Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2014

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I have a couple of noob questions regarding UUA and POUG:

Right now the flight I want to upgrade is F6 A6 J9 C9 D9 R8 I2 W0 Y9 B9 H1 M0 G0 and all but four seats are unassigned in WTP.

1. What are the odds of a cabin roll?

2. If it's W0 will UUA space be more likely to open up?

3. I've tried to see if there are any POUGs available as well, but when I hit upgrade using money and fareband not found comes up. Could this be because I already upgraded one leg?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:00 pm

I booked a QF award with cash + Avios points on BA.com. I have 3 questions for the experts:

1) Will I be able to earn AA or BA miles/points for this award since it was partly paid with cash?
2) If I need to cancel this award, can I do so online to avoid any phone fees?
3) If I do cancel, what is the likelihood the award seat gets returned to available inventory (and if likely, how long till lit would appear)?

Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:52 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by palefire
Quick UuA question. If there are two passengers on the PNR, does there have to be upgrade inventory available for both of them in order to do an online UuA
No you will only be able to upgrade both passengers online. To upgrade one you need to split the booking which can only be done over the phone.

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
1. What are the odds of a cabin roll?
2. If it's W0 will UUA space be more likely to open up?
3. I've tried to see if there are any POUGs available as well, but when I hit upgrade using money and fareband not found comes up. Could this be because I already upgraded one leg?
1. Do you mean the chances of an opup? There is no guarantee but if WTP is oversold then there is a chance.
2. UuA uses the same inventory as normal awards. Unless you work in RevMan for BA you are unlikely to know. If J starts filling also it is less likely for award space to be released.
3. Yes, so it is unlikely you'll be offered a POUG until OLCI.

Originally Posted by Ross0
1) Will I be able to earn AA or BA miles/points for this award since it was partly paid with cash?
2) If I need to cancel this award, can I do so online to avoid any phone fees?
3) If I do cancel, what is the likelihood the award seat gets returned to available inventory (and if likely, how long till lit would appear)?
1. No, it is still an award booking and books into an award bucket.
2. Yes
3. It is QF award space so QF determines whether it will be re-released. In my experience it does not always go back.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by nux

1. No, it is still an award booking and books into an award bucket.
2. Yes
3. It is QF award space so QF determines whether it will be re-released. In my experience it does not always go back.
Thank you!

On #3, how would I go about doing that? In my booking page on BA.com there is a link to, "Cancellation options for this booking" When I click it the site says, "We are unable to process a refund for you online. Please contact us for all refund enquiries."

Am I looking at the wrong place?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:40 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ross0
On #3, how would I go about doing that? In my booking page on BA.com there is a link to, "Cancellation options for this booking" When I click it the site says, "We are unable to process a refund for you online. Please contact us for all refund enquiries."

Am I looking at the wrong place?
In that case you will need to call BAEC to cancel.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:36 am
Formerly known as joannerose66

Programs: Gold BA Exec, Hyatt Globalist
Excuse my ignorance of all the correct acronyms etc... but I wondered if I could check something:

I booked a flight LHR-IAD - outbound was restricted economy, return was semi flexible economy (H class). I've just paid to upgrade to WT+ (POUG?) and wanted to see it was possible to UuA to CW. There's availability to upgrade to CW, but I'm being told I can't upgrade my outbound trip to CW even though I'm currently in WT+

Is it not possible to do this?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by joannerose66
I booked a flight LHR-IAD - outbound was restricted economy, return was semi flexible economy (H class). I've just paid to upgrade to WT+ (POUG?) and wanted to see it was possible to UuA to CW. There's availability to upgrade to CW, but I'm being told I can't upgrade my outbound trip to CW even though I'm currently in WT+

Is it not possible to do this?
Correct: once you've POUGd, you can't UuA to a higher cabin.

You'd know whether it was a POUG, because the website will identify a "special offer" for a POUG price. It won't if it's simply the price for a cash upgrade in accordance with the fare rules.

If, for some reason, it was not a POUG but a fare rules upgrade to WT+, then you should still be able to UuA if there is award availability in CW.

And there seems to be nothing wrong in your understanding of all the acronyms!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:18 pm

Programs: BA executive club Sliver
AMEX BA Companion vouchers - are they really VFM?

Hello,

I am a new member to flyertalk and wanted to ask for advice.
I have just received a new companion voucher which is valid for 2 years but seem unable to find ANY seat availbility to use it in Business Class or First Class to Sydney from the UK next year (up to 30 Sep 2015 currently).

