of kosher meals! It must take a special kind of (lack of planning) to do that on that route. The chap next to me, who had pre-ordered, wasn't happy as it was Passover so he couldn't eat the vegetarian (pasta) option he was offered instead (ie no flour for Passover). Cabin Service Director gave him 4000 Avios on the spot, but still a rather major fail by whichever department is in charge of such things.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by badoc
I think it's a good job that they 'saw the light' then

I'm sure there are plenty of arses in whichever class they fly, however if you are going to chose a hospitality industry in which to work then one must be flexible to the demands of that industry. If BA set their service to match the lowest expectations (god forbid I should give them ideas) then we are all doomed… It's not a flying Harvester.
Quite! I couldn't think of a more unsuitable person to be a crew member. Without going into detail it wasn't their true calling and they did the job with their nose in the air.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:09 pm

Crew used to tell me the Tel Aviv and Delhi were not exactly the most fun routes for them. One was because the pay they got. Not sure if that has changed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.