Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Bronze
    Originally Posted by GentleGiant
    Be careful that the missed direct debit does not affect your credit score.
    I didn't think of that! Thank you

ll give them a call then - they'll probably be quite busy!
    Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:26 am

Programs: BA silver,
    Originally Posted by CountryKerry
    Quick question: is anyone else having difficulties right now with online services? I can't log in to make a payment and the automated direct debit never came out earlier in the week :/

Also - Avios don't seem to have transferred for me.

I did attempt a call earlier but the wait time was "under 15 minutes"
    I too cannot login. Assumed it was bank holiