Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend Ł3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend Ł1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of Ł1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of Ł3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the Ł10,000 (or Ł20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under Ł1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: Ł2,500
    • Refund protection: Ł300 (Ł200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: Ł200 (Ł0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): Ł750 (Ł0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): Ł1,000 (Ł0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: Ł250,000 (Ł75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): Ł1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): Ł3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
    Originally Posted by fruitcage
    Are you sure the email was not from Amex rather than BA?
    Yes it came from [email protected]. It had all my BAEC account information (e.g. status, Avios etc) at the top which Amex wouldn't know.
    Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by pauldb
    I got the offer in May and receive the bonus with no hassle. I already had a supp card for my wife so the new supp cardholder wasn't my first. My offer t&cs said "you will only receive the 3,000 Avios bonus for the first approved Card".

I figured I wasn't risky much either way. In fact I felt pretty safe I was eligible if they sent me the email knowing my situation, not being specific about ineligibility.
    Thanks pauldb will give it a go in that case. ^
    Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by wheatbeer
    I received an email from BA offering me 3000 Avios for adding a Supplementary Cardholder to my BAPP account, however it says for the 1st additional card only but I already have an 1 additional cardholder. Is there a chance I would get the 3000 Avios for the 2nd cardholder? Otherwise I am not sure why they sent it to me? Or is it just because of their crap IT doesn't know I already I have added one already?
    I received this offer, already having multiple supp's on my account, I applied for another however did not automatically receive the bonus. A call to Amex a few weeks later resolved that. Just give them a call
    Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Bronze
    Not strictly BA Amex relevant but thought I would ask here first!

I'm going on Sabbatical for 6 months in August and would like to still try and earn as many Avios (or other reward scheme) points as possible.

Currently have a Platinum BA Amex card, however I'm also looking for a 0% on purchases for big ticket items when abroad. Is there a card out there that does this and provides Avios or other loyalty points?
    Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
    Originally Posted by Furton

I'm going on Sabbatical for 6 months in August and would like to still try and earn as many Avios (or other reward scheme) points as possible.

Currently have a Platinum BA Amex card, however I'm also looking for a 0% on purchases for big ticket items when abroad. Is there a card out there that does this and provides Avios or other loyalty points?
    Yes - the Lloyds Avios card https://www.avios.com/gb/en_gb/colle...t-card-account

1.25avios/Ł on the Amex, 0.25 on the MC. But double earnings for 6 months on the Amex and by the looks of it 29 months interest free initially. There's also no FX loading (saves the typically 3% abroad). Also an upgrade voucher once you've spend Ł7k (e.g. a return J redemption for the cost of WT+).

Card has a Ł24 fee but let me know if you'd like a referral that gets you and me 4500 avios each (but can take a while to come through).
    Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: Nandos Chillis
    Originally Posted by Furton

There's the Amex Gold credit card which has a 0% on purchases option. It's free, but the downsides are forex fees and not being able to churn the Gold/Plat PRG, but only applies if you don't put a lot of spend through it. More info over on HfP which is where I found out about it - http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/10/10/american-express-gold-credit-card-benefits/

If you 0% you mean 0% on forex fees and you're paying off those bills in full, then as per the post above, the Lloyds Amex is your best bet. I didn't realise it also offered 0% on purchases for 29 months, sounds like it is the perfect match if you don't mind the Ł24 annual fee!

Last edited by TheUrbanite; Jun 26, 2017 at 4:42 pm
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:28 am

Does anyone if you downgrade from the BAPP to the free card whether your balance transfers across or is it effectively a new account?

Also, if a refund is processed to the BAPP after you downgrade does it get applied to the free BA card?

Thanks for any help.
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
    I have just got the offer with 3000 avios for adding an additional cardholder. I was wondering, if I add someone and later they apply for the same BA card, do they still get the signup bonus? Basically I'm asking if being an additional cardholder counts towards the 6 months limit they have.

