Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2014 thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by kileysmom
What will he do when his daddy is no longer ......, the footballer? Very shortsighted of his parents to allow him to use this very temporary status as his way to make his way through life. One bad step that destroys a knee and poof! All over!

I know very little about footballers these days so I wonder what the little dear would have done when I said "Who?"
I have the same problem with the "Celebrities" mentioned on the appropriate thread here on BAFT. Despite regarding myself as reasonably well versed in Current Affairs (not of the Daily Mail persuasion), I almost invariably find myself thinking "WHO?"

'Celebrity' is clearly in the eye of the individual, and those who pander to the concept.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by WeAreFlyingHigh
Motion: This house calls on BA to stop the 'fast-track boarding'. It is not faster, it does not prioritise anyone, it is rarely enforced and sometimes I'm on flights where the majority of passengers queue up for fast-track.

Boarding First Class passengers first, followed by Club passengers and Golds. Everyone else can be last

For those of you who read my remarks about young children misbehaving a few weeks ago you will know I am quick to snap. I snapped again today...

I was in a lounge when a young boy came up to me while we were waiting to get some juice. He tried to push in front causing me to lecture him about good manners. His response was "Do you know who I am? My daddy is (insert name of famous-ish footballer)" This enraged me even more giving me no other choice than to follow him back to his parents and complain to them about their delinquent son. Once on board the flight the child's behaviour continued with the crew sing the "I'm _____'s son" to treat them as his slaves. To think he wondered why the service wasn't too good for him...

Was his father there? Can't imagine a footballer travelling anywhere with domestic football back this weekend. Or has said footballer just been slapped with a 3 game ban for saying naughty things on social media?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata, Turkish Elite... oh yeah, and of course: Starbucks Gold :P
I've had a change of heart. When you've been loyal to an airlines for years, put up with their 'enhancements', are paying ridiculous money for a seat, making do with terrible food, and trying to communicate with certain staff members we have every right to suddenly become DYKWIA.

We should stop putting up with the BS about priority boarding, we should stop stomaching food which most people wouldn't serve their pets, we should stop being polite to staff members who can't be bothered to help out/do their job, we should be more arrogant.
Holy sh.... Somebody has to come back down to earth. I would take it as a joke... But having read your other postings, i fear it is not
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by flolee
Holy sh.... Somebody has to come back down to earth. I would take it as a joke... But having read your other postings, i fear it is not
Something's are true, food is not great, staff more times than not are not motivated. Maybe something's are far fetched but that doesn't excuse BA from those failings that many on this site have experienced time and time again,Maybe its delusional to think BA with all its cost cutting will be able to provide what meets the individuals expectations regularly.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Being in a contented frame of mind ... BA flies me safely wherever I wish to go on there network. The seats are fairly comfortable in CW. The food sustains me on my journey, without actually exciting me! The CC perform their takes adequately. And the prices, if one cares to apply a little time and effort and intelligence to the process, can be remarkably cheap.

WAFH has certain issues, clearly. They could be debated for months to come. ICBA.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Platinum and BAEC blue again :'(
Originally Posted by flolee
I'm very serious. Obviously this doesn't mean we should all start treating employees and fellow members of the public like pieces of dirt on our shoe but neither should we be overly apologist accepting whatever is given to us.

Originally Posted by T8191
Being in a contented frame of mind ... BA flies me safely wherever I wish to go on there network. The seats are fairly comfortable in CW. The food sustains me on my journey, without actually exciting me! The CC perform their takes adequately. And the prices, if one cares to apply a little time and effort and intelligence to the process, can be remarkably cheap.

WAFH has certain issues, clearly. They could be debated for months to come. ICBA.
This is the attitude I'm referring to. Please don't take it the wrong way but you just accept it. As long as you get from A to B safely you seem to be happy to accept it all. Whereas I want what's advertised. Just read the BA website; they promise the kitchen sink but give the minimum. They're still better than competition on the routes I mainly fly with them but I still want more.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by T8191

I'm very serious. Obviously this doesn't mean we should all start treating employees and fellow members of the public like pieces of dirt on our shoe but neither should we be overly apologist accepting whatever is given to us.

This is the attitude I'm referring to. Please don't take it the wrong way but you just accept it. As long as you get from A to B safely you seem to be happy to accept it all. Whereas I want what's advertised. Just read the BA website; they promise the kitchen sink but give the minimum. They're still better than competition on the routes I mainly fly with them but I still want more.
And not everyone is flying TATL for 21/2d on the OAP special!

