Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend day trip fares

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by vonlance
Got back on saturday from Geneva. A very hot and clear sunny day!

Managed to grab a spot of breakfast in a packed Flounge.
Took the 08.20 flight that was delayed due to offloading someone's luggage, i slept through most of it anyhows.
Arriving at Geneva, read the advice given here and picked up a free train ticket at the end of carousel 5.
The tricky part was finding the train into the town centre but i grabbed one on platform 3 which took around 5mins.
If you are doing a bit of walking near the joncion i popped into small ice cream parlour called Glacier ArtyGlaces. They do amazing ice cream!! the zing on their sorbet is astounding!
Due to the weather i couldn't handle too much walking and called it quits around 4pm and headed back.
My sweaty boarding pass wouldn't let me into the security fast lane but traffic was surprisingly quick anyway.
Used my Priority pass to relax in the Swiss business lounge and take advantage of even more ice cream, taking one for the flight too was perfect as i looked out the window saying goodbye to Geneva.

Ticket cost £58 + 3k avios. Great day out and no hayfever attacks.
We also did the Geneva route and walked from the train station into town, which was great as you see so much. Also did a 1 hour lake cruise .
Old Jun 23, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC
Has BA stopped doing these for the summer? It seems next week is the last one with any availability. 5/6 and 11/12 July are all showing SOLD OUT for all destinations.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by sapper188
I totally agree with you on the CE price, we went to Geneva in economy and they kept offering us an upgrade online for about an extra £500!! On our return journey Club had 3 pax and when I asked the CSD if we could upgrade onbourd, she said no. I think I read on here that they have an onboard pack to upgrade?
Our benefit would be the lounge/fast track as we are Bronze
Nope, I think it was trialled at some point on longhaul but definitely not on shorthaul.

The old adage on here is that BA is happy to let their premium classes go empty in order not to cultivate the impression that you are guaranteed a cheap upgrade (or UuA) after buying a bargain basement economy ticket. That said I've always been offered sensibly-priced POUGs on the day trip fares.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: Meow Mix
Originally Posted by shefgab
Has BA stopped doing these for the summer? It seems next week is the last one with any availability. 5/6 and 11/12 July are all showing SOLD OUT for all destinations.
I too was thinking the same. Does anyone know if this weekend is the last set of day trip fares?

/AE
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by paulieuk
Ahhh, apologies offered and forgiveness requested.

And yes, in that situation I would be feeling annoyed too. Hope things improve for you.
No worries. I'm willing to bet it's some issue with the weird BA flight operated by IB or something that's easier to handle from LHR.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by shefgab
I suppose the flights are busy enough at weekends over the summer that they don't need to offer these fares.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I got a LGW-BCN-LHR for the 5th last night. Last seat on BCN-LHR. The LGW-BCN however was not part of a daytrip fare (V class).
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by csutter
Nope, I think it was trialled at some point on longhaul but definitely not on shorthaul.

The old adage on here is that BA is happy to let their premium classes go empty in order not to cultivate the impression that you are guaranteed a cheap upgrade (or UuA) after buying a bargain basement economy ticket. That said I've always been offered sensibly-priced POUGs on the day trip fares.
If I wasn't up in EDI this weekend I think if try booking one on the off chance of a POUG. Hopefully availability for subsequent weeks will start to reappear.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
With weekend free, am seriously thinking on one of these for Saturday....
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skye1
With weekend free, am seriously thinking on one of these for Saturday....
Go for it. The following two weeks are sold out so you might have a while to wait for your next opportunity.

Geneva is a good option (I did have a brief TR written but my browser crashed when I'd composed most of it).
Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by layz
Go for it. The following two weeks are sold out so you might have a while to wait for your next opportunity.

Geneva is a good option (I did have a brief TR written but my browser crashed when I'd composed most of it).
...and my top option at the moment (just confirming weather forecast isn't too dismal).

If arriving at 10:55 (on the 8:20 departure), is that still enough time for a non-rushed day out?

(...not opposed to the earlier 6:40 one if needed)

Last edited by skye1; Jun 25, 2014 at 6:40 am
Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...and my top option at the moment (just confirming weather forecast isn't too dismal).

I'll have a look for your TY.

If arriving at 10:55 (on the 8:20 departure), is that still enough time for a non-rushed day out? Not opposed to the 6:40 departure, if necessary, but wouldn't mind waiting until public transport opens up for getting to Heathrow.
I lost the trip report as the browser crashed before I'd put it together.

I took the 8:20 departure and the last flight back. Make sure you get your free train ticket from the baggage reclaim area before heading to the station. Note the free ticket is outward only, you'll need to buy a ticket to get back to the station (still, not many cities give you any free travel!).

Funny thing is there's a regular rail ticket machine next to the one dispensing free tickets (as GVA rail station serves other destinations that aren't free) and there was a queue at that one, but no one getting the free tickets. Many of them I seen on the same train as myself going to Geneva.

From the city centre rail station the lake is walkable. Plenty of places to relax, have a meal, enjoy the scenery, go for a walk, etc. There's also boat trips on the lake including a lunch cruise (didn't get the details of this).

Trains are frequent, I aimed to arrive back at the city centre station 90 minutes before departure. Trains only take about 10 minutes. If you're unfamiliar with the airport you might want to leave a little sooner.

I was staying in a hotel the night before travelling, so I had a small bag with a change of clothes. I noticed lockers were available both in the airport and the station.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by layz
I lost the trip report as the browser crashed before I'd put it together.

I took the 8:20 departure and the last flight back. Make sure you get your free train ticket from the baggage reclaim area before heading to the station. Note the free ticket is outward only, you'll need to buy a ticket to get back to the station (still, not many cities give you any free travel!).

Funny thing is there's a regular rail ticket machine next to the one dispensing free tickets (as GVA rail station serves other destinations that aren't free) and there was a queue at that one, but no one getting the free tickets. Many of them I seen on the same train as myself going to Geneva.

From the city centre rail station the lake is walkable. Plenty of places to relax, have a meal, enjoy the scenery, go for a walk, etc. There's also boat trips on the lake including a lunch cruise (didn't get the details of this).

Trains are frequent, I aimed to arrive back at the city centre station 90 minutes before departure. Trains only take about 10 minutes. If you're unfamiliar with the airport you might want to leave a little sooner.

I was staying in a hotel the night before travelling, so I had a small bag with a change of clothes. I noticed lockers were available both in the airport and the station.
Sorted. Looking forward to this!
(Happy to guest any into the F lounge that morning if any others are day-tripping on Saturday).
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Now officially dead/suspended.....

"Sorry, this offer is not currently active.
Even though the offers have now ended, you can still find a great deal
Holidays and destination guides"

Hopefully just for the summer, but I enjoyed them whilst they were there.....
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver

If arriving at 10:55 (on the 8:20 departure), is that still enough time for a non-rushed day out?

(...not opposed to the earlier 6:40 one if needed)
We left on the 09.20 from T5 and returned on the 21.15 and that was plenty of time for a day trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.