Search

Magic beep - my experience

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Magic beep - my experience

I was looking forward to 18F on last night's JNB-LHR (corrected, thanks littlefish!) operated by G-CIVU.

Due to unforeseen difficulties I had been unable to preselect and no seat was available at OLCI. At OR Tambo, the check in agent was about to give me a boarding card without a seat assignment but then 18F opened up so I took that.

At the gate the reader flashed red and beeped - I had been moved to 64K!

I got eight hours sleep on the flight too so a good effort all round.

Last edited by Sixth Freedom; Apr 13, 2014 at 5:31 am
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Nice one!

I've never had the magic beep yet.......soon, maybe!

How was the food?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:13 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
I trust you are talking about the BA54? given your recent posts being from South Africa.
18F is a nice seat, but on a fullish flight a strong chance 18E would be occupied. 64K is a fine seat for that long overnighter.

How was your trip? I am feeling left out as lots of friends and colleagues seem to be holidaying in South Africa at the moment, and I'm not going to get another chance until early 2015
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:18 am
mdr

Programs: BA, BMI
Thumbs down

The last magic beep I had at the gate check turned out not to be an upgrade but an invitation to an enhanced security check!
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
I got quite lucky with beeps on my recent flights. LHR-JFK, Y->W beep at the gate, and on my AA flight back, JFK-MAN, no beep but after boarding row 9 (first eco row in AA 757) the senior cabin attendant came to me and said they have spare seat, perhaps mr. dera would like to sit at 2A, we appreciate your business. A very welcome "beep" on that dreary overnight flight (which was not full so it was just a friendly upgrade I guess...)
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Well done! I have had a few "magic beeps" on short haul but still none on long haul I tend to fly either Y or J and it seems that more people report W upgrades, but there seem to be some of the other ones too but not for me... Oh well, not counting on it anyway so if it ever comes it will be a nice surprise.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by stu1985
How was the food?
I ate in the SLOW lounge beforehand, which was excellent. I only had some chocolate buttons onboard during Hunger Games 2.

Originally Posted by littlefish
How was your trip? I am feeling left out as lots of friends and colleagues seem to be holidaying in South Africa at the moment, and I'm not going to get another chance until early 2015
It was a work trip with a new Client. We both got along well and I was able to help them out with issues they were struggling with so it was a very satisfying trip.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:10 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom

It was a work trip with a new Client. We both got along well and I was able to help them out with issues they were struggling with so it was a very satisfying trip.
which is normally code for "went out each night and got hammered!"
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
There's more time for gloating if, instead of a magic beep at the gate, you're presenting your boarding pass to the lounge staff and they say "Just a minute, Sir, we've got a new boarding pass for you... in Club World"

Last time that happened the scheduled aircraft (to BKK) had gone tech and a mid-J had been replaced by a hi-J, causing many seat changes and in the resulting musical chairs I ended up on the upper deck in CW (booked into WT+). Result!
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: BA GGL
I was lucky enough to be upgraded both ways, from CW to F, last week on my trip to JNB, including my first trip on the 380. It made the journey feel more special and reminded me why I love BA. Service on both flights, but particularly the return, was excellent ^
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I had an interestin beep yesterday. I'd just AUP'd and my BP beeped and signalled red at the gate. I got the feeling I missed an opup - did I?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Never had it. Hear it all the time, usually to whoever is just in front of me.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by remymartin
I had an interestin beep yesterday. I'd just AUP'd and my BP beeped and signalled red at the gate. I got the feeling I missed an opup - did I?
No. Almostly certainly the beep was to alert the agent to read a note on his/her screen, which I hazard would say something like "AUP, note pax has changed seats". If the presented boarding pass matched the one shown in the system then the agent clears down the message, if not s/he presents you with a reprinted boarding pass.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:01 am

I got a bleep last week. Domestic so no upgrade. Apparently it was as I hadn't been issued a boarding card- so what was I presenting then having used it to get through heathrow security and entry already. Computer said no.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No. Almostly certainly the beep was to alert the agent to read a note on his/her screen, which I hazard would say something like "AUP, note pax has changed seats". If the presented boarding pass matched the one shown in the system then the agent clears down the message, if not s/he presents you with a reprinted boarding pass.
OK - onboard the CSM was extremely welcoming, which had me going. It seems BA still need to convince me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.