Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2014 thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Some might feel that a 19 year old should respect an older mid aged person.
Why? Respect should be earned not expected and age is no guarantee of manners as this Italian chap proved.

As for myself the only marginal DYKWIA incident I have seen was a chap with his wife and three kids berating the manager of the international lounge @ T1 because she wouldn't let everyone in (I guess they were in Y). In fact lounge access seems to generally bring out the worst in people who seem to get upset when they can't talk their way in. I saw someone having a go at the staff once because they wouldn't be let into GC @ T5 with their priority pass!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
My own thread

Ahh so you admit to being all of these horrible customers then

Loving the reactions from CC, well done guys and girls

As for the Jets tag... DYKWIA? yeah sure do - you're a loser
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
DYKWIA - The 2014 thread

Loving this thread. Id love to be in a situation like these
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP

I live in a country where 19 year olds are told by the bus conductor to stand up for the mid aged and everyone glares at them when they are a bit slow so to do.
Since I was doing nothing but standing in business check in line waiting for check in which I could use because I was flying CE and I'm silver, I can't see how a person, even older, that came after me in the line and told me I couldn't use it probably based on his own opionion that I'm statusless and flying ET because of my age, respected me.
A queue is not a bus where the young are supposed to give their seat to elderly people, which I always pleasantly do, if you think you can pass ahead of me only because you're older than me I hope we'll never be on the same plane.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, IHG Plat, HH Gold.
In the checkin queue at Dulles two years ago with a couple of hundred in the WT lines, half a dozen in CW and 3 of us in the F line. The WT desks opened first and started calling pax forward and this caused a 30 odd year old American who appeared to be travelling with his parents in the CW line to go bananas, bawling at the staff "BUSINESS CLASS HERE!!".

As our desks were just setting up the lady nodded to us to come forward only to be overtaken by Mr "BUSINESS CLASS HERE". He and his rather embarrassed looking parents were sent back and told "this is First Class, Club World will open shortly."

If I'd behaved like that in front of my old man he's have clouted me round the ear!

JAT
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Indeed, though from personal experiences the sense of entitlement still peaks with Silver card holders. The GGL's and Prems I have flown with have generally been extremely chilled or fast asleep.
Chilled on a BA plane? I thought common consent was the cabin's about 5C too warm
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
As one who is immanently due to fall from grace into the land of bronze due to lack of flying, I can assure you that I will not be trying to call out anybody but will leave that to the staff overseeing the queues. The people mentioned do not behave the way they do because they hold a bronze card, it is because they are the type of people who cannot mind their own business.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: BA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, KLM Gold, AB Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond, Qantas Svr, Etihad Svr

I live in a country where 19 year olds are told by the bus conductor to stand up for the mid aged and everyone glares at them when they are a bit slow so to do.
Not too sure why a person would show respect to somebody simply because they have managed to live 20 years more than themselves, but always fun to see the strange beliefs that exist worldwide.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by SpurMan
Not really a DYKWIA based on status, but coming back from LAS in F, I was amused by the wife of a famous actor. I followed him, his mrs and his son down the front jetway to the F cabin, casually remarking that I was glad he saw the turn to F. He nodded his acknowledment of my thanks, where she looked at me like I should be in the hold.

We got into the cabin, and she proceeded to sit their son in my dad's seat (my folks missed the jetway and had gone to the second one for the other pax. When my folks got there and viewed the scene, two words came from my dad: 'oi, out!' at which point she said the immortal words 'Do you know who I am?', to which the reply was 'I don't care if you are the Queen of ******* Sheba, he's moving out of my seat!' Kid moved, all was well for two minutes when she tried to cram him in in her seat with her, which the FAs sorted out superbly.

Said Actor was a joy to fly with (was asleep for the vast majority of the flight), and very nice to the other pax on arrival, as was his son. Good little lad actually, very well behaved when not sitting in the wrong seat at the orders of his mother. Though I don't know how this man puts up with his missus!
Sorry but I think your father was rather rude. Wouldn't "Excuse me, I think you are sitting in my seat" have been more appropriate? Nor would I have been happy hearing language that needed bleeping out on FT.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
To be fair to some of the passengers being ridiculed in this thread, it is often very difficult to work out which people are actually in the fast track queue and which are just generally milling around waiting. I could well have queue jumped some people at time because I didn't realize they were part of the fast track queue.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
So it appears that the pattern for posts on this thread is:

- mention DYKWIA situation. Proceed to say how that person is horrible, arrogant, etc.
- preferably, specify some sort of direct comment from DYKWIA towards poster
- mention how poster didn't react or otherwise say anything
- show how much more important poster is, by mentioning that a member of crew or staff pointed out how important poster is. Poster is so DYKWIA that he doesn't even have to be a DYKWIA - staff member will do that on poster's behalf
- rejoice on DYKWIA reaction.

Some people should get a life.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
This is such a demonstrative DYKWIA v. passive aggressive DYKWIA thread!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mario
So it appears that the pattern for posts on this thread is:

- mention DYKWIA situation. Proceed to say how that person is horrible, arrogant, etc.
- preferably, specify some sort of direct comment from DYKWIA towards poster
- mention how poster didn't react or otherwise say anything
- show how much more important poster is, by mentioning that a member of crew or staff pointed out how important poster is. Poster is so DYKWIA that he doesn't even have to be a DYKWIA - staff member will do that on poster's behalf
- rejoice on DYKWIA reaction.

Some people should get a life.
Touchy eh? They are harmless traveller tales, lighthearted banter. Not sure the contributors here are the ones who need to get a life - or have we touched a nerve?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Touchy eh? They are harmless traveller tales, lighthearted banter. Not sure the contributors here are the ones who need to get a life - or have we touched a nerve?
not just harmless traveller tales... Delicious examples that portray the great ironies and paradoxes in life
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:03 am
pb3

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen
Originally Posted by HilFly
Sorry but I think your father was rather rude. Wouldn't "Excuse me, I think you are sitting in my seat" have been more appropriate? Nor would I have been happy hearing language that needed bleeping out on FT.
The moral of the story - Those immortal and powerful words "Do you know who I am?" tends to evoke an adverse reaction in people - plebs or aristocracy alike. Use with caution

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.