Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority lane queuing etiquette...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Priority lane queuing etiquette...

I figure the excessive pedantry of this forum should elicit the 'correct' response, so I figured I'd ask here (tongue in cheek, don't worry).

As I am sure we have all noticed, there are always folks who start to line up prior to boarding time at the gate. On a recent trip from EDI->LHR, the queue stretched maybe 15 meters from the end of the priority boarding lane down perpendicular (to the lane) down towards the shops.

This causes other pax to think boarding is imminent so they start to queue either at the normal boarding lane, or just in a some sort of mob around the entrance to all the lanes. I watched the growing herd with bemusement.. and as I noticed the airport worker come out the ramp door and speak to the gate attendant, and the gate attendants get into position, I stood up. And when they announced priority boarding, I just went to the entrance of the priority boarding line, thereby cutting off about 20 people who had formed the aforementioned line - and also joining many of the small mob who had formed around the entrance to the lanes and were also cutting off many of the queuing folks.

I realize this is somewhat impolite, but queuing to get in a queue seems a bit silly, and the gate agents are always telling these folks not to queue, especially since they often crowd passengers still trying to get off the plane, or folks in wheelchairs and/or with small children... so I don't feel bad at all about actually following the stated rules and going to the lane when it opens.

Not to mention many gate agents don't bother enforcing who is boarding, and do not turn away those who feign ignorance that they aren't actually entitled to board.

So, long story short.. any other line jumpers here? Any early queue'rs? Any "I'll pretend I didn't know I was not eligible for early boarding" folks? What is the accepted etiquette of all this?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Personally that would irk me somewhat but I don't see any value in getting too upset about queue jumpers. If people are so desperate to get in front of others then let them. It says a lot about that persons approach to life and other people to be honest.

I admit to choosing a seat near the start of the boarding lanes so that I can get in the queue quickly but this is purely because I don't want to have to mess around finding somewhere to put my normal sized carry on after those with huge bags have taken up all of the space. That annoys me more than queue jumpers.

My favourite set up is at JFK. At one of the gates (four I think) the priority boarding lane is accessed through a small gate to the side of the other queues. Anyone coming from the lounge just enters through the gate and literally skips the long non-priority queues that have formed in the actual gate area. Doing that feels like how priority boarding should be.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I like the Lufthansa C gate lounges at FRA concept where you priority board from the lounge to each gate. The lounges mightn't be the greatest but I'll take them over the scrum that is walking from the overcrowded T5 lounges to the gate and priority boarding on BA.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I realize the FRA C concept isn't really practical at LHR but it is a good idea because you don't have to fight through all the people standing around the gate if you want to priority board.

Last edited by Crampedin13A; Mar 22, 2014 at 11:21 pm
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HH Diamond.
I find air travel really fascinating in being able to watch all different types of human behaviour. The behaviour of queues and the mob that form around the gate intrigues me and sometimes i just sit there agog. I have a David Attenborough type of commentary going on in my head.

I also wait until the boarding is announced and then just waltz thru to something resembling the fast track/priority lane.

South West in the US, IMO have a great system where everybody has a letter (normally A-D) and a number (1- ??), they then wait under the said letter/number and board accordingly in ABCD sequence. No congestion, no circumnavigating bags or trolleys, nobody trying to gain an extra yard - all very personable.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aldaniti
I find air travel really fascinating in being able to watch all different types of human behaviour. The behaviour of queues and the mob that form around the gate intrigues me and sometimes i just sit there agog. I have a David Attenborough type of commentary going on in my head.

I also wait until the boarding is announced and then just waltz thru to something resembling the fast track/priority lane.

South West in the US, IMO have a great system where everybody has a letter (normally A-D) and a number (1- ??), they then wait under the said letter/number and board accordingly in ABCD sequence. No congestion, no circumnavigating bags or trolleys, nobody trying to gain an extra yard - all very personable.
It fascinates me too. Great to watch unless I am trying to board early in which case I tend to be in the middle of the scrum!