Thanks!
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by blueparazol
    I have just got the offer with 3000 avios for adding an additional cardholder. I was wondering, if I add someone and later they apply for the same BA card, do they still get the signup bonus? Basically I'm asking if being an additional cardholder counts towards the 6 months limit they have.

Thanks!
    They will still get the signup bonus, being an additional cardholder has no bearing on their 6 month limit.
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:06 am

Hi,

I have the BAPP, I've hit the Ł10k spend for my 241 voucher and I've now spent the voucher. The voucher flights are in November.

Can I safely downgrade the car now to the free version and get a refund of a couple of months worth of member ship? Are there any implications on our November trip?
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:03 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by Migroo
    Hi,

I have the BAPP, I've hit the Ł10k spend for my 241 voucher and I've now spent the voucher. The voucher flights are in November.

Can I safely downgrade the car now to the free version and get a refund of a couple of months worth of member ship? Are there any implications on our November trip?
    See the answer in the wiki here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...iscussion.html

Q: Does cancelling my BA American Express card mean I will lose the voucher? Does downgrading my BA American Express Premium Plus card to the Classic card mean I will lose my voucher?

A: No. Contrary to what American Express will tell you, you will keep the voucher if you cancel the card entirely, and similarly your voucher will retain its two year validity if you downgrade from the Premium Plus card to the Classic Card. Remember though that you will need to pay the taxes and fees on an American Express card, so it may be worth asking to downgrade the Premium Plus to the Classic card for this purpose if you don’t hold another Amex.
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by wheatbeer
    They will still get the signup bonus, being an additional cardholder has no bearing on their 6 month limit.
    Thanks a lot, that's great to hear!
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Missing BAPP Referral Bonus

My wife referred me for the card which I've since received. She is therefore due to receive the 9,000 bonus avios to her BAEC. According to her Amex account online, these were transferred across to BA on 28th June. Her BAEC shows no record of this. In the past the transfer has been instantaneous - and I've already received the card, hit the 3k spend target on the card myself and received the 25k plus 1k bonus for her referring me, yet no sign of her 9,000 bonus.

Her card is now cancelled - in fact it was cancelled before the points were transferred across but we double checked with Amex to see if this would cause an issue and they assured us it would not and we could cancel the card and the bonus would still transfer across.

We have chased Amex again who have confirmed that the 9,000 bonus was sent on 28th June to her BAEC number. So I am not sure who's issue this is - Amex or BA?
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:33 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by UTFB
    Missing BAPP Referral Bonus

My wife referred me for the card which I've since received. She is therefore due to receive the 9,000 bonus avios to her BAEC. According to her Amex account online, these were transferred across to BA on 28th June. Her BAEC shows no record of this. In the past the transfer has been instantaneous - and I've already received the card, hit the 3k spend target on the card myself and received the 25k plus 1k bonus for her referring me, yet no sign of her 9,000 bonus.

Her card is now cancelled - in fact it was cancelled before the points were transferred across but we double checked with Amex to see if this would cause an issue and they assured us it would not and we could cancel the card and the bonus would still transfer across.

We have chased Amex again who have confirmed that the 9,000 bonus was sent on 28th June to her BAEC number. So I am not sure who's issue this is - Amex or BA?
    Was the correct BAEC number in the card? Can you get Amex to confirm the number?

Btw, the bolded section by me is because I am very surprised anyone would do that since there is a much larger potential to mess everything up. Surely it would have been better to get the points across first (it doesn't take more than a few days) and cancel after.
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by blueparazol

Thanks!
    Does anyone know if this is a targeted offer? I got an e-mail a few days ago offering 3000 MR for a supplementary card on my Amex gold but no mails for my BAPP. I am just about to cancel the gold but I do actually have a need to add a supplementary card on the BAPP imminently so 3000 avios would be nice. I previously got an e-mail about the offer on the BAPP back in February but nothing this time around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.