Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways first class: then and now

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; IHG
I do like the reference to complementary cigarettes being handed out after take off and after meals; how times have changed.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:41 am
Suspended

Id suggest weighing more heavily comments from those that actually fly.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Not that I remember LOM.
The First service in 1989 was the best service we ever offered.
Yes, but the cabin looks like a crematorium
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The CSD used to be actively engaged in the F cabin before the service downgrade.
No, not true.

Maybe on the 767 when it was a Midfleet aircraft but definitely not on any other aircraft in all the years I have worked for BA.
In fact I would go as far as saying you are more likely to see a CSD visit First Class nowadays. They never helped with the service at all.
They helped with the CW service during the meal delivery and some very proactive ones would go and help in WT during the bar service but that was rare.

Last edited by Littlegirl; Apr 17, 2014 at 10:00 am
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
British Airways first class: then and now

Was the food actually nice? Expectations were low compared with today's menus - this is the era when a green capsicum was considered highly exotic.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
The First service in 1989 was the best service we ever offered.
Yes, I agree. It was real First Class back then!

The seats were actually really comfy and very large.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Aside from the typos in the article, I thought the small paragraph on Concorde to be odd:

1976: The inaugural commercial Concorde flight travels from London to Bahrain. The aircraft sets new standards in luxury but is withdrawn from service in 2003. Competitor companies would later propose a return to commercial supersonic flight but they remain unfulfilled.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
The "1995" version of F (which is actually the 2000 post-Hoppen refresh, the original looked far more austere and corporate) looks very inviting in the photograph I have to say.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Do you think part of the allure of "Old" F was the fact that everyone "dressed" for the flights and behaved as if they were in someone's living room or a nice hotel? Now we have bare feet on the vertical surfaces (my last F in Feb), folks who think the CC are there to be personal servants and maids so they strew their newspapers, magazines and all sorts all over the place. The whole cabin starts to feel very downmarket by comparison to those days of "Old" F.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:06 am

I'm intrigued by the drinks they used to serve:

'Posset, an Elizabethan drink made by mixing hot milk, spices and liquers'
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AMEX Plat and all that comes with it.
There's also a Daily Mail version

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...-40-years.html

Who can spot the huge error first?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Noticeably hasn't the overall product away from the seat become progressively worse as anyone exposed to the reduction over that time would know. I am sure your extensive personal experience CE would bear this out.

I do remember the best of my early busy flights the CSD was in the thick of things delivering service. I thought this was the standard back the but clearly they were just excellent CSDs much like CIHY.
That is very kind of you LOM.
I do have a vague recollection of the CSO having to work on one end of a trolley when we had 36 seats in First Class, but that back in the early eighties.
The First cabin and service introduced in 1989 was fantastic, everything was the best quality and every element was improved.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
That is very kind of you LOM.
I do have a vague recollection of the CSO having to work on one end of a trolley when we had 36 seats in First Class, but that back in the early eighties.
The First cabin and service introduced in 1989 was fantastic, everything was the best quality and every element was improved.
I very much remember my very first F flight in 1999 and the superb CSD (Paul someone) worked the cabin throughout the meal service. I recall having a lobster tail starter, a choice of normal or Rose Krug plus another vintage champagne, filet mignon (properly cooked medium rare) plus other fab courses.

There was a massive array of wines on offer including at least 2 decent montrachets as white options.

Sadly within a few years everything went tango uniform.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by pipsi
I do like the reference to complementary cigarettes being handed out after take off and after meals; how times have changed.
Another BA "enhancement" dressed up in health and safety rubbish. They could at least keep the benefit for Gold card holders, or even GGLs.

I'm never flying BA again.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:49 pm
Suspended

The centrepiece of the 1989 cabin looks like the place where coffins go at a crematorium.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.