Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BAEC Status and upgrades with other OW carriers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BAEC Status and upgrades with other OW carriers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
I underwent this thought process in 1998 when I moved out to LA from EC1, at which time I was a Beardy Airlines aficionado....onboard manicure anyone (and I am a bloke).

For me, the answer to the question lies in your volume of TATL travel on BA vs. Domestic AA travel. And not lounge access. Domestic lounges here in LA are generally total crap and I just have just developed a schedule where I don't waste time at the airport to sit around in AA lounges.

If you will do lots of domestic AA, the I would think about AAdvantage because of the F upgrade availability. That is a very cool benefit. But if you are doing more TATL, then credit BAEC because the TP's from AA domestic will get you GCH in no time and generally AA F is not so much more $$ than AA Y.

I gave up on Beardy Airlines (apart from really Bad JFK-LHR FA experience - a story for another day) because the 3 or to TATL's I did a year never got me to VS AU. VS Silver is as much use as a chocolate teapot. But 2 or 3 TATL's on BA, plus a bunch of AA F domestic (For some reason, lots of my cases are in Boston, so its 420 TP's round trip), and I make BA GCH each year without a breaking a sweat.

I think about this topic every time I am in the Flounge/CCR drinking my fill of Prelude/Castelnoo/LPGS - that i could be over in T3 in far less comfortable surroundings.... So may be its an emotional thing. After a bunch of years here, perhaps I get nostalgic for Britain and BA makes me think of home, something AA can't achieve.

Last edited by Purim; Apr 17, 2014 at 3:34 pm Reason: typos
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: QFF Platinum (OWE) VA Gold
Don't forget your OW Emerald status will get you into the three Flagship lounges in the US, regardless of what you are flying, where as AA (OWE)'s can only access if flying International.

Yes there are only 3 lounges (ORD, LAX, JFK) but worth a visit

As a QF Platinum I never get any upgrades as they always go to CL's and WP1's

Last edited by Kefci2000; Apr 17, 2014 at 5:30 pm
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Purim
Domestic lounges here in the US are generally total crap and I just have just developed a schedule where I don't waste time at the airport to sit around in AA lounges.
Fixed it for you
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:40 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
There is a lot of wise advice in what IMH says.
You say the sweetest things.

Originally Posted by Purim
Domestic lounges here in LA are generally total crap
... but on occasions (IRROPS) it can be extremely beneficial to have access to the generally very helpful AAngels who can only be found in Admirals Club lounges.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Fixed it for you
Ha! Yes, very good.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VX Gold
If you are traveling domestic F on AA it is vastly easier to get to BA gold than AA EXP. The tier point bonus is disproportionately large compared to the AA mile x 1.5 system for F. You could reasonably expect to pay no more than $3-$4/TP so BA gold is achievable with <$5000 of domestic spend plus 4 BA segments. That amount of flying would make it tricky to get Platinum let alone EXP on AA.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by britsv
If you are traveling domestic F on AA it is vastly easier to get to BA gold than AA EXP. The tier point bonus is disproportionately large compared to the AA mile x 1.5 system for F. You could reasonably expect to pay no more than $3-$4/TP so BA gold is achievable with <$5000 of domestic spend plus 4 BA segments. That amount of flying would make it tricky to get Platinum let alone EXP on AA.
Hence the TP run phenomenon to get GGL etc with max AA flights. I've done quite a bit of AA domestic travelling this month while based in Florida and always looking around the cabin to see obvious examples of BA TP fanatics (taking photos of their food tray, the back of the seat in front of them, their BP on their lap, etc )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.