Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is to help BAEC members use US Airways for travelling, earning and redeeming Avios. Your comments are welcome.

One obvious resource for more information about US Airways is their main Flyertalk presence, which is to be found here:
US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Merger)

The US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/default.aspx

The US Airways UK website - this allows you to pay in GBP, therefore avoiding currency conversion fees. Note that if you are a BA Amex PP cardholder you can also book via BAEC by telephone to get more Avios, however there may be a service fee.
http://www.usairways.com/en-UK/default.html
Print Wikipost

US Airways - your BA Executive Club guide

Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by renwaldo
- Do you get double avios for BA silver if you fly on a BA flight number but operated by US Airways? Specific example, I'm going MAN-PHL-LAX and I have the option to fly on US735 then US755 flights or BA2335 then BA2290. Which makes more sense to book? The BA flight numbers are slightly cheaper through TravelTrolley than booking on the US airways flight

- What total tier points would I get for this, assuming the 'mistake' with the full fare TPs being awarded currently for US Airways flights.

- Which code should I book it under?
If the flight has a BA prefix on your itinerary then it earns Avios and Tier Points according to the BA rules, no matter who actually operates it.

If the flight has a partner prefix, it earns the Avios and Tier Points according to the rules of that partner, provided the flight is actually operated by a oneworld member or affiliate oneworld member. (If it is not so operated, you get Avios only or sometimes nothing at all.)

Given the price I surmise you are flying in economy class, in which case from a TP perspective you should pick the US codes for better tier points (by a factor of two) or the BA codes if you are short of Avios.

In economy, MAN-PHL gets 70 TP and PHL-LAX gets 70 TP, LAX-LHR gets 70 TP and LHR-MAN gets 20 TP. Those numbers are halved on non-US codes. If you login to your BAEC account you can find this yourself on the BA Tier Point Calculator.

If you value TPs more than Avios you should book under the US codes.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Ditto to the US TATL business flights showing as 70 but correctly crediting as 140.
Good to hear that (and other comments) as I seem to be likely to be booking a multi-sector including a US from DUB to CLT in Business. That Envoy setup is very appealing as a hard product, when compared with the BA sardine-can in Club World
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191
Good to hear that (and other comments) as I seem to be likely to be booking a multi-sector including a US from DUB to CLT in Business. That Envoy setup is very appealing as a hard product, when compared with the BA sardine-can in Club World
The soft product is not well-regarded, according to some reports, with c-w-s comparing it to WTP rather than CW.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas
The soft product is not well-regarded, according to some reports, with c-w-s comparing it to WTP rather than CW.
So long as we get a drink or two, edible food and time to read my Kindle I will survive.

As my first non-BA flight (possibly) for over 10 years, it will be interesting
Old Oct 25, 2014, 2:15 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
So long as we get a drink or two, edible food and time to read my Kindle I will survive.

As my first non-BA flight (possibly) for over 10 years, it will be interesting
Goodness, First to UVF, and now US to Charlotte. Surely a Gold glinching TP run to Hawaii cannot be far behind?

[I think DUB has better seats than the elderly 757 I had, which is very similar to US' First on domestic intercons. Going out is fine, day time flight, not sure I would recommend it on the overnight flight back however].
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Booked ... no escape!

BA JER-UK-DUB, then US DUB-CLT-SAV. All in Business for <drum roll> Ł1,387 per person

Cheaper than BA dragging us via DFW in W in the process, with no UuA option showing!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:45 am

Booked ... no escape!

BA JER-UK-DUB, then US DUB-CLT-SAV. All in Business for <drum roll> Ł1,387 per person

Cheaper than BA dragging us via DFW in W in the process, with no UuA option showing!
Good Catch with the fare! What aircraft is operated on DUB-CLT? I was on the 757s to AMS (Sadly in Y) and would have been disappointed if I had paid for C considering the seats weren't even angled lie-flat like AA but were more like BA's old cradle seats. Still better than WT+ though.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evanderm
Good Catch with the fare! What aircraft is operated on DUB-CLT? I was on the 757s to AMS (Sadly in Y) and would have been disappointed if I had paid for C considering the seats weren't even angled lie-flat like AA but were more like BA's old cradle seats. Still better than WT+ though.
DUB-CLT is A330, which I understand has the Envoy cabin. Seems OK to me .... http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave.../business.html
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Just booked my first US Airways flight. Had a quick look at seat reservations and it seems like the first row in First on the JFK - PHX and PHX - HNL is blocked out. Is there any way that a OW Sapphire can book it?

Looking forward to the trip already, albeit a lot of flying in a short period of time. 48,622 Avios and 1,340 BA Tier Points for Ł1,360.38 can't be bad ^
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Calchas
The 757 referred to in that report was pretty dreadful but the route is now operated by a different and much improved aircraft.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
Just booked my first US Airways flight. Had a quick look at seat reservations and it seems like the first row in First on the JFK - PHX and PHX - HNL is blocked out. Is there any way that a OW Sapphire can book it?
No there isn't, it is kept back until T-24hrs, unless the airline moves you to that row anyway beforehand. It is also the same time that upgrades often clear so those in row 1 often tend to be US Airways Emeralds, but if you get in quick you may get it for yourself. This an SOP that has been going on US Airways for years and years.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Does anyone know if it is possible to book WT+ with US Airways where they code share with BA? For example, I would like to travel from BRU to LAX on US 7422 and US 7128 which are operated by BA - but I'd want to book WT+ on the LHR - LAX sector. The reason behind this is that I have a $900 voucher to redeem and so would need to book with US rather than BA directly.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Geordie405
Does anyone know if it is possible to book WT+ with US Airways where they code share with BA? For example, I would like to travel from BRU to LAX on US 7422 and US 7128 which are operated by BA - but I'd want to book WT+ on the LHR - LAX sector. The reason behind this is that I have a $900 voucher to redeem and so would need to book with US rather than BA directly.
You may be able to book the prime BA codes in the T bucket over the telephone with US, just as I can book US flights over the phone with BA.

Whether you can use your voucher on the phone I don't know.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have re-read the BAEC Guide several times, and I'm sure I've got this right ...
AA724 (DUB-CLT) is actually operated by US, but is also called BA2325, so that should give the full BA allocation of (in Business) 140 TP and 7,440 Avios (as Silver) each way.

Innit?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have re-read the BAEC Guide several times, and I'm sure I've got this right ...
AA724 (DUB-CLT) is actually operated by US, but is also called BA2325, so that should give the full BA allocation of (in Business) 140 TP and 7,440 Avios (as Silver) each way.

Innit?
It depends. If you book the flight as BA2325, you get BA tier points and BA avios. This is true whoever operates the aircraft.

If you book the flight as AA724, you get AA tier points (the same as BA) and AA Avios (somewhat reduced).

If you book the flight as USxxx, you get US tier points (the same as BA in J, but twice as much in Y due to a bug), and US Avios (same as AA, less than BA).

Get it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.