Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:46 am
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
    I'd love to see a BA AMEX for Swiss residents...
    Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by mike&co
    I received it in today's post too but it's a tall ask for me to spend £10k in that short time frame. Now, if it had been the end of December I might have just made it.
    My wife received one yesterday (26 September). This was on her blue card, which I (I mean she) only signed up for in 2011 for the referral bonus (for me) and her sign up bonus. Never used it since and she (I mean I) forgot to cancel . The offer is for a 3000 Avios bonus for £1000 spend within three months (well two now) because "it looks like it's some time since you used the card".

It's not much, but every little helps...
    Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, IC Ambassador, Sixt Platinum
    Hello!

Sorry maybe it's a dumb question and probably answered quite a few times, but I wanted to double check..

I've got the Premium Plus one since about 3 months and somehow already reached the 10k and the voucher is in the System.
    Can I already downgrade the card to the blue one to get a refund or do I need to book the flight first and then I can downgrade? It'll take some more time to gather the necessary Avios for a nice first redemption..

My 6 Month waiting after cancelling the Gold Amex should be over shortly, so then reapplying there and filling the 2k spend..

Thanks
    P
    Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
    Originally Posted by pebadian
    Hello!

Sorry maybe it's a dumb question and probably answered quite a few times, but I wanted to double check..

I've got the Premium Plus one since about 3 months and somehow already reached the 10k and the voucher is in the System.
    Can I already downgrade the card to the blue one to get a refund or do I need to book the flight first and then I can downgrade? It'll take some more time to gather the necessary Avios for a nice first redemption..

My 6 Month waiting after cancelling the Gold Amex should be over shortly, so then reapplying there and filling the 2k spend..

Thanks
    P
    Amex will tell you that you can downgrade the card and keep the voucher (and presumably get a refund for 8 or 9 months of the fee)

In reality you can cancel the card altogether and the voucher stays in your BA account. This means that you can start the clock on the 6 month wait to get another sign up bonus - if that's what you want to do. You do need to have an Amex card of some description to pay the taxes etc on the 241 redemption - it doesn't need to be a BAPP.
    Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
    MrsLondonAndy got the 10,000 Avios for spending £10K mailshot over the weekend. AmEx are normally pretty good at marketing, but to say you've got 3 months to spend the £10K and then give you just over 2 months is a pretty poor show. We've just bought a new PC and are planning holidays for next year (like others have mentioned) but £10K in two months would be a bit of a stretch - I may contact AmEx and see if they'll extend it for a month...
    Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
    Originally Posted by LondonAndy
    MrsLondonAndy got the 10,000 Avios for spending £10K mailshot over the weekend. AmEx are normally pretty good at marketing, but to say you've got 3 months to spend the £10K and then give you just over 2 months is a pretty poor show. We've just bought a new PC and are planning holidays for next year (like others have mentioned) but £10K in two months would be a bit of a stretch - I may contact AmEx and see if they'll extend it for a month...
    Absolutely agree with your comments. I would have struggled even with the 3 months but my "offer" arrived late too - 3 weeks into the 3 month spend.
    Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
    A heads up to anyone who knows friends and family members off to University this year - many Universities now accept American Express for fee payments...

With the £10k/10kavios offer it could work out quite well? [If only my limit was high enough!]
    Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
    I just hit the £10k extra spend as per the offer, anyone else have any experience on how long the 10k avios take to post?
    Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by crazy8534
    I just hit the £10k extra spend as per the offer, anyone else have any experience on how long the 10k avios take to post?
    How did you track that you hit the spend?
    Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:07 pm

I thought this was it but it's another bonus

Old Sep 29, 2016, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by omk298
    Amex will tell you that you can downgrade the card and keep the voucher (and presumably get a refund for 8 or 9 months of the fee)

In reality you can cancel the card altogether and the voucher stays in your BA account. This means that you can start the clock on the 6 month wait to get another sign up bonus - if that's what you want to do. You do need to have an Amex card of some description to pay the taxes etc on the 241 redemption - it doesn't need to be a BAPP.
    That's amazing news, thank you! I thought it needs to be active (even as a blue) will cancel it then, get a refund and reapply in 6 months Nice!
    Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:25 am
    Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
    Original Poster

That's amazing news, thank you! I thought it needs to be active (even as a blue) will cancel it then, get a refund and reapply in 6 months Nice!
    i can tell you from personal experience, cancelling the card will result in the instant removal of all earned vouchers.
    Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Prospero
    i can tell you from personal experience, cancelling the card will result in the instant removal of all earned vouchers.
    Eeeh okay, so not cancelling than. Wow thanks. Downgrading to Blue is ok though? Or would I lose the voucher and need to fill the 20k?
    Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
    Eeeh okay, so not cancelling than. Wow thanks. Downgrading to Blue is ok though? Or would I lose the voucher and need to fill the 20k?
    Downgrade and you'll be fine with your existing companion voucher.
    Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
    Originally Posted by Prospero
    Was this a recent experience? I cancelled my BAPP 5 and a bit weeks ago after hearing from HfP that the voucher wouldn't be removed, I've just checked and the voucher is still there and available for redemption.

Perhaps I should book something quick before it disappears!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.