British Airways first class: then and now

Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Flat-beds instead of recliners and nobody smoking near you -- I'll take today's premium cabin's over those of "the good old days" any day.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kileysmom
Do you think part of the allure of "Old" F was the fact that everyone "dressed" for the flights and behaved as if they were in someone's living room or a nice hotel? Now we have bare feet on the vertical surfaces (my last F in Feb), folks who think the CC are there to be personal servants and maids so they strew their newspapers, magazines and all sorts all over the place. The whole cabin starts to feel very downmarket by comparison to those days of "Old" F.
+1 sadly yes, in my view.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FLT001
There's also a Daily Mail version

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...-40-years.html

Who can spot the huge error first?
Anya Hinsmarch?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways

They show the LCY/JFK CW seat and refer to it as a First Class seat.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:09 pm
Suspended

They do? What picture is that?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:49 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Gomac
Nice article, many thanks for posting. Interesting to see that in the past they used to slow the flight so that there was more time for the passengers to enjoy the service. I would welcome that on some of the shorter sleeper services today!
So true. I had the dreaded announcement last night in JFK - "The good news is that we have a short flight time of just 8 hours".
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
Flat-beds instead of recliners and nobody smoking near you -- I'll take today's premium cabin's over those of "the good old days" any day.
Quite.

I've been flying F since the early 80s on BA and a range of other airlines and have to say that the service and food *had* to be good because, frankly everything else was so poor.

Smoke everywhere, dodgy mainscreen IFE with air tube headsets, impossible to sleep in those seats, much more turbulence as the 747-100/200s flew lower, much worse air quality, noise and not forgetting that it all cost the price of a small car!

BA's flat be revolution was a game changer and the other elements of the flight are far less significant than used to be the case.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
The "1995" version of F (which is actually the 2000 post-Hoppen refresh, the original looked far more austere and corporate) looks very inviting in the photograph I have to say.
I was thinking the same, and I think its cream carpet that makes it look so special, never seen a that in any other pics before, wonder if it was just a proto-type before the actual cabin was rolled out as I would imagine it would become dirty very quickly!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Gomac
I was thinking the same, and I think its cream carpet that makes it look so special, never seen a that in any other pics before, wonder if it was just a proto-type before the actual cabin was rolled out as I would imagine it would become dirty very quickly!
The original F from 95 had those dodgy suedette arm rests that looks grubby quite quickly, I think the old CW Cradle Seats had a similar upholstery thing going on. I remember the cabin being very blue and quite dark inside. I always thought the vinyl walnut effect made the post Hoppen cosmetic makeover F cabin look cheap like the interior of a mass market US car.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Not that I remember LOM.
The First service in 1989 was the best service we ever offered.
+1 I started flying F in 1990 so same cabin. Those "recliner" seats were IMO as comfortable to sleep in as the new F today. (As long as the seat next t you was empty to you at least knew the person.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 2:20 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
The New F seat on the A380 came short of many top travelers expectations including myself. At the moment, I find LH new F seat more superior to BA one.

I think BA should work harder and smarter on presenting a super first class seat on the new A350 fleet.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: UA Silver; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Does anyone know what the 1949 "invalids" meals were? I am genuinely curious about which conditions they were intended and what they contained. I personally am a GFML guy for legit medical reasons, so special meals interest me.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: UA Silver; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond

A 6.6-inch bed is totally the epitome of luxury, assuming one is a gerbil.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: DL - Diamond. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum. Starwoods - Lifetime Platinum
Fun read seeing the evolution.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by oscietra
not forgetting that it all cost the price of a small car!

BA's flat be revolution was a game changer and the other elements of the flight are far less significant than used to be the case.
Exactly.

I do wonder how BA manage to make a profit at all considering the quality of all their products are still on the plus side. J class travel never mind F travel was out of reach of most peoples pockets in those days. Now it's not which considering the price of oil today is frankly amazing.

The pampering might not be as good today as it was back then but the same can be said for most of the service industry sector. I remember as a young boy travelling on the Royal Scot enjoying a silver service meal in the dining car.....and being called Sir.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.