Reload this Page >

Live trip report, BRU-HNL-STT and back

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by gcuk
The highlight of AA domestic First IMHO, closely followed by the ice cream sundaes!
They are very good and I also like their old school silverware and the fact that salad dressing and sundae toppings come served out of pot with a spoon.

Re value of all this, as someone said, it's relative. And I do enjoy it all. Very excited about he 10 flights I am starting ex SFO this evening. And very excited in May about trying the 321 transcon in F for first time, doing 001 again, having 2 random nights in NY I hadn't planned on having but will enjoy seeing friends etc.

Yes, theoretically CCR for me doesn't give much "value" but again, as others said, it's the challenge, it's the value of some of the other stuff (jokers, extra cards, me earning 44k avios this week) and the enjoyment of it.

Value is all relative. I sometimes try to explain it to non FT friends comparing it to clothes: I see no point spending money on eg designer jeans when my Uniqlo trousers are great. But give me a TP run at or below Ł1 per TP and that's "value" I want to jump at. Whether I justify it through the savings I make each time I don't buy a Ł200 pair of jeans or not.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AndyFlyer
I have a notion by the end all the meals you'll be having on AA will blur into one!
Based on my half-dozen AA flights last week it's chicken in tomato sauce with broccoli, or tortellini with pesto-cheese sauce. Both come with some barley grain salad, and both will initiate your gag reflex!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Based on my half-dozen AA flights last week it's chicken in tomato sauce with broccoli, or tortellini with pesto-cheese sauce. Both come with some barley grain salad, and both will initiate your gag reflex!
My choices this week are Gorgonzola crusted beef (which was nice), horseradish crusted salmon or chicken stuff with spinach and cheese.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
Re: value....
For me, I was going to fail to hit 3000tp this year as there was a 6 Month hiatus on travel at work (that finished a week or two back), so spending somewhere between 500 and a 1000 quid more on a holiday than I otherwise would have done makes perfect sense to secure GGL.

Just landed in BOS and the trip started well with an OpUp to first. Hope the rest of the holiday is as pleasing as that.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

My remaining sectors to HNL and on to STT if anyone fancies meeting up:

15th APR LCY-JFK 9.45 BA001
15th APR JFK-LAX 16.00 BA4333
16th APR LAX-HNL 08.20 AA0031
WED 16APR HNL-LX 20.50 AA298
THU 17th APR LAX-MCO 07.50 AA244
THU 17th APR MCO-MIA 17.05 AA1678
THU 17th APR MIA-STT 19.05 AA2355
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:30 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Ah, I don't think I will be on any of your flights, and I don't even think we are ever in the same airport at true same time. Are you leaving STT and heading back to HNL on 18 April?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by chris1979
My choices this week are Gorgonzola crusted beef (which was nice), horseradish crusted salmon or chicken stuff with spinach and cheese.
I think these trips should be measured in ice cream sundaes consumed Best of luck to you buddy, I hope its not all gone wrong yet
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by chris1979
They are very good and I also like their old school silverware and the fact that salad dressing and sundae toppings come served out of pot with a spoon.

Re value of all this, as someone said, it's relative. And I do enjoy it all. Very excited about he 10 flights I am starting ex SFO this evening. And very excited in May about trying the 321 transcon in F for first time, doing 001 again, having 2 random nights in NY I hadn't planned on having but will enjoy seeing friends etc.

Yes, theoretically CCR for me doesn't give much "value" but again, as others said, it's the challenge, it's the value of some of the other stuff (jokers, extra cards, me earning 44k avios this week) and the enjoyment of it.

Value is all relative. I sometimes try to explain it to non FT friends comparing it to clothes: I see no point spending money on eg designer jeans when my Uniqlo trousers are great. But give me a TP run at or below Ł1 per TP and that's "value" I want to jump at. Whether I justify it through the savings I make each time I don't buy a Ł200 pair of jeans or not.
I have found jeans in N America for <30 USD...
(not to mention less than 10 USD in Asia with good quality materials that have lasted me longer than 2 years.)
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by ShadowCaptain
I think these trips should be measured in ice cream sundaes consumed Best of luck to you buddy, I hope its not all gone wrong yet
Thank you! Hope your trip is going well?

So far so good - but am only 1 flight into the "crazy part" right now (out of the 10 over next 48 hours). Just had very tasty beef in the LAX flagship lounge waiting for MIA flight. CUN tomorrow (and Wednesday) will be "stressful" parts.....
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I have found jeans in N America for <30 USD...
(not to mention less than 10 USD in Asia with good quality materials that have lasted me longer than 2 years.)
Excellent.

I am a fan of a certain Japanese brand at the moment.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:30 am

Landed LHR from BRU about 30 mins ago. Lovely spring day here with a wonderful morning light, T5 looked good on the way in. Landed 09L. LAX flight in just over 2 hours. Time for some breakfast and champagne in the GF.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:52 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
Landed LHR from BRU about 30 mins ago. Lovely spring day here with a wonderful morning light, T5 looked good on the way in. Landed 09L. LAX flight in just over 2 hours. Time for some breakfast and champagne in the GF.
See you in HNL in 23 hours! Safe travels.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:17 am

Thanks LondonAndy. Just boarded ad first time in 64K. I think this has just trumped 64A as my favourite seat. The last two side bins before the bulkhead are full depth to the floor rather than half height. I have more arms reach storage area than I could possibly use.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Ah, I don't think I will be on any of your flights, and I don't even think we are ever in the same airport at true same time. Are you leaving STT and heading back to HNL on 18 April?
Leaving STT on the 18th then I'm spending a week in Miami before I complete the return leg to HNL. Are you on the early morning STT-MIA on the 18th?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by wonderman
Leaving STT on the 18th then I'm spending a week in Miami before I complete the return leg to HNL. Are you on the early morning STT-MIA on the 18th?
No, heading back to HNL from SJU, but I thought if you were heading back to HNL on 18th as well our paths might cross that day. I am not stopping over anywhere on the way back to HNL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.