Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Likelyhood of more seats being open for redemption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Hi guys, I need to travel from GLA to HKG between 16th Oct and leaving on 27th Oct - however there are currently no redemption on those dates!.

I managed to secure a single way to HKG in F on the 18th which is the latest I want to travel for my outbound as I have an exam on the 23rd and I definitely don't want to be too jet-lagged for that lol. I would ideally like to "downgrade" this to CW to save a few points and also get to use my Lloyds voucher.

For the inbound, there are no seats open except Tuesday 30th October. I ideally would like to come back either Saturday so that I can goto work on Monday but if that isn't possible, Sunday/ Monday is also an option. Tuesday is doable but not ideal as it means I need to take more time off. Just thinking if I should "secure" that space or not.

I looked at the redemption about 10 days ago and Sunday and Monday actually came up with no "X seats left" warning and then when I checked it the next day, everything is gone. Not sure if these are redemption or some sort of system blocking the redemption seats ?

Do you guys have any suggestions or advice if there are any seats going from HKG to GLA ? Doesn't need to be direct - don't mind changing once for the international flight but nothing seems to be coming up. What are the likelyhood of more redemption seats being opened on the Sat/Sun/ Monday?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
If it’s available and you’re willing to do it even though it’s not ideal book it ASAP.
You can always change if something better comes up.
I wouldn’t rely on anything else opening up, perhaps s few days before, but no one can know.

Is availability better LHR-HKG ? Might be worth doing if it is.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Also note that Cathay availability frequently opens up in the few days before, however Cathay availability often doesn’t appear online due to some historic fraudulent Avios spending on Cathay. You can find availability through Asia Miles, which sometimes is also available for BAEC members (it’s always worked for me, but others have had a different experience), but you must phone up to book,
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Nothing is available on LHR - HKG other than the one I already booked. There was quite literally only 1 seat left and it was in F on a date which is a day or 2 later than my ideal travel date but just went for it.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Howard Long
Also note that Cathay availability frequently opens up in the few days before, however Cathay availability often doesn’t appear online due to some historic fraudulent Avios spending on Cathay. You can find availability through Asia Miles, which sometimes is also available for BAEC members (it’s always worked for me, but others have had a different experience), but you must phone up to book,
Does that mean if there is availability in CX asia mile's website, it should be available with BA even though it isn't showing up ? Just that I need to phone to book it ?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by AceCobra1
Nothing is available on LHR - HKG other than the one I already booked. There was quite literally only 1 seat left and it was in F on a date which is a day or 2 later than my ideal travel date but just went for it.
Have you looked at Gatwick or Manchester to Hong Kong on Cathay
Don't think they have first but Cathay business is pretty good
AceCobra1 and mikeyfly like this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
If you really need to be somewhere at a specific date, then relying on "likelihood" of seat redemption is fallacy.

If someone told you there was a 50% chance of getting those seats, what course of action would you take? If they told you there was a 75% chance, what course of action would you take?

These kinds of gambles are OK for folks with flexible plans. I would not recommend it for someone who has to be some place for an important exam at a certain time.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Just booked the flights leaving on Tuesday - hope they open some seats for Saturday/ Sunday then I change my booking
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Does that mean if there is availability in CX asia mile's website, it should be available with BA even though it isn't showing up ? Just that I need to phone to book it ?
In my experience, yes, but others have suggested this isn't always the case.

What you can be fairly sure of is if it isn't available in Asia Miles it won't be available for Avios redemption.

Given the choice between CX and BA, I much prefer CX in F on pretty much every facet. Just those six seats add a distinct feeling of exclusivity. The little hand written "Bon appetit" cards are cute. Dare I mention flowers?

Other options are that as well as three or even sometimes four LHR F services daily, CX also offer one daily F from CDG, FRA, MXP and ZRH, so you may wish to consider those options too if you're going to need to connect anyway, albeit you may end up paying for a separate non-BA flight, and risk a mis-connect.

There's no F on the Gatwick service.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Howard Long
In my experience, yes, but others have suggested this isn't always the case.

What you can be fairly sure of is if it isn't available in Asia Miles it won't be available for Avios redemption.

Given the choice between CX and BA, I much prefer CX in F on pretty much every facet. Just those six seats add a distinct feeling of exclusivity. The little hand written "Bon appetit" cards are cute. Dare I mention flowers?

Other options are that as well as three or even sometimes four LHR F services daily, CX also offer one daily F from CDG, FRA, MXP and ZRH, so you may wish to consider those options too if you're going to need to connect anyway, albeit you may end up paying for a separate non-BA flight, and risk a mis-connect.

There's no F on the Gatwick service.
Yeah, I have been on CX F a few times. However, there is no availability at all lol. To be honest, I would rather just save my avios and redeem in CW with BA which would also allow me to use my Lloyd ticket. But I guess I have no choice. This will be the first time for me in F BA (assuming I don't change my ticket) but given the option between BA and CX, I guess I would go with CX everytime because I prefer thier food lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.