Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is to help BAEC members use US Airways for travelling, earning and redeeming Avios. Your comments are welcome.

One obvious resource for more information about US Airways is their main Flyertalk presence, which is to be found here:
US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Merger)

The US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/default.aspx

The US Airways UK website - this allows you to pay in GBP, therefore avoiding currency conversion fees. Note that if you are a BA Amex PP cardholder you can also book via BAEC by telephone to get more Avios, however there may be a service fee.
http://www.usairways.com/en-UK/default.html
Print Wikipost

US Airways - your BA Executive Club guide

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by Chandler Bing
MAN when flying US to PHL in Y.
They felt sorry for you ...haha
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by rxfleming
Well, a rather mute response from BA from our complaint saying that if flying US Airways you cannot use the BA Lounge. No reason given as to why - just "you can't."
that is awful

so much for US/BA partnership

I thought the rules were pretty basic---if you fly a one world airline you have access to BA lounges

this will not go down well with many regulars intending to make use of US
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by evanderm
I expressly asked for a drinks voucher at CLT (flying domestic and to Canada) and was told that they are only available for International Business Class (Envoy) passengers. I didn't press further.

At least they will become Admirals Clubs soon enough. I expect the Admirals Club policy of giving them out will continue, and not be replaced by this apparently different policy.

That said, I wonder if we can figure out what the official policy is, given that some of us have been given chits and some of us have been refused?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
US is part of OW via AA. The OW policy is rather clear:

oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status
Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).

Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.
Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)
Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.

The following exceptions apply:

1.American Airlines, US Airways and Qantas offer programmes enabling customers to pay to gain access to their lounges. These programmes are not part of the oneworld agreement, and members of these programmes are not entitled to access lounges under the oneworld agreement.
2.American Airlines AAdvantage® members and US Airways Dividend Miles members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. For more information, visit, http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...miralsClub.jsp and http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...b/default.html
3.Qantas Frequent Flyer Gold members, regardless of their oneworld tier status, cannot access Qantas Domestic Business Lounges.
4.Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha and Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4 are excluded.
5.TAM First Class Lounge in Sao Paulo Guarulhos International Airport is excluded.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:57 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
that is awful

so much for US/BA partnership

I thought the rules were pretty basic---if you fly a one world airline you have access to BA lounges

this will not go down well with many regulars intending to make use of US
It certainly isn't going down well with me at the moment. I'm going to be flying out of GLA tomorrow so will be making an effort to speak with the Station Manager there. It has come to light that my OH was spoken to pretty abrasively at the Lounge as well during the debacle.

UPDATE:

Customer relations came back to me today to say that OH was right, and that lounge access should have been granted. They are going to contact station manager/airport today to raise concerns that staff need to be retrained and knowledgeable in allowing access to customers flying US Airways if they hold OW Sapphire or Emerald status.

Last edited by travelwithross; Jul 30, 2014 at 3:47 am
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pinkcat
They felt sorry for you ...haha
Maybe!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: BA silver
A quick question - I'll be flying through CLT on US soon but haven't received my baec silver card yet. What do you think the chances are of getting into the lounge with only the status shown on the BP?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
If you've got your number on it and it prints OW Sapphire you should be fine - sometimes I've had issues with them not realising my status but normally prompting them (I think they need to look on a different page on their screen) is sufficient, I've never had to pull out my physical BA Gold card
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have done a number of US airways flights in the last few weeks and while I started getting 20 TP and 70 respectively - last week I took four flights and got 10 and 35, I still go 60 for a sub 2000 mile F. Anyone have any ideas as to wen/why the TPs changed?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
With regards lounge/club access - I have had to show my card or the BA app. Just showing my boarding pass didn't really work. Lounge agents said it's because they don't have scanners and they feel I could have put anyone's ff number on the booking (!) - then it took a bit of explaining that gold wasn't the entry level (like it is on AA)
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:56 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I'm just having a bit of a panic after reading of miles going to a US account instead of BA.
Using the advice at the start of this thread, I booked return flights from MCO to MIA with US in October. The outbound flights was with AA and the inbound flight was actually with US (changed to AA now). I put BA down as my flyerclub account and added my BAEC number in the appropriate box when booking. Will my miles and TP's go directly yo my BAEC account. I think they will as I do not have an AA or US account but I need someone to confirm it for me as I am only doing this trip for the TP's to get to silver.

Katie
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Justonemore
I have done a number of US airways flights in the last few weeks and while I started getting 20 TP and 70 respectively - last week I took four flights and got 10 and 35, I still go 60 for a sub 2000 mile F. Anyone have any ideas as to wen/why the TPs changed?
Were the 10 and 35 TP flights booked with AA codes on US metal?

I got 20 TPs each for BNA-DCA and DCA-BOS flown 25 July.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by katie666
I'm just having a bit of a panic after reading of miles going to a US account instead of BA.
Using the advice at the start of this thread, I booked return flights from MCO to MIA with US in October. The outbound flights was with AA and the inbound flight was actually with US (changed to AA now). I put BA down as my flyerclub account and added my BAEC number in the appropriate box when booking. Will my miles and TP's go directly yo my BAEC account. I think they will as I do not have an AA or US account but I need someone to confirm it for me as I am only doing this trip for the TP's to get to silver.

Katie
You will be fine. Worst case scenario is you'll have to contact BAEC after the flights to get the Avios and TPs. Save your boarding passes just to be safe.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by katie666
I think they will as I do not have an AA or US account ...
If you don't have either an AA or a US account, then there's nowhere in those schemes for your miles and points to go. They won't automatically set up a new account for you, or give you any miles/points unless you ask for them - and the only request you've made is for them to go to your BA account.

That doesn't mean that you might not have to chase. But miles/points going to an account the passenger has with another airline can normally only happen if the passenger has given two or more frequent flyer scheme numbers.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yhm71
A quick question - I'll be flying through CLT on US soon but haven't received my baec silver card yet. What do you think the chances are of getting into the lounge with only the status shown on the BP?
As another poster mentioned, I've been asked for my card even though it said Gold/OW Emerald on the BP in PHL a few weeks back. I didn't have the card with me, but the Lounge Agent suggested showing my Account Details page on my BA app. It was no problem really...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.