Weekend day trip fares

Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:07 pm

Darn it.

Finally home for long enough to consider doing one of these and it seems they're no longer offered. Sigh.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:32 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Darn it.

Finally home for long enough to consider doing one of these and it seems they're no longer offered. Sigh.
I'm looking at tomorrow and some of the fares are still available (VIE anyone?). I'm looking after the children tomorrow, but I'm not sure Mrs LA will be happy if I take them for a day trip somewhere!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
They are still there.

Marketing just seems to have made it more difficult to find them (in addition to the statement that these fares are no longer on offer, which is not true).

For example, although you can find both the fares and G class availability using EF, and pricing on ba.com matches that, ITA will not work as a search tool because it can't see the G class availability. If you de-select the availability search in ITA, the pricing tool works perfectly well (although as usual it can't price an HBO fare).
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:55 am

So does the launch page showing a summary of availability exist somewhere or do I have to search destination by destination now?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So does the launch page showing a summary of availability exist somewhere or do I have to search destination by destination now?
AFAIK, destination by destination.

You can still use ITA as a sort of shortcut to this, though. Search for (say) a round-trip to VIE and all airports within 1000 miles, on a certain date on which you're interested, limited to BA G class. Untick the box for the availability check. This should show you all the destinations to which there are valid G class day trip fares filed. Then use EF to go through all the destinations in which you might actually be interested, to see whether there is any G class availability on that day.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:37 am

Excellent tip, thanks Globaliser.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
Why would you untick the box for availability check?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I am just completing my Madrid day trip and loved every minute of it. All was very easy, I even managed to get into WTP for ET fare on the 767 outbound! If they come back, or you can find them hidden away, I would highly recommend doing one and Madrid is an easy option - if anyone wants any tips just ask.

Funnily enough, I need to fly to EDI tomorrow short notice for the day and have managed to get the 45 pound each way fare that they advertised as the daytrip fare there - and this is to travel tomorrow so they are still out there! As a comparison, I looked last night to do an overnighter and the price was nearer 400 pounds!!!

a slightly burnt person (Madrid was chuffing hot today) who swapped to an earlier flight home which is now delayed

aks120

Last edited by aks120; Jun 28, 2014 at 2:47 pm
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BA6501
Why would you untick the box for availability check?
Because:-
Originally Posted by Globaliser
... ITA will not work as a search tool because it can't see the G class availability.
I don't know why, but it can't. So you can only use it as a tool for finding the destinations to which G class fares have been loaded - but that is a good start for searching.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by aks120
I am just completing my Madrid day trip and loved every minute of it. All was very easy, I even managed to get into WTP for ET fare on the 767 outbound! If they come back, or you can find them hidden away, I would highly recommend doing one and Madrid is an easy option - if anyone wants any tips just ask.

Funnily enough, I need to fly to EDI tomorrow short notice for the day and have managed to get the 45 pound each way fare that they advertised as the daytrip fare there - and this is to travel tomorrow so they are still out there! As a comparison, I looked last night to do an overnighter and the price was nearer 400 pounds!!!

a slightly burnt person (Madrid was shuffing hot today) who swapped to an earlier flight home which is now delayed

aks120
What was the travelling like from the airport into Madrid?

We are in Geneva airport at the moment waiting for a slightly delayed flight home. We've had a lovely day too!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Because:-I don't know why, but it can't. So you can only use it as a tool for finding the destinations to which G class fares have been loaded - but that is a good start for searching.
Ah, I see. Thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by AlisonB84

We are in Geneva airport at the moment waiting for a slightly delayed flight home. We've had a lovely day too!
very easy! Geneva was my other option for today but I fancied some tapas! I got the metro line 8 then caught the hop on hop off bus - painless and quite quick!

aks120
Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium

...was at Geneva airport yesterday evening as well, waitng on a delayed flight back to London (BA 737). Had a lovely day in Geneva. Small world!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
We were on that flight too! What seats did you have?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
We were on that flight too! What seats did you have?
Row 4 (1st row behind the curtain)

Was in the Galleries lounge for the hour or so prior to our delayed take off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.