Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend day trip fares

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:20 am

Priced up some last night, but gone today.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Priced up some last night, but gone today.
Indeed. The "hello daytrip" page indicates the "sale" has ended. Some fares can still be found for this weekend, searching "as normal." Example-found GVA and/or MAD, both available for same-day returns at the Hellodaytrip prices, for this Saturday and Sunday.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
That's a shame. Oh well, those who are Avios rich can burn them up at £50 return for Club Europe and £35 Economy + Avios and still have a daytrip.

Hopefully they'll make a return.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I am off to MAD on one I booked a week ago. I was hoping for a POUG but nothing materialised! Hey ho - a day out is not to be sniffed at

aks120
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
How typical of BA - can just picture the meeting that decided to axe this weekend /day trip..

"what? The Pax actually like it? Even Flyer talkers like it? Disgraceful - pull it and let's call it an enhancement plus use it as a tool for negotiation with those pesky mixed fleet cabin crew telling them that we will make life easy in the cabins by reducing loads by the process of removing cheap day tickets and opportunity for exec club holders to upgrade into BC -after all the pooor loves serving up there dont want a full BC cabin to provide a salad and a hard roll!" Oh dear...well maybe it will return sometime in the future
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:55 am

Could it be that they removed the offer during summer months and then bring it back around September?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nivsy
How typical of BA - can just picture the meeting that decided to axe this weekend /day trip..

"what? The Pax actually like it? Even Flyer talkers like it? Disgraceful - pull it and let's call it an enhancement plus use it as a tool for negotiation with those pesky mixed fleet cabin crew telling them that we will make life easy in the cabins by reducing loads by the process of removing cheap day tickets and opportunity for exec club holders to upgrade into BC -after all the pooor loves serving up there dont want a full BC cabin to provide a salad and a hard roll!" Oh dear...well maybe it will return sometime in the future
My view of that meeting is something like this—

"The weekend day trip fares have been a success in that the cabin utilization on weekends is up by xxx % compared with last year, yyy % of which is due to weekend fares. We see it has not impacted other fares in those buckets. However, we expect much stronger weekend demand going into the summer and so there is no need to offer further price incentives for this period. We should unload this fare, as we planned, and consider bring it back in September when weekend demand is likely to become sluggish again."
Old Jun 27, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
if they would consider doing trips TO london in similar fashion (as requested by some on here). He said is was under consideration, so fingers crossed...^
They are now advertising day trips from Helsinki to London (109euro return) although their "suggested itinerary" is a bit ambitious since the first place to visit is 10:00 (under 1 hour after scheduled landing time) and last place to visit is 20:00, over an hour after the plane would have left for Helsinki !!

http://www.britishairways.com/en-fi/...aytripstoLondo
Old Jun 27, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Calchas
My view of that meeting is something like this—

"The weekend day trip fares have been a success in that the cabin utilization on weekends is up by xxx % compared with last year, yyy % of which is due to weekend fares."
Is there any evidence (anecdotal or otherwise) of how successful the daytrips have been? On both of mine (ARN and LIN), the crew we chatted to hadn't known about the existence of daytrip fares, and seemed very amused by the idea of just popping abroad for a few hours for leisure.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bruno-s
Could it be that they removed the offer during summer months and then bring it back around September?
This is the likely answer. Summer months sees high volumes of leisure passengers, who are also more likely to fly at weekends. The spare capacity that exisits in Fenruary or May isn't there in August so the raison d'etre for daytrip fares disappears.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aks120
I am off to MAD on one I booked a week ago. I was hoping for a POUG but nothing materialised! Hey ho - a day out is not to be sniffed at

aks120
No POUG either, with upgrade via MMB at pricing at £677 return.
Have one of the forward (blocked middle seat) rows anyways, only an hour-ish flight, and indeed, a day out!

Am agreeing with others that the likely reason for officially pulling the fares is leisure demand. (pure speculation 'tho, and would be interesting to hear)
Old Jun 27, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I've not tried other destinations, but there's some fares out of GVA on 12 Jul (other days will likely be available too) where it's £41 each way, so only marginally more expensive than the £40 each way for Hello Daytrip.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by nivsy

Don't be so ridiculous. I'm sure passengers would love year-round half price fares as well - doesn't mean it's a good idea for BA to actually do it.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
LHR-ARN seems to be £91 for a day trip on all the dates I've looked at (well, Saturdays). Slightly more than the £79 mentioned in the first post but not too bad (especially if you use 4500 Avios to save £30 off that price with a net lost of 940 Avios).
(well, not Jan 10th which is £437 for some reason!)
Not sure why during the summer, the first flight is at 7:45am yet in say February, it's 6:30am so you get an extra hour or so there.

Last edited by xenole; Jun 27, 2014 at 2:34 pm
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by layz
I've not tried other destinations, but there's some fares out of GVA on 12 Jul (other days will likely be available too) where it's £41 each way, so only marginally more expensive than the £40 each way for Hello Daytrip.
It looks to me like that is the daytrip fare (GW6V1R): £5 + TFC.

I'm constantly surprised by people who look at a piece of marketing-generated guff ("Sorry, this offer is not currently active.") and immediately believe that it is true. It might or might not be, but surely it's worth investigating?

The position is that the fares are currently still loaded (as a check on EF or ITA would quickly show), so any time that you see G class availability on flights that qualify for these fares, you should still be able to get the fares.

Last edited by Globaliser; Jun 27, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.