New GGL benefit - free transfer of Avios

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
New GGL benefit - free transfer of Avios

Email received today.

Might come in useful:

We're delighted to bring you another great way to share the value of your Gold Guest List membership with those who are most important to you.

From now on, you can transfer a total of 162,000 Avios per year, for free, to Executive Club Members* that's up to 27,000 Avios per person.

Remember, you can already pay to transfer a total of 162,000 Avios, so with this additional benefit, you'll be able to transfer up to 324,000 Avios a year. Twice as many as before.

Whether you want to surprise someone with a gift of Avios or plan a trip with the people who are most important to you — share your Avios with them for free so they can enjoy their next reward flight even sooner.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
I don't think it's specifically a GGL benefit - I got the email too.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Originally Posted by flibbly
I don't think it's specifically a GGL benefit - I got the email too.
Good to know actually. I have a GCH colleague the other day who wanted to send a load of Avii over for something.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC (GGL)
Originally Posted by HighLife
Good to know actually. I have a GCH colleague the other day who wanted to send a load of Avii over for something.
Raffles got the inside scoop on Head for Points before BAEC sent the email. He does a great job of explaining.

http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/04...one-else-free/

As per Raffles, the difference between the Gold and GGL benefit is that Gold's can only transfer to members of their Friends and Family list, whereas GGL's can apparently transfer to anyone.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
All these GGLs who keep saying they can't use all the millions of Avios they have are quite welcome to send them my way now

I got the email as well although no-one else in my family really flies.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
Ah good spot Work2Travel333, I only skim read HighLife's post as I had just read my version of the email.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I got that email too. Still miffed about change fee changes
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: BAEC
Yeah. Sorry, but this benefit is for lowly golds, too
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Pretty useless new benefit IMHO, certainly compared to the loss of free reward flight changes
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
The reason they are allowing you to transfer those Avios is that they think you aren't using enough of them and if you transfer them to others, they will use them and that means BA is getting all those surcharges from them! ;-)
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Pretty useless new benefit IMHO, certainly compared to the loss of free reward flight changes
I think this is useful to have. When I looked at transferring some Avios a few months ago, I was amazed to find there was a cost; and I was horrified by how much the cost was. I didn't do the transfer...but I will do so now
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Gshumway
The reason they are allowing you to transfer those Avios is that they think you aren't using enough of them and if you transfer them to others, they will use them and that means BA is getting all those surcharges from them! ;-)
And, no doubt, at the same time massively increase award availability to accommodate that.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bafan
I think this is useful to have. When I looked at transferring some Avios a few months ago, I was amazed to find there was a cost; and I was horrified by how much the cost was. I didn't do the transfer...but I will do so now
Prior to their introduction of the F&F element I could see a bit more of a benefit but now it doesn't seem that useful. Obviously different for everyone but between F&F and Household a/c's I didn't really have an issue on this front.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
And, no doubt, at the same time massively increase award availability to accommodate that.
They hope people will use them on cattle class inventory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.