Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

US Airways now joined OW, when can we redeem avios?

Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold

Anyone know if we can redeem avios on US Airways right away now that they have joined OW? Would this be available on the BAEC website or most likely we need to call to redeem?

I remember Qatar redemptions were available very quickly after they joined, also visible online on website...
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
The difference is Qatar is a full member where US is an Affiliate member of American Airlines. Not sure if that would make a difference or not.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Isn't it tomorrow when they join? You'll probably have to call initially.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by layz
Isn't it tomorrow when they join? You'll probably have to call initially.
In a timezone where they technically have joined
Old Mar 30, 2014, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stevieg999
In a timezone where they technically have joined
You'd like to think that, wouldn't you.

It'll happen based on when their systems roll over, not when other parts of the world do.

Also worth noting that a couple months ago there was some concern amongst OW execs that redemption might not be immediately available. I haven't heard any more on that since those conversations so I'm guessing the issues were resolved, but it was out there at one point.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by stevieg999
Anyone know if we can redeem avios on US Airways right away now that they have joined OW? Would this be available on the BAEC website or most likely we need to call to redeem?

I remember Qatar redemptions were available very quickly after they joined, also visible online on website...
Aren't there some AA codeshares operated by US that you can already book with Avios? (Different mechancism, I know.)
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
I have found availability for YYZ-DCA on US on the BA site. Haven't tried to book though.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: US Silver, IHG Platinum
Just saw the US Air flight I have been trying to book show up on BA.com tonight. Got all the way to the final step and it gave an error message. I called reservations and they said that their ticketing system is not ready yet and to try again tomorrow. At first, he didn't seem to believe that I could see US Air flights on ba.com, but after checking with someone else he said they've had a few calls about this. Kind of weird to have flights show on your website that aren't actually available yet.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Friend of mine just booked a US Airways flight but transatlantic flights are not showing online just yet. Asking him if he actually has a confirmed ticket but isn't responding to my texts :P
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
I have found availability for YYZ-DCA on US on the BA site. Haven't tried to book though.
I'm seeing US availability on multiple routes, but when I try to book, after the payment processing stage, I get an error with instructions to contact BA.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tigermark82
Just saw the US Air flight I have been trying to book show up on BA.com tonight. Got all the way to the final step and it gave an error message. I called reservations and they said that their ticketing system is not ready yet and to try again tomorrow. At first, he didn't seem to believe that I could see US Air flights on ba.com, but after checking with someone else he said they've had a few calls about this. Kind of weird to have flights show on your website that aren't actually available yet.
USAirways is based out of a place where it is still March 30th
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dukerau
I'm seeing US availability on multiple routes, but when I try to book, after the payment processing stage, I get an error with instructions to contact BA.
Ditto - just tried to book a couple shuttle flights for personal travel that I've been holding out on purchasing until now and it was fine until the very final stage where I got this message:

"Sorry, we have been unable to complete your transaction at this time.

Error

We're sorry, we are unable to process your request. Please contact your local British Airways office."
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
USAirways is based out of a place where it is still March 30th
It's March 31 in CLT, still not able to book with BA.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
An hour later and it is possible to use Avios on US Airways.

I can see plenty of US availability, e.g. between CLT and PHX (their 2 main hubs) in mid April under US prime numbers. 30,000 Avios and Ł1.50 charges each way.

I can also add my BAEC number to my US Airways bookings, and it accepts my number after a bit of thinking.

The one thing we don't seem to have yet is an earnings chart and US does not yet appear as a drop down on the Avios /TP check screen, but we can assume in Economy it 10 or 20 TPs for short distance flights, 60 TPs in First. For longer distances, over 2000 miles, it will be 35/70 TPs in economy, 210 in First (this is speculation, but I'd be surprised to be incorrect). Double Avios until the end of June, as a promotion, but I'm not sure we get the bonus Avios we get from AA.

I will research the setting up of a "how to" guide for US Airways.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Mar 30, 2014 at 11:26 pm Reason: Avios not TPs bonus
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold
What are the bonus TP's from AA?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.