Sounds like SW have an interesting system. How are the letters and numbers called by the gate agents? Is it a case of calling "anyone with letter A and numbers between 1 and 10 can board now" type of approach?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: BAEC
Deleted

Last edited by Nimrod1965; Dec 29, 2016 at 3:16 am
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by billinghamn
It fascinates me too. Great to watch unless I am trying to board early in which case I tend to be in the middle of the scrum!

Sounds like SW have an interesting system. How are the letters and numbers called by the gate agents? Is it a case of calling "anyone with letter A and numbers between 1 and 10 can board now" type of approach?
you aren't called on SW, you line up in numerical order, aided by large pillars which mark out space for 1-29,30-59 etc. you then board in an extended conga line system starting with no1. It's a good system on an airline I've always enjoyed flying.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
you aren't called on SW, you line up in numerical order, aided by large pillars which mark out space for 1-29,30-59 etc. you then board in an extended conga line system starting with no1. It's a good system on an airline I've always enjoyed flying.
I hope they have the conga music playing whilst boarding! Get everyone in the right mood...
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:47 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by billinghamn

I'm sure judging by some of the posts and comments on other threads then the South West method would be demeaning for some.

But, basically, they have a stand with a left and right, which starts off as A&B, and then number 1- ??, if you have either A or B 1-?? you go and stand underneath the relevant number - then A boards in 1-?? sequence, then B. As B boards the line that was A becomes C, and passengers with C numbers stand in line under relevant letter/number. As C boards, line B becomes D and so on.
Everybody knows their place and sequence and it makes for a calming more unselfish experience.
But then SW don't have seat numbers - but again this is rarely a problem, unless you are a D and end up have to take a middle seat in between 2 'American size Americans' but thats another story.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, Flying Blue Gold
I have to admit I don't like standing in a queue and I keep telling myself that with a Gold card I should not but often the priority lanes are also congested by people who like queueing up so when the desk opens priority boarding they would not move but so can nobody else because the way is blocked. Hence as soon as the boarding starts I will go towards the priority queue and will try to get in front also by jumping if necessary. I guess reasons are that I am a bit impatient plus sometimes people are showing up that have so much lugguage with them that they need all the overhead locker space so I just want to be in the plane before that happens. Besides my laptop bag I never take any hand lugguage with me, I figurered that most airports have the bags ready at the belt when I am off the plane.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Philipp1604
I have to admit I don't like standing in a queue and I keep telling myself that with a Gold card I should not but often the priority lanes are also congested by people who like queueing up so when the desk opens priority boarding they would not move but so can nobody else because the way is blocked. Hence as soon as the boarding starts I will go towards the priority queue and will try to get in front also by jumping if necessary. I guess reasons are that I am a bit impatient plus sometimes people are showing up that have so much lugguage with them that they need all the overhead locker space so I just want to be in the plane before that happens. Besides my laptop bag I never take any hand lugguage with me, I figurered that most airports have the bags ready at the belt when I am off the plane.
The problem is that the priority lanes are a token gesture where all types of priority from Premiers and F passengers to OWR are dealt with as a homogenous mass so about half an aircraft crowds through a single priority lane. It is nuts.

I tend to get to the gate early when I have a full sized wheelie bag in order to stow it but I hate the BA boarding process even in F. It is the worst of any full service carrier I have ever flown.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:07 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 2:11 am

When I see people jumping a queue in the way that the OP describes, I do tend to view them with contempt as self important twits. I suppose people are free to behave like that, but, but I don't think much of them. It strikes me as DYKWIA behaviour.

Programs: BD Gold BA Gold HiltonHonors Diamond AA Gold Virgin Silver
I flew from LHR to EDI on Friday afternoon. Virtually all of the passengers were in the fast track lane for boarding. I mentioned this to the gate attendant and she said that it was becoming the norm. She said that on the previous flight, only 2 boarding passengers were non fast track.

Kind of defeats the purpose?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.