Search

A380 Service Changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
A380 Service Changes

It seems that now that the A380 has settled into service a few things have changed. I haven't taken an A380 flight since the end of last year but now the grey PJs are apparently no more (we had blue ones to HKG last night) and the wine list is more bog standard F fayre so no more Corton Charlemagne. The tasting menu is still there but wasn't really my cup of tea.

I don't recall reading about this anywhere so thought I would share here.

Overall our flight was OK if mediocre, although I did leave the lemon sole which was overcooked and tasteless, it was replaced with another option which I was coerced into accepting despite being happy to skip the main course

It is a shame that the A380 service is being altered in this way (presumably to save cost), on balance now I wish we were taking the 777 back.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:47 am

Boo to that!

In my naivety I'd assumed the F service changes on the A380 would be rolled out to other aircraft over time, rather than regressed.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:55 am

Shame, I much preferred the grey pyjamas. Did the crew actually say they're no more or had they just packed the wrong bag on the way over?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Fiddlesticks!

Thanks L-o-M for the update - had A380 F trip booked in Oct specifically to try the enhanced service (as opposed to the 'enhanced' service)!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

CSD confirmed the grey Pjs are gone for good
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
What a shame. I have been looking forward to trying this service at some point. It's not on any of my usual routes and so my wife and I were looking to use Avios to LAX (I know the availability is a different issue!) on our way to OGG for our anniversary next year. If people are saying the 777 is just as good, I may not bother to go via LAX at all.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I prefer the F service on the 777 to be honest. The seat on the A380 is bigger and a bit better but the cabin feels a bit odd. You also lose the bistro menu for the dubious benefit of the tasting menu which now seems to be the only effective difference in F on the A380.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
I've only ever done F on a 777 (and very few times), so I was wanting to give it a go. Not done it on the 744, but the consensus seems to be that the 777 is much better anyway.

How is the seat better on the A380. Is the actual seat larger, or just the space around it?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gustavmahler
I've only ever done F on a 777 (and very few times), so I was wanting to give it a go. Not done it on the 744, but the consensus seems to be that the 777 is much better anyway.

How is the seat better on the A380. Is the actual seat larger, or just the space around it?
The seat itself is the same it is the design of the surrounding area, personal wardrobe etc. that is much better. The cabin lacks a bit of atmosphere though if that makes any sense, it feels slightly sterile.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Apr 15, 2014 at 7:40 am
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The seat itself is the same it is the design if the surrounding area, personal wardrobe etc. that is much better. The cabin lacks a bit of atmosphere though if that makes any sense, it feels slightly sterile.
I think the seat itself may be slightly wider, at least around the feet. But the biggest difference is certainly in the overall footprint of the seat, which is much bigger and a complete waste imo.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
I agree with the comments of the OP. There is no much difference between the A380 and the 777 in First. On my last flight from LAX on the A380 in First I had to request the eye mask and the socks. These should always be provided in First! The PJ's are the standard blue. The headsets are of very poor quality. Really a shame. BA is now a lightyear behind in terms of service and hard product in First and in J in comparison with its competitors flying the A380. I still use BA when price and time schedule suit me very well.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
I expect the different PJs were designed to promote the launch of A380 service, but expect that having different PJs for different aircraft doesn't really make sense.

But I am unsure how it makes the A380 a less attractive option, they were essentially the same PJs, weren't they?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by London_traveller
Boo to that!

In my naivety I'd assumed the F service changes on the A380 would be rolled out to other aircraft over time, rather than regressed.
Enhanced, not regressed.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: BAEC
I got the blue PJs at the start of April - not the end of the world but was hoping for the others. The menu didn't inspire in anyway and I was left with the cheese plate again.

Most surprising was the state of the cabin - tomato soup (I think) was spattered all over the ceiling next to 1K (I was in 2K) How it got there is a mystery - why it hadn't been cleaned was an even bigger one. (this was on X-LEA)

The bit where the tray table is stored was scratched and there were stains on the carpet within the 2K area - such a shame BA aren't paying attention to the cabin maintenance of these new aircraft.

I also wanted to have a nose upstairs into CW but the forward stairs were roped off throughout the flight? I was taking a picture when the senior first officer came and had a chat - he was super and allowed me to see the cockpit and the crew rest area just behind their seats - I guess that at least was more interesting than snooping around CW.

BA need to seriously look at the cleaning and maintenance of the cabins - its so disappointing to see new aircraft looking a little shabby already. Food was mediocre on both legs.

Had X-LEE on the way back - that at least was spotless.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Looking forward to my first A380 experience on Saturday ( LHR-LAX enroute to KOA for a week) in CW (51k)

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.