Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Would BA consider offering the] Option to pay for 1 guest ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Would BA consider offering the] Option to pay for 1 guest ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Grande Annee
I hope BA do not offer this......the lounge access rules are fine as they are.
+1 ^
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:21 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Standard FT thread development.

1. OP suggests VS offer ability to pay for additional guest
2. Someone else suggests BA should offer GCH additional guests for free
3. Bunfight of people with families who they take on holiday in economy against those who don't have families/holiday in club commences

Popcorn at the ready.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by andset1191
Standard FT thread development.

1. OP suggests VS offer ability to pay for additional guest
2. Someone else suggests BA should offer GCH additional guests for free
3. Bunfight of people with families who they take on holiday in economy against those who don't have families/holiday in club commences

Popcorn at the ready.
You forgot:

4. Someone else suggests that popcorn would be an appropriate seasoning for the thread.

Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
VS are entitled to operate however they want but I cant see BA implementing this policy

I and I am sure many others are happy with the lounge rules as they are

but I would like the lounge staff to be better trained on who can and who cant enter as is often mentioned on here CE - UK domestic uk domestic - F same day travel etc etc
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
VS do not have a blanket pay at the door entry policy.

It is based on space availability and I'm guessing a little flexibilty in cases like the OPs where there is a youngish child involved. I'd say that if the OPs child was 18 the answer would likely be 'no' if the lounge was full or expected to be.

I'm assuming that all those who want BA to have a similar policy to VS would also be happy with BA implementing the VS policy that says a CH guest must be on the same flight as the host.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
BA could very easily implement a GCH pay for guest, or use voucher for guest, policy.

But would the GCHs who think this is a good idea be happy to be turned away whenever the lounge reaches capacity? I suspect not.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
As noted in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22688020-post74.html , my family of five (well, 2 adults, 2 kids, and an infant) are flying paid CW this summer (PHX-LHR-ZRH//FCO-LHR-PHX). We're calm, and our baby sleeps well, and I'm excited to write the trip report as I've not seen one by a family traveling in CW.

Anyway, it's unfortunate there's no way, as a GCH, to get us into the Flounge instead of Galleries, but it wasn't worth the difference in fare. Galleries would probably be fine (we'll just sit in the kids area probably), except that there's no hot food during our transfer time, and the lounge is usually crammed full.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Maybe I'm just feeling particularly good natured towards BA this week, given that they just gave me my first ever op-up, on any airline, ever... but my view is that if there was a pay for access approach similar to Virgin's, I'd cut over all my flying to BA immediately. Holiday travel is the only time I'd ever need a +3 option, and as a lowly gold, that's never going to happen.

Of course I could point out the relative disparity of GGLs getting 3 lounge enabling partner cards, whereas golds don't even get a single partner silver to give out... but that would obviously be hugely OT and sound like a case of sour grapes...
can confirm this, I got instant family account, and wife got silver with no ba flying at all, all her flights are rewards from my account

We ended up with enough air miles for 9x one way flights in sector 1 which we use the most, and you can use them for anyone, they don't need to be in your family account.

Was really impressed with all that, but not so impressed with their website, and no lounge at T1 cos they are moving, we get 10 quid card to use at costa at gate 8 of T1

On the point about DYKWIA people not happy with the idea, I would love to hear from more of them on this point, I don't think they can argue against this idea, the ones concerned on capacity, lets implement the 50% or 75% rule and that surely alleviates their concerns assuming its not a DYKWIA elitist concern, which I am sure it could never be
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:55 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
I for one would love to see a silver partner card X 1 for GCH and or a lounge joker or two for family travel. These jokers could be easily capacity controlled or certain heahy use periods excluded... I do beleive the partnercard would encourage many to do some extra travel

Or a spin could be a GCH could use XXX avios to purchase a partner card
Just ideas

I travel with the wee ones 1 time per year, so obviously for me it would be nice to use lounges etc then too, instead Ijust fly other companies with the kids but that revenue goes elswhere. I know I can buy J/F for the whole family so no need to reply with that
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:05 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Let's not forget the fact that BA do occasionally allow a 2nd guest, even when there is no right to take one in. Whilst I have never had any success in T5 (and stopped asking some time ago), I have equally never been refused in T3. At outstations it is something of a lottery, but it does happen from time to time.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
I think BA should have a few 'lounge joker cards' for family entry. You travel all year SOLO on paid F for work, become GGL or whatever and then when you do your yearly vacation in WT with family you can't take them into the lounge because you can only guest 1 or 2 or whatever. To limit abuse of these jokers they should be only when you are travelling with family etc
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:37 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by bafan
+1 ^
I 2nd that, you could have loads of people paying to guest someone in, then when it comes to an entitled person entering the lounge, it will be more heaving than normal, and seating areas taken up with non entitled people, keep it as it is, allow one guest, but not start allowing extra guests in for a price. My rant said
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HH Diamond.
Kids in lounges, going on holiday, hard to sit still, very excitable even noisy - shouty sometimes.
Parents who think that all other travellers enjoy (should suffer) their shouty little darlings.
Not all kids but 'some'.

Hmm? Can of worms....
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:54 am

This thread always reminds me that the summer hols are approaching .
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
I for one would love to see a silver partner card X 1 for GCH and or a lounge joker or two for family travel. These jokers could be easily capacity controlled or certain heahy use periods excluded... )
They'd be pretty useless then, since the Xmas, Easter and Summer holidays are a) very busy and b) exactly when they would be used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.