Wiki Posts
Search

Dub good place to start

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Dub good place to start

I'm sure this is well know to most people on here, but has Dublin always been a good place to find relatively good value ex-eu BA/AA fares? I always checked AMS as a good place but I'm finding all sorts of goodies from DUB.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:25 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Not sure, I have an ex DUB booked in September, not sure if its always been good or not, there certainly seems to be some decent fares about though.

Mine actually starts in DUB and ends (officially) at LHR, it was still 500+ cheaper than the fare from LHR (well 400 when you include the late night outbound to DUB and hotel costs)
Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: EY Gold, BA Gold, EK Gold, CX Gold
Yeah I've booked 2 flights this year from DUB:
1) To SFO the upgrade price given during the booking process to upgrade from WT+ to CW in one direction and F in the other was €591. Bargain!
2) I booked flights to Edmonton from DUB for €1.7k in J whereas the same flights from LHR with BA were over £2.6k and AA for over £5k.
Adding in the £200 for CE for a return from LHR to DUB to get to DUB I also get an additional 160 tier points for each journey.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
And don't forget if you fly straight across the pond, you pre-clear US formalities in Dublin ^.

Must admit we bagged a veritable bargain for an ex-DUB, coming back to LHR fare this Easter. Just a shade over £1k each to Florida with a 23hr stop in NYC on the way home.

Won't dare say which airline as I'll definitely be black balled from the BA forum...
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Agreed - seems to be the place to start a trip just now. Seems to be the cheapest place. I've got two trips planned from DUB this year as well.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
And will be even more attractive later this year when DUB flights move to T5. I did an ex-DUB last November to HNL, worked out well (was there for rugby anyway)
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: BA GGL
I've flown DUB-LHR-US before, but never DUB direct to the US. I assume that would be an AA operated flight on a 757?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
I've flown DUB-LHR-US before, but never DUB direct to the US. I assume that would be an AA operated flight on a 757?
That's right - one of your favourite aircraft I seem to remember!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Remember that US Airways joins the party this year, too.

Although I admit I don't know what they fly out of Dublin....
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Remember that US Airways joins the party this year, too.

Although I admit I don't know what they fly out of Dublin....
Currently a 762 but switching to a 332 on March 30.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
In past years DUB seemed to be even more expensive than DUB prices to the extent that I have previously paid for separate tickets connecting in LON. Occasionally on *A it was possible to get cheap fares by flying out of DUB and into BHD, losing both the APD and it seemed to drop the YQ as well.

Since BA took over from BD, and AA have ramped up operations out of DUB (and with the soon addition of US to the fold), DUB has turned into the promised (ex-EU) land! Easily done from London but even easier from Belfast with an £8 bus ticket and 1h 45 courtesy of Aircoach.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:43 pm

There's a sale fare on at the moment out of DUB, which makes very attractive fares.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:49 pm

Also some excellent QF/EK codeshares going East from DUB, £4k in F to Australia.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:01 pm

Dub be good to me.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by easterisland
Also some excellent QF/EK codeshares going East from DUB, £4k in F to Australia.
Forgot about the QF-EK tie up. If only the leg into DUB on EK metal was eligible for tier points and avios!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.