It's a long time since I could get a good deal, or use miles for redemption / upgrade on BA, even though I am pretty flexible and know the ropes.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

We should stop putting up with the BS about priority boarding, we should stop stomaching food which most people wouldn't serve their pets, we should stop being polite to staff members who can't be bothered to help out/do their job, we should be more arrogant.
You first.

Oh wait, you already have.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by HilFly
And not everyone is flying TATL for 21/2d on the OAP special!

It's a long time since I could get a good deal, or use miles for redemption / upgrade on BA, even though I am pretty flexible and know the ropes.
Quite. club World may be fine if you're paying £1000 for a Jer-IAd ticket. For those that pay £4000 for LHR to IAD the value is slightly different.

I'd like to see more upgrade availability for those on flex tickets personally. Allow upgrades to W tickets if there's I availability.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I've had a change of heart. When you've been loyal to an airlines for years, put up with their 'enhancements', are paying ridiculous money for a seat, making do with terrible food, and trying to communicate with certain staff members we have every right to suddenly become DYKWIA.

He he he, this made me giggle.

However, going back to being serious, it depends on what you consider "ridiculous money". £5,000 for LHR-JFK-LHR in CW probably is, but when do we all pay that? Not very often. I think the fares have come down in real terms though.

Besides, it's an aeroplane food, not a Michelin starred restaurant. I don't expect much. Maybe except when I am on LX F (I do like their food), CX F or JL F etc.

No-one has to fly BA or any other airline. If I get to the point where I want to throw a DYKWIA because I'm not happy with the seat or service, I'd fly on another airline.

What's the point in buying something I don't like?! I don't buy clothes that I don't like just because it's cheap, or because it's the nearest thing to me. I see no reason to do that with an airline either. Either I find something as acceptable for the price or not. If not, I'd buy something from somewhere else.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
No-one has to fly BA or any other airline. If I get to the point where I want to throw a DYKWIA because I'm not happy with the seat or service, I'd fly on another airline.

What's the point in buying something I don't like?! I don't buy clothes that I don't like just because it's cheap, or because it's the nearest thing to me. I see no reason to do that with an airline either. Either I find something as acceptable for the price or not. If not, I'd buy something from somewhere else.
Yes it's extraordinary how many people are still willing to pay for something they clearly dislike.
I wish I had lots of something awful to sell.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes it's extraordinary how many people are still willing to pay for something they clearly dislike.
Is that not called Ebay??
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I guess that the competition where available is worse. Heathrow doesn't really allow fair competition due to the constraints
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Platinum and BAEC blue again :'(
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
He he he, this made me giggle.

However, going back to being serious, it depends on what you consider "ridiculous money". £5,000 for LHR-JFK-LHR in CW probably is, but when do we all pay that? Not very often. I think the fares have come down in real terms though.

Besides, it's an aeroplane food, not a Michelin starred restaurant. I don't expect much. Maybe except when I am on LX F (I do like their food), CX F or JL F etc.

I know it's relative but I feel we are paying more money in non-real terms for a lesser product. BA's enhancements mean we get less for more. This is where I feel it's a ridiculous price.

Quite right but BA is near the bottom of the pack when it comes to food. Surely they can manage a strong middle/upper? They did a decade ago especially in lounges.

I like it but I feel I don't receive what I buy. It has fantastic online marketing but never meets expectations. I continue to fly BA, as I have always said, they're the best available on the routes I fly which probably says more about other airlines than it does BA.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:28 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

Quite right but BA is near the bottom of the pack when it comes to food. Surely they can manage a strong middle/upper? They did a decade ago especially in lounges.
IMO, they did not 10 years ago. However, there may be an element of 'rose-tinting' of the past years in some of the comments I read here, but I honestly think it wasn't particularly great 10 years ago compared to now. Or perhaps, lounges of other airlines were poorer and it was comparatively good. For instance, 10 years ago the QF SYD (and MEL) F lounges that people here liked were really boring and rather ordinary.

Funnily enough though, BA's long haul Y food is better than a very large number of airlines. 15-20 years ago, BA's Y food was some of the worst though. Pity the same can't be said about CW/F food (CE is actually one of the better ones compared to others) but airlines is not all about CW or F and I suspect the most profitable customers are those that are not like most of us that try to fly premium classes on the cheap but the fully flex WT and WT+ customers (again in terms of the real estate, their profit margin must be fantastic).

I like it but I feel I don't receive what I buy.
I suppose it depends. If you pay £5k for LHR-JFK-LHR, probably not. However, if you pay £2k for LHR-JFK-LHR, in terms of the on-board real estate (the floor area used by the seat, i.e. the seat and the space assigned to it) and the physical cost of the seat, compared to Y, the fare difference between Y and CW may only cover those differences.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 1, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.