Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

O/T - Finnair to fly schedule to Phuket and Krabi

Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Possibly of great interest to some here: http://www.incentivetravel.co.uk/new...krabi-services

Business class direct in to Krabi/Phuket, avios/TPS and avoiding BKK... sounds fantastic.

I hope BA add a code share as this could further abstract from their BKK route. I wonder if anyone will ever get into Samui.

Smart move by Finnair, I imagine a lot of other Nordic folk will use this as they love that part of the world. They're well placed for a hub like this. Penang would be another interesting one.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Malaysia Airlines use to have one London-Penang direct flight which then flew on to KL. It was stopped as it was not profitable.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
When we have been in HKT I have seen regular FIN A330s but they have always been on charter flight numbers. I have tried to find out how to get on one but have been unsuccessful. If they becomes a schedule then we would certainly consider using it-depending on flight times.

MAS also tried Langkawi direct ex LHR for a couple of years. The return had to come via KUL due runway length.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Malaysia Airlines use to have one London-Penang direct flight which then flew on to KL. It was stopped as it was not profitable.
It was via Penang some days and Lagkawi on others. We took this & got a brilliant deal in F. Had to get off the plane in Langkawi which was a laugh as the 747 completely dominated what I recall as being a relatively small airport!

Problem was on the way back you had to go through KL.

These flights are gaining in popularity though - QR fly into Phuket now, so good luck to them!
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:07 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
I see the flights are scheduled to be the A340 tho - that's the one with the poor seats IIRC?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
I see the flights are scheduled to be the A340 tho - that's the one with the poor seats IIRC?
They are doing a refit but you could probably bet these psuedo charter routes would be the ones drawing the short straw...

http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/03...s-seat-routes/
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:48 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
That's great news about Krabi, one of my favourite places.

Their Wednesday flight leaves Krabi at 08:00 but Thursday flight at 11:35 which means you can (just) make it from Koh Lanta / Phi Phi in time.

Wouldn't want to use them for Phuket though, as it's one stop rather BA/PG or MH.

I have flown to HKT on QR - it routes via Kuala Lumpur which is a pain - especially the late departure means you are hanging around KL at 3 in the morning. You don't have to offboard, but it's hardly peaceful.

Rather Malaysia Airlines to be honest - majority of the flight on the A380 - and it's only a 1 hour hop to Phuket. Malaysia Airlines have also just started a 5 weekly flight KUL - KBV although not the greatest connections to the London flights.

And I remember the LGK/PEN flights on MH! They had 2 x weekly LHR-PEN-KUL-LHR and 2 x weekly LHR-LGK-KUL-LHR routes (on top of twice daily KUL flights they still have). These extra flights replaced their 4 weekly MAN-KUL flights from memory. They actually keep experimenting with extra UK capacity - couple of years back they secured slots and added 4 weekly LGW-KUL flights on 772's - but pulled them before they started flying them due to poor sales. Guess having the A380's is that extra boost in capacity now, although I wonder how the buggers are doing on any route at the moment. I do heart flying MH (mainly as I mainly fly longhaul in Y!).

Last edited by Sam Bee; Apr 4, 2014 at 3:57 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.