Your guide to spending Avios | 2014

Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: BA
I tried to make a ba.com Avios booking on TAM from MIA-CNF today (multiple times). I enter my credit card details and then I get an error message "Sorry, we have been unable to complete your transaction at this time."

Does anyone know if you have to call in to book TAM flights? I tried calling in, they said they would waive the service fee, but that cancellations or changes would cost $55 + $25 service fee. Are you unable to change or cancel bookings made over the phone on ba.com? I would rather have that option available since I would only be forfeiting $5.60 in taxes instead of an $80 change/cancel fee.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: AC E50K, BA Silver
Could someone please help a noob out in spending Avios points? My situation is:
- 200K+ Avios points
- 200K+ Aeroplan points
- 50K+ Amex points that I can convert 1-to-1 to either Avios or Aeroplan
- Currently living in Toronto, Canada; moving to London, UK for 2 years in a month
- Personal flying will be within Europe (say 6 times a month), between London and Toronto (once a quarter), and maybe a longer-haul trip to Australia/Asia once or twice

I've never used Avios before; I have used Aeroplan. I thought Aeroplan was a ripoff, but I am not able to get any decent return on my Avios at all when I look up flights online.

What are the tricks? Is it only good for certain types of flights (i.e. short haul, or long haul, or in between)? Certain times of the year? Booking in advance or last minute? Everytime I search, the taxes/fees are so high that it just makes it not worth it.

Thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:38 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by f00kie
What are the tricks? Is it only good for certain types of flights (i.e. short haul, or long haul, or in between)? Certain times of the year? Booking in advance or last minute? Everytime I search, the taxes/fees are so high that it just makes it not worth it.
Some of the better uses for avios are:
  • RFS flights within Europe - from 9,000 avios and Ł35 for a return flight
  • Shorthaul direct flights on partners - AA LAX-SFO for 4,500 avios and $3
  • Upgrading WTP (premium economy) to business class - for example 10,000 avios plus a cash component to upgrade a LHR-JFK flight
  • Longhaul CW/F redemption with a 241 voucher - 120,000 avios plus ~Ł800 for two LHR-HKG return in CW
  • Certain partners have very low cash components also

Generally poor uses for avios:
  • Economy longhaul redemptions
  • Routes requiring connections, as BA charges per segment rather than zonal

I would suggest you read through the following threads, as well as the guide on the first page.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...tart-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...urcharges.html
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: BA
edit: deleted

Last edited by wiivile; Dec 12, 2014 at 11:22 am Reason: nm
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wiivile
I tried to make a ba.com Avios booking on TAM from MIA-CNF today (multiple times). I enter my credit card details and then I get an error message "Sorry, we have been unable to complete your transaction at this time."

Does anyone know if you have to call in to book TAM flights? I tried calling in, they said they would waive the service fee, but that cancellations or changes would cost $55 + $25 service fee. Are you unable to change or cancel bookings made over the phone on ba.com? I would rather have that option available since I would only be forfeiting $5.60 in taxes instead of an $80 change/cancel fee.
Hello, not sure about the service fee but when cancelling an award whose cash component is less than the cancellation fee, you only lose the fee.

So, unless I am wrong, you'd just be forfeiting $5.60.

I cannot find evidence of this in the Ts&Cs but this is my experience in cancelling AA flights recently.

The IT link between TAM and BA is a bit rubbish. I'd book by phone if I were you.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: AA - EP, Marriott - PP
Hello all, new to Avios but ready to book my first award flight on USAir metal through AA. I have everything planned, checked award space on AA.com, and ready to transfer some MR to Avios. Only question is if there is a way to put my AA or USAir frequent flyer number on the BA itinerary? I tried searching a few different ways but I couldn't find anything.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: AA - EP, Marriott - PP
Originally Posted by robbierob03
Hello all, new to Avios but ready to book my first award flight on USAir metal through AA. I have everything planned, checked award space on AA.com, and ready to transfer some MR to Avios. Only question is if there is a way to put my AA or USAir frequent flyer number on the BA itinerary? I tried searching a few different ways but I couldn't find anything.
Nevermind - found the answer in the AA forums.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:44 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robbierob03
Yes, once booked either call BA, via Finnair/QF/QR website, or at the airport.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Well pulled the trigger today for 4 tickets to PHX. Outbound in J but have snagged Old F seats. Nothing apart from Y on the return was available to will have to watch if it opens.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QFF Gold, TK Elite
Hi All,

I've accumulated nearly 100,000 avios and would like to use a tranche of them to UUA the LHR-SIN-SYD-SIN-LHR sectors of the below itinerary.

Am I right in thinking that I would have to UUA in pairs SIN-SYD-SIN and LHR-SIN-LHR, and would there be any difficulty with the two different P/E booking classes?

Apologies if this is in the wrong place and thanks in advance for any help. ^

Last edited by wjh5879; Dec 18, 2014 at 6:48 am Reason: Clarity
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:48 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wjh5879
Hi All,

I've accumulated nearly 100,000 avios and would like to use a tranche of them to UUA the below itinerary.

Am I right in thinking that I would have to UUA in pairs SIN-SYD-SIN and LHR-SIN-LHR, and would there be any difficulty with the two different P/E booking classes?
No, you can upgrade each segment if/when there is award availability in CW.

So if you find CW availability on BA15 SIN-SYD for your date of travel you can upgrade that, then if later you find CW availability on BA12 SIN-LHR for your date of travel you can upgrade that.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QFF Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by nux
No, you can upgrade each segment if/when there is award availability in CW.

So if you find CW availability on BA15 SIN-SYD for your date of travel you can upgrade that, then if later you find CW availability on BA12 SIN-LHR for your date of travel you can upgrade that.
Great, thanks.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I'm looking at DFW-CZM, which should be a total RT of 2062 miles. Availability for both economy and business. When I price it out, the total comes to 15,000 points. Shouldn't it be 12,500? The only thing I can think of is that it's putting me in Premium Economy instead of Economy. Any way to force to Economy? In menu search, I selected Economy (though there was a choice for Premium).
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I'm looking at DFW-CZM, which should be a total RT of 2062 miles. Availability for both economy and business. When I price it out, the total comes to 15,000 points. Shouldn't it be 12,500? The only thing I can think of is that it's putting me in Premium Economy instead of Economy. Any way to force to Economy? In menu search, I selected Economy (though there was a choice for Premium).
DFW-CZM is ~1055 miles and so a redemption in economy DFW-CZM nonstop should be 7500 avios and CZM-DFW should be 7500 avios for a total of 15000 avios for a round trip. You do not look at round trip mileage but at the mileage for each segment.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
DFW-CZM is ~1055 miles and so a redemption in economy DFW-CZM nonstop should be 7500 avios and CZM-DFW should be 7500 avios for a total of 15000 avios for a round trip. You do not look at round trip mileage but at the mileage for each segment.
AH! Thank you. I could not figure it out. So they do it per segment not per total. Bummer. I could save quite a bit x5 for family if it were total. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.