Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Does BA's treatment of its frequent flyers imply an abuse of market power?

Does BA's treatment of its frequent flyers imply an abuse of market power?

Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dutch_122
Booked Award ticket with LX to TYO in business one way and YQ was €235 plus the other taxes total was €286.

Other carriers like LH/LX/KL/AF do exactly the same as BA does.

That Some other carriers do the same as BA, however that does not mean that All other carriers do the same as BA
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BasilBush
And Globaliser, although I was indeed prompted to write this by today's events it is an issue I've mused over for a while, namely why the BA EC has a number of negative features that are not observed elsewhere (eg high YQ charges). I'm sure others will point to positive features of the EC, but I just wanted to fly a kite and see whether anyone else has thought along these lines.
For reasons which have already been given by others, I don't think that BAEC is anywhere within a million miles of any proper complaint about this.

However, BA's size in the UK market does sometimes lead to questions of market dominance and possible abuse in other respects. But you see healthy interest taken by the relevant authorities in the areas in which this matters. For example, take the conditions that were imposed for the approval of the AA/BA JBA, and the conditions for the takeover of BD.

So I don't think that, in the abstract, your question was entirely off the wall. However, BAEC and its various practices and quirks aren't something that will attract any interest at all. There are plenty of other FF schemes that you can use if you prefer, even within oneworld.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As I see it, airlines compete not only on price and FF programs, but also networks, schedules, fees, hard product, soft product, lounges, etc. In fact, legacy carrieres are becoming increasingly sophisticated about using these dimensions to select they type of customers that they believe to be most profitable. However, I suspect that the EU regulators don't have a mandate to take such a big picture approach to market power issues.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
As far as I'm concerned the big issue about these changes was the lack of notice. If they can change the fees without notice then surely they can also do the same with redemption rates. Imagine waking up and finding the RFS to AMS had increased to 20000 Avios or you had to pay for your domestic connections separately?

So for those who think the current changes fair, are you not worried that BA can change important aspects of the scheme without notice?

They've done a lot to build up goodwill with some genuine improvements to BAEC. Inspire some confidence and put a notice clause in the T&Cs so we know that future changes won't take us by surprise.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 3:55 am

Vote with your feet. One full price CW fare is worth about 100 times this charge.

Maybe if all GC members boycotted BA for one month?

Play Away May?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:14 am

And as if my point need to be proved:

http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/04...cel-fees-gold/
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by kitbag1984

I don't think it does in any way. From most domestic airports if not all that BA serve there is at least one other non BA service which connects to another major hub from where you can fly to the majority of destinations that BA serve.
If you don't like BA or its rewards programme there is still other choices to be had.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by kitbag1984

Sorry, what point does this prove? Doesn't it just set out the very issue that triggered this thread?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.