Is this BA's way of suppressing take up on a popular route (LHR-SYD)?

Apologies if I have not used this forum correctly.

jroyhutchison
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:48 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jroyhutchison
Hello,

I am a new member to flyertalk and wanted to ask for advice.
I have just received a new companion voucher which is valid for 2 years but seem unable to find ANY seat availbility to use it in Business Class or First Class to Sydney from the UK next year (up to 30 Sep 2015 currently).

Is this BA's way of suppressing take up on a popular route (LHR-SYD)?

Apologies if I have not used this forum correctly.

jroyhutchison
Yes LHR-SYD is very difficult to find award availability. Award seats are released on this route but are usually booked within an hour of being released, so you need to be ready as soon as they are released (354 days in advance) and lucky.

Another option is to book to an Asian gateway (HKG, SIN, TYO, KUL, BKK) and book a revenue onward ticket.

Or book an ex-EU revenue fare, which when you factor in the avios earn you may come out ahead if you value avios around 0.8p+ (and earn 600+ TP's which is enough to qualify for silver).
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:11 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jroyhutchison
unable to find ANY seat [...] in Business Class or First Class to Sydney from the UK next year (up to 30 Sep 2015 currently)
Welcome to FlyerTalk and the BA board, jroyhutchison. Your first post displays all the characteristics of correct forum use.

You already have good advice from nux. I will only add that securing award seats on these difficult routes isn't quite as difficult as you will sometimes read. If you have to travel on specific dates, prepare for disappointment. But with a bit of flexibility you have a real chance of getting what you want.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:25 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Many thanks for a great thread. I couldn't find the answer to a few questions though:

Do the Avios for a UUA have to come from the account of the pax on the ticket? In other words, can I use my Avios to upgrade my wife?

Also, does anyone know what the uptick in fuel surcharge is for upgrading from WT+ to Business class on ORD-LHR-ORD?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:18 pm

Thank you for this excellent thread.

I have been trying to use the BA award search to find availability on some intra South American flights.

I can find award seats Santaigo (SCL) to Punta Arenas ( PUQ) but the system does not recognise Ushuaia (USH) as a possible destination ( from Buenos Aires EZE / AEP or indeed from anywhere). Both are on the same latitude pretty well.

I am not saying that there are no award flights listed EZE/AEP-USH ( I understand that ) more that USH is just not recognised in the search engine at all. The BA agent did confirm that she could see USH as a destination but I am really not up to ringing twice daily to check- not an elite member. Unfortunately Expertflyer cannot access LAN award availability.

Do you think it is a matter of LAN not thinking that it would be a popular flight for BA Exec members ( it is on LAN frequent flier destinations) or does the BA award system booking system simply not recognise USH as a possible destination-? computer or original software input glitch.

Any thoughts?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by ozflier
Thank you for this excellent thread.

I have been trying to use the BA award search to find availability on some intra South American flights.

I can find award seats Santaigo (SCL) to Punta Arenas ( PUQ) but the system does not recognise Ushuaia (USH) as a possible destination ( from Buenos Aires EZE / AEP or indeed from anywhere). Both are on the same latitude pretty well.

I am not saying that there are no award flights listed EZE/AEP-USH ( I understand that ) more that USH is just not recognised in the search engine at all. The BA agent did confirm that she could see USH as a destination but I am really not up to ringing twice daily to check- not an elite member. Unfortunately Expertflyer cannot access LAN award availability.

Do you think it is a matter of LAN not thinking that it would be a popular flight for BA Exec members ( it is on LAN frequent flier destinations) or does the BA award system booking system simply not recognise USH as a possible destination-? computer or original software input glitch.

Any thoughts?
ba.com does not recognize all partner destinations. See these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...e-ushuaia.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...6quot%3Bba.com
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ing-avios.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...epic-fail.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...seoul-gmp.html
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:19 pm

Thank you so much for that .

SCL to Punta Arenas seems to be accessible but no flights from USH to or from AEP.

Looks like we will have to wait until the computer programmes are rewritten for BA and QF.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
My apologies if this has been answered already. If I book a ticket using Avios (I'm OWE, but not through BA), can I change the class of service when J opens up closer to departure for free, or do I need to pay the standard change fee? I know the fee isn't huge, but it comes out to $46 ($23 in taxes per person forfeited) which I don't really want to just throw down the drain.

Segment in question is DPS-HKG one-way. J class almost always opens up last minute, but I also don't want to be stranded in Bali in case it doesn't, which is why I want to lock in Y now.

Will BA let me upgrade class of service without paying fees?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.