Search

Guess the tier points I'll get

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Guess the tier points I'll get

Hi,

There doesn't seem to be a clear answer to this, so thought it would be fun for people to guess what I'll get.

I'm flying on AA LHR to JFK and then JFK to GRU and back again. All in J.

I should get 560 BAEC tier points.

I'm currently in Brazil having completed the second leg. Fly home in a few days.

However on the way out at JFK they offered downgrades from business to economy plus for JFK to GRU. I took the offer. I did it on condition they put me in F on the way home and I specifically I said I wanted the F TPs so I would get enough for my next GUF. They also gave me a voucher and some Avios.

My new booking says F for the return sectors. The flown JFK to GRU sector says R class in MMB (I think it was originally I).

Also on MMB the old bookings are listed as cancelled and the new ones appear in Red. Its also not listed in my usual list of bookings, I have to enter in the booking ref to see it. So it seems like new tickets were issued.

Looking at the BA points calculator they don't have an option for calculating AA premium economy, even though the product exists. So what will it be:

140+140+140+140 as originally booked and paid for

140+35+140+140 because 35 is what I get for economy on AA

140+70+140+140 because 70 is full fare TPs for economy

140+90+140+140 because 90 is what BA gives you for a premium economy fare

140+(35 or 70 or 90)+210+210 because I fly F home

140+140+210+210 because I keep the TPs for the downgraded sector and get F points home

Thoughts? A small act of kindness for the correct guess and I'll let you know when they post!

Last edited by RolandLondon; Apr 23, 2014 at 9:08 am Reason: spelling and added info in RED
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by RolandLondon
Looking at the BA points calculator they don't have an option for calculating AA premium economy, even though the product exists.
I am afraid the product does not exist. Main Cabin Extra is merely extra legroom, and not a lot of it. AA doesn't give extra to its own customers for it, any more than BA gives extra Avios to people who pay for an exit row - which is what it amounts to.

My guess (and guess is exactly what it is)? Either your original planned amount, or the third option, downgraded TPs for the downgraded section, but regarded as full fat Y class (70 TPs). Upgrades on AA, even paid ones - their equivalent of AUP, don't get extra TPs on BA. Having said that, unlike BA, the AA gate staff have massive abilities to reallocate ticket buckets, so frankly it's a lottery. For all my AA flying I wouldn't have a clue in your position.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Apr 23, 2014 at 6:06 am Reason: Clarification
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
No idea, but you'll get a splitting headache sorting it out....

I would say you get the class you booked, not the class you flew. Similar as with upgrades. Just a guess though.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
My guess 140+70+210+210, if as you say both return sectors are reserved in F.

With AA, you get what is on the ticket, not what you fly. I think they will have reissued your ticket to ensure the F back inbound.

But as C-W-S said, nobody really knows. An if it's not even what you originally booked (560TP), you'll be hard-pressed to get it corrected, since you already took a voucher in compensation.

As a matter of interest, what were they offering for the downgrade and how much did you manage to squeeze out of them on the voucher? I would have needed quite a bit to give up my J seat JFK-GRU.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:37 am
Original Poster

The offer was $800 voucher and 10000 Avios. When I asked about the F upgrade which he did without hesitation I thought it was instead of the voucher but he then gave me the voucher too. No idea if I'll get the Avios, I didn't ask as I was more than happy.

I'm not one of these people who wants to negotiate hard for this sort of stuff. I explained why I wanted the extra TPs by travelling F, for my GUF and he said fine.

I don't really mind about the TPs, it just means I'll have to wait a bit longer for my GUF. I get to fly F, got a nice voucher and was happy to help them out of a mess.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Just an update, all the bookings marked in red, (including one routed to HDQ!) have now gone and the flight is now listed in the usual list of my flights on the BA website.

It says I'll get 140 for the JFK to GRU sector and 210 for each sector home. I'll let you know if/when they post.

Given that the difference between the worst case scenario and the best is 245 TPs I'm interested to see what happens. Looks like the AA lounge staff can really change bookings to what they want, although the guy who dealt with it seemed quite senior.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Well the points have just posted and everyone was wrong!

Instead of the original 560, I got 700. They gave me the 140 for the segment I did in economy plus and then 210 for each of the two segments in F.

I did have a slight panic at JFK on the way home when they couldn't find my booking. This was a lesson in keeping all paperwork and noting the names of the people who deal with you. They solved it after about 20mins.

I think I have been incredibly lucky given that I got maximum points, two segments in F and also a voucher too. It was well worth the downgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.