Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Children and Lounge Computers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Risking email credentials (or worse flyertalk credentials) to a lounge computer?

Getting a boarding pass, checking travel, pre-emptively checking alternate travel for when your delayed flight moves to cancel, scanning the latest news headlines, all good. I wouldn't type a password in though.
Which airline lets you get a boarding pass without typing in a password?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Which lounge was this? Was it third party operated?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:44 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Every US airline for sure. You can just give them your confirmation number and your last name and it will pull it up.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
Every US airline for sure. You can just give them your confirmation number and your last name and it will pull it up.
Granted, though I'd suggest the combination of surname and booking ref is analgous to a password.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Ba
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:38 am

Ba
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by SteveF
Is he not now an ex-employee?
He's still employed. One of our core values is "We learn from our mistakes". You can be sure he'll never do it again.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
One of our employees went to Australia for a week without telling IT to put a roaming package on their phone and came home with a bill in excess of $55,000 for roaming and data charges.
Highest roaming charge I've seen is Ł6/MB, or Ł1.80 a minute.

US$55k is Ł34k. For 7 days, 24 hours a day, that works out to be 168 hours, or Ł200 an hour, 33MB/hour, or 73kbit a second. So that's doable in a city. Just about.

Was he watching TV 24 hours a day or something?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:02 pm

Highest roaming charge I've seen is Ł6/MB, or Ł1.80 a minute.

US$55k is Ł34k. For 7 days, 24 hours a day, that works out to be 168 hours, or Ł200 an hour, 33MB/hour, or 73kbit a second. So that's doable in a city. Just about.
We're Canadian based, and Canada has some of the highest roaming charges in the world at $25-30/MB. When all your email gets pushed to your phone the data usage can add up quickly. I forget the rate for voice calls back to Canada, but it was obscene.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/06..._n_873723.html

There have been numerous stories in the media of people who go to Mexico for a week's holiday and come home to a bill for $10-15K for wireless charges.

Here is one, $22,000 for 700MB of youtube: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...fido-1.1333067

Last edited by Jagboi; Apr 16, 2014 at 2:13 pm
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
We're Canadian based, and Canada has some of the highest roaming charges in the world at $25-30/MB. When all your email gets pushed to your phone the data usage can add up quickly. I forget the rate for voice calls back to Canada, but it was obscene.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/06..._n_873723.html

There have been numerous stories in the media of people who go to Mexico for a week's holiday and come home to a bill for $10-15K for wireless charges.

Here is one, $22,000 for 700MB of youtube: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...fido-1.1333067
Why these people don't take out their SIMs when going to another nation is another question...
(I always do unless there is a roaming agreement...)
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Why these people don't take out their SIMs when going to another nation is another question...
(I always do unless there is a roaming agreement...)
Most people probably are not tech savvy enough to know about SIM's. It might also be a Canadian thing because phones are always sold with a contract and are locked to a particular carrier. You cannot buy a SIM card separately from a phone here. I'm sure after saying that someone will prove me wrong, but it's certainly unusual.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Was he watching TV 24 hours a day or something?
Something!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Most people probably are not tech savvy enough to know about SIM's. It might also be a Canadian thing because phones are always sold with a contract and are locked to a particular carrier. You cannot buy a SIM card separately from a phone here. I'm sure after saying that someone will prove me wrong, but it's certainly unusual.
I am aware of contract locking (I myself am a Canadian citizen and this practice is also common in Singapore and the USA where a rebate/discount is given in exchange for a contract.)
As for buying a SIM separately from a mobile, yes you can in Canada.
I would not call my coworkers tech savvy, though I know at least some who also hold Malay SIMs that they use when they cross the causeway (they are Malays with Singapore PR.)
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:18 pm

I'd like to think of myself as tech saavy. I travel to a fair few countries (see sig), and I'm certainly not going to go to the trouble of maintaining 20 sims for each country on some terrible PAYG deal, with the right data bits enabled, then make sure my phone is forwarded to the right one so I receive incoming calls, then have all the hassle on landing of getting the phone working when I find the sim has expired, for 5 days a year.

My phone bill is high, but compared with my hotel bills or my flight bills it's peanuts.

That said, I have a Ł100 a month = 200MB international data usage plan, which has plenty of room for taxi-email and perhaps the occasional flyertalk check

I've seen high bills in the tens-of-thousands, but that's on satellite phones (or more likely satellite IP). I wonder if american (and thus canadian) can get away with it as "going abroad" isn't in the national psyche like in europe?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
As an added note.

One of the lounge attendants did notice the children had spilled a bowl of soup on the desktop with the monitor-keyboard. I overheard her telling the children that it was dangerous to have liquids at the computer.

She then asked - "where are your parents" and that is when one of the children told her "shopping".

The attendant then went back to the various lounge ministrations. I don't think she was happy but then again what was she supposed to do?
Idiot parents if this is true. How irresponsible and selfish to assume the lounge staff would (passively) look after their children. This is the landside equivalent of parents who leave their young teens (13-17 typically) in Y while sitting in F themselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.