Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend day trip fares

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2015, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by sapper188
... free train ride into Geneva but you pay on the way back, just a small amount.
The free ticket extends to transfers to trams and buses in the metropolitan area.

On the way back, the ticket machine would not take my (Swiss) money but accepted my AmEx card, my smallest card transaction for ages (ever?). It's theoretically possible to spend the day without using local currency.
Old May 1, 2015, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Roger
The free ticket extends to transfers to trams and buses in the metropolitan area.

On the way back, the ticket machine would not take my (Swiss) money but accepted my AmEx card, my smallest card transaction for ages (ever?). It's theoretically possible to spend the day without using local currency.
What would cafes and small shops be like with accepting lowish value transactions (e.g. a coffee and mineral water)?
Old May 1, 2015, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Many thanks for the above help! Grabbed an AMS early out late back Sunday for three. Gave up on sun idea and went for practical. With a small Avios discount £71.00 each and a tenner each for the POD parking - living 20 mins from Heathrow sometimes has advantages! Will be interesting to see seat choice as GCH for HBO!!

Last edited by mikeyfly; May 1, 2015 at 8:57 am Reason: Added info
Old May 1, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by billyb750
Can only comment on the day trips that I have done:
Welcome to FlyerTalk billyb750. ^ Please do stick around.
Old May 2, 2015, 2:28 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Another 👍 for GVA. Did that last year (inspired by this thread perhaps ) and will do it again.
Originally Posted by sapper188
Maybe not sun but GVA was brilliant and as someone said free train ride into Geneva but you pay on the way back, just a small amount. Easy walk into town and we did a boat trip on the lake, great area to walk in and fantastic cafe's.
Old May 2, 2015, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by layz
What would cafes and small shops be like with accepting lowish value transactions (e.g. a coffee and mineral water)?
Sorry, I don't know. I usually have francs with me.

I suspect individual experience would vary.
Old May 3, 2015, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Many thanks for the above help! Grabbed an AMS early out late back Sunday for three. Gave up on sun idea and went for practical. With a small Avios discount £71.00 each and a tenner each for the POD parking - living 20 mins from Heathrow sometimes has advantages! Will be interesting to see seat choice as GCH for HBO!!
Tube is still cheaper IIRC?
(£10 RT to central London)
Plus, this is cheaper than the congestion charge
Old May 5, 2015, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Has anyone found a city in Europe that works for a day trip that is a bit 'off the beaten track', or is it best to go for the main cities?
Old May 8, 2015, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
Has anyone found a city in Europe that works for a day trip that is a bit 'off the beaten track', or is it best to go for the main cities?
How much off the beaten track? I regularly use the same day returns, and as I've seen the cities often look for interesting side diversions.

Eg, fly into Madrid, end up in Segovia http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/311
Fly into Rome, end up in Ostia Antica (note you're still in Rome ) http://www.ostia-antica.org/

You're only limited by your want to travel, and ability to understand local transport options.
Old May 8, 2015, 4:46 pm

Mainz is easily doable by suburban train from Frankfurt airport 15 mins direct.

Here's the tourist blurb: Without doubt: Mainz has an impressive past. Sometimes the Roman relics give away the fact that it has a 2000 year heritage, sometimes the magnificent baroque buildings remind one of the times of the Electors. The best architects and the most talented sculptors created the general character of the city. Mainz's Old Town, its city center, is the pride and joy of the city-scene. Broad, roomy squares, lovingly-restored half-timbered houses and magnificent Baroque churches give Old Town its charming, "gemuetlich" character. There are also many interesting shops waiting to be discovered.

More than enough for a day trip here.

Basel will also give you Mulhouse roughly 30 mins by shuttle bus & train http://www.tourisme-mulhouse.com/EN/...-mulhouse.html

Stockholm (ARN) gives direct rail access to the university town of Uppsala: Uppsala is home to the Nordic region’s oldest university founded in 1477, but the city itself and neighbouring Gamla Uppsala dating all the way back to the Viking era. This is the perfect place to experience the genuine rustic culture of the Uppland region.

Discover and explore our city’s past-present-future – our famous late 13th century Cathedral, our university and fraternities and 16th century Uppsala Castle. If you’d like to learn more about the famous Swedish 18th century botanist, Carl Linnaeus and his work, visit the Linnaeus Garden and his estate, Linnés Hammarby.

Revel in modern Uppsala’s bar, restaurant and café scene, or browse our shops, boutiques and malls for unique Swedish design items. And don’t miss the futuristic Uppsala Concert & Congress venue with its concerts and events.

Trains at least half-hourly journey time 18 mins

For some examples. Various free European rail time apps available for download.
Old May 9, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Wiesbaden is also close to Frankfurt and good for a day trip. Mainz is popular with crews, Hilton by the river was full of them, different airlines.

Stavanger could be good for a day trip if there's proper combination of flights and good weather forecast. I'm sure there's late evening flight back to LHR, but can't remember what time is the morning one to SVG.
Old May 9, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
SVG is definitely doable as a day trip, with a decent amount of time there. Though I'm not sure what there is to do there?
Old May 10, 2015, 3:10 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by G-AVFC
Basel will also give you Mulhouse roughly 30 mins by shuttle bus & train http://www.tourisme-mulhouse.com/EN/...-mulhouse.html
With a bit more time Colmar makes a much prettier place to visit than Mulhouse. The train station in Colmar is a bit of a walk from the town center though.
Old May 10, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Agree with suggestions for Mainz and Wiesbaden. Simple coach link from Frankfurt T2 to T1 where the regional rail is located..... There is also a spa at the Radisson in Wiesbaden (take your cossie) for around 17euros, tho' may not be open to the public every day.
Thermal pool great. Also a funicular railway for views and something different.
I don't know if Bergen is a day trip destination, but if it is, also well worth a visit. Bus from airport -stunning scenery walk around old town, go up the hill by transport there, too, or go out on a boat trip. Not cheap, but worthwhile.
Old May 10, 2015, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501
SVG is definitely doable as a day trip, with a decent amount of time there. Though I'm not sure what there is to do there?
Not much at all that I could see. It's a perfectly pleasant place, but there wasn't really anything to hold my interest. I spent a while in some sort of oil museum, wondered around the centre for a while then went to the airport early out of boredom!

I was in the area for Preikestolen, which would probably be doable in a day trip if you hired a car at the airport (though is no fun in the rain!). I'd imagine there are plenty of other fjords etc. you could see closer to the city too.

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
I don't know if Bergen is a day trip destination, but if it is, also well worth a visit. Bus from airport -stunning scenery walk around old town, go up the hill by transport there, too, or go out on a boat trip. Not cheap, but worthwhile.
I agree it's definitely not cheap - but it's possible to do on a budget if you try. I took my own food with me, drank tap water and walked everywhere (except from the airport) so ended up paying very little!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.