Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is to help BAEC members use US Airways for travelling, earning and redeeming Avios. Your comments are welcome.

One obvious resource for more information about US Airways is their main Flyertalk presence, which is to be found here:
US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Merger)

The US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/default.aspx

The US Airways UK website - this allows you to pay in GBP, therefore avoiding currency conversion fees. Note that if you are a BA Amex PP cardholder you can also book via BAEC by telephone to get more Avios, however there may be a service fee.
http://www.usairways.com/en-UK/default.html
Print Wikipost

US Airways - your BA Executive Club guide

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:29 am

Programs: CX*G, AF*G; BA, UA
The US Airways chart on https://www.britishairways.com/en-ch...-avios/flights suggests that only full fare US Airways classes yield avios and TP. However, some of these classes are technically "discount" and not "full fare". How are Avios and TP earned on US Airways flights?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zinneken
The US Airways chart on https://www.britishairways.com/en-ch...-avios/flights suggests that only full fare US Airways classes yield avios and TP. However, some of these classes are technically "discount" and not "full fare". How are Avios and TP earned on US Airways flights?
They are earned in accordance with the table; i.e., BAEC does not at present recognize the existence of "discount" fare buckets on US; BAEC considers every bucket to be a full fare one. Each of B, E, G, H, K, L, M, N, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, Y earns full fare economy TP.

How long that discrepancy is to continue is any man's guess.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Calchas
They are earned in accordance with the table; i.e., BAEC does not at present recognize the existence of "discount" fare buckets on US; BAEC considers every bucket to be a full fare one. Each of B, E, G, H, K, L, M, N, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, Y earns full fare economy TP.

How long that discrepancy is to continue is any man's guess.
Given how long this has been going on my guess would be "until US ceases to exist".
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
Given how long this has been going on my guess would be "until US ceases to exist".
The bonus avios period is finished now I assume?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Calchas
The bonus avios period is finished now I assume?
has been for a few months now, I'm afraid.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
What happens with TPs if you book discount Y with US flight number but it's operated on AA metal? Do you get full US or reduced AA points?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeanB
What happens with TPs if you book discount Y with US flight number but it's operated on AA metal? Do you get full US or reduced AA points?
Tier points and avios accrue based on the marketing carrier (in this case, US), not the operating carrier. Hence, you earn "full" tier points.

The only exception is if the operating carrier is not in oneworld, in which case you get nothing. (This exception does not apply if the marketing carrier is BA.)
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold.
Originally Posted by Grand Union
This is the current chart.

Long haul = flights over 2000 miles. Charlotte and Phoenix are NOT 2000 miles apart, but Philadelphia and Phoenix are over 2000 miles apart.

Economy
Short haul - 20 TPs
Long haul - 70 TPs
Note that the lower level of tier points for inflexible/restricted fares does NOT currently appear on US Airways. So if the US fare is similar to AA, it would imply an advantage to fly US since you would earn more TPs in discounted Economy / Coach.

Business
Business on US is offered only on US to Europe flights and is 140 TPs. Currently the online calculator is incorrectly showing the TPs to be 70 TPs per leg from UK/Ireland to USA, but in reality full points are posted, see this confirmation.

First
First is offered to almost all US Airways destinations in the Americas, including to the Carribbean and Bermuda, whereas AA offers business class to these destinations.
Short haul - 60 TPs
Long haul - 210 TPs

Examples:
BOS-PHL - First: 60 TPs
BOS-PHL - Economy: 20 TPs
PHX-HNL - First 210 TPs
PHX-HNL - Economy: 70 TPs
Hi all.

Can anyone confirm that US Business Class fares from UK/Ireland to the US DEFINITELY attract 140 TP's as per AA/BA? The online calculator is still showing as 70 on ba.com. I'm about to book tickets and would prefer US over AA (A330 versus 767) but only if I get my full 140 tier points.

Has anyone flown US on one of these routes and can confirm?

Thanks,

DD
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by duckied
Has anyone flown US on one of these routes and can confirm?
Yes, I can confirm that I got the 140 TPs on a business class ticket from EDI to PHL.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold.
Many thanks C-W-S! :-)
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: Silver, JJC (circa 1980)
I've just booked a little trip for me and Mr Z over New Year, which will leave us an agonising 15 TPs short of requalification for Silver.

We will be flying into PHX and home from LAS. Although the original plan was to drive, I'm hoping that a one-way 'Choice' fare booked on aa.com, but operated by US will give us 20 TPs each. The BA calculator says yes, but only gives an option for full-fare economy...

Could anyone please confirm that for me before I push the button?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zafiragirl
I've just booked a little trip for me and Mr Z over New Year, which will leave us an agonising 15 TPs short of requalification for Silver.

We will be flying into PHX and home from LAS. Although the original plan was to drive, I'm hoping that a one-way 'Choice' fare booked on aa.com, but operated by US will give us 20 TPs each. The BA calculator says yes, but only gives an option for full-fare economy...

Could anyone please confirm that for me before I push the button?
US flight numbers continue to award 20 TP on deep discount Y bookings, so far as our limited pool of research into Y bookings reports.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
My cheap cheap Y hop CRW-DCA was 20 - good flight too!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:44 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Ditto to the US TATL business flights showing as 70 but correctly crediting as 140.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Got 2 options to book a flight for this friday to LAX and just wondering what would earn me the most tier points/avios. The actual flight is showing as Ł568 return out 1/11, back 4/11 on Traveltrolley via SkyScanner (never used these before) and it's on the US Airways flights out and the AA flights back (actual itinerary is MAN-PHL-LAX>LAX-LHR-MAN with the LAX-LHR leg on AA's 777-300

Questions:

- Do you get double avios for BA silver if you fly on a BA flight number but operated by US Airways? Specific example, I'm going MAN-PHL-LAX and I have the option to fly on US735 then US755 flights or BA2335 then BA2290. Which makes more sense to book? The BA flight numbers are slightly cheaper through TravelTrolley than booking on the US airways flight

- What total tier points would I get for this, assuming the 'mistake' with the full fare TPs being awarded currently for US Airways flights.

- Which code should I book it under?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.