Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2014

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: AF P, BA G, A3 *G, EK G
I am getting ready to book my very first award travel award from europe to melbourne. I am booking it for my mother in law who wants to visit her sister who is not well. The taxes and fees are nearly as expensive as just a ticket on china southern with no miles. (in the calculator i thought i had enough with my 50k to get her one way but was gobsmacked by the taxes since int he calc it said 0 taxes and fees) I see on AA.com that there is Economy mile saver available for 45k from LHR to MEL.

My question is:

Is it possible to call baec and have them book me this aa ticket on QF metal for the 45k?

On a side note:

I have roughly 50k miles with each of the three major alliances. I am trying to find the lowest cash way from Europe (any city) to melbourne. If anyone has kind advice it would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to get my mom in law out there before her sister passes.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:38 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by want2beaqui
The taxes and fees are nearly as expensive as just a ticket on china southern with no miles.
That's often the case when you redeem miles for economy flights, unfortunately. But the additional flexibility can mean it's still a good use of miles (e.g. being able to book outbound and return trips separately if you're not sure in advance how long your mother will want/need to stay).

If you post more details of cities (where in Europe will your mother be starting from?), dates and the flights you've found then I'm sure people will be happy to help (including me if I happen to be in front of the computer when you post).
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:41 pm

It can be from any european city as my sister in law has said she would cover the flight if she needs to re-position for the trip.

Thank you IMH for the kind repsonse.

She is very flexible on dates being retired and all.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:44 pm
IMH

It can be from any european city [...]

She is very flexible on dates [...]
I understand, but she probably has preferences... If she lives in Paris and wants to go next week then we won't start by searching for December trips beginning in Athens...
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:45 pm

Ok sorry... Late september to mid october any western european city. She live on the IOW.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:47 pm
IMH

Late september to mid october any western european city.
Thanks. Also, even though technically off topic: which programmes are the Star Alliance and SkyTeam miles in? Miles & More? Flying Blue?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:49 pm

Flyingblue and Aegean
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:14 pm
IMH

Flyingblue and Aegean
I should have spotted that on your profile -- sorry for being slow.

Cash fares for random mid-week September dates seem to start at around 780 GBP for the return trip. Assume zero flexibility to change trip length.

Lots of redemption availability, pretty much every day. 50,000 Avios + around 330 GBP for LON-MEL via DXB (BA and Qantas) or KUL (Malaysia). Cash element only around 200 GBP for MEL-XXX-LHR because there's no APD.

Lots of Star Alliance availability on TG via BKK. 50,000 Aegean miles one way plus fees/taxes -- I'm not up to date on those I'm afraid but they won't be higher than BA's.

Bottom line: around 530 GBP plus 100,000 Avios/miles, with the flexibility to book each direction separately and at short notice, or 780 GBP for a cash ticket.

EDITED TO ADD: I ignored a question in your first post:
Is it possible to call baec and have them book me this aa ticket on QF metal for the 45k?
Unfortunately not. But if you have a friend or family member with AA miles they could.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:23 pm

Thanks IMH... About all the same I discovered also... Sounds like I'll use OW for the return with Myles and *A on thai for the outbound.

Really thank you! Very helpful. Made me realize I'm not missing much and you confirmed for me!

Will post back what the final itinery I end up with.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:26 pm
IMH

Thanks IMH... About all the same I discovered also...
Happy to help. I'm pretty sure we haven't missed anything but if I were you I'd wait until tomorrow (or the next day) before booking -- lots of people look at this thread and if there is a better way of doing things then someone will almost certainly let you know.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
My question is:

No. The cost is 50k Avios one-way plus taxes, fees, and charges.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:48 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
No doubt an old topic - I know that in 2012 avois upgrades were only possible on BA issued (125 stock) tickets , has it changed?

Has this changed? I have a BA flight number, BA operated segment on an AA (001 stock) eTicket, issued in the country of my BAEC membership, in an eligible booking class (I) - is this avios upgrade-able?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alexwuk
No doubt an old topic - I know that in 2012 avois upgrades were only possible on BA issued (125 stock) tickets , has it changed?

Has this changed? I have a BA flight number, BA operated segment on an AA (001 stock) eTicket, issued in the country of my BAEC membership, in an eligible booking class (I) - is this avios upgrade-able?
No, there hasn't been any change. The guide for UuA is:

• BA issued tickets (can include other carriers) ^
  • TA issued (on BA stock) booking with only BA flights ^
  • TA issued (on BA stock) booking with other carriers
  • Tickets issued on non-BA stock
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by alexwuk
Originally Posted by KARFA
No, there hasn't been any change. The guide for UuA is:

• BA issued tickets (can include other carriers) ^
  • TA issued (on BA stock) booking with only BA flights ^
  • TA issued (on BA stock) booking with other carriers
  • Tickets issued on non-BA stock
It may not be relevant to you but if you happen to have AAdvantage miles you could use those.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by golfmad
It may not be relevant to you but if you happen to have AAdvantage miles you could use those.
No, he can't use AAdvantage miles because he is not booked in an eligible fare class for upgrading on participating airlines. Alexwuk is booked in "I".
From aa.com:
AAdvantage members may use AAdvantage miles to upgrade on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia flights*. Miles may be used to upgrade yourself or anyone you designate. And now, you can upgrade tickets booked by American Airlines (via Reservations or AA.com) as well as bookings made through a travel agency or other source.

Each one-way upgrade is valid up to three segments from an individual published full fare ticket per the chart below. Definitions of the eligible fare types are as follows:

Full Fare Business includes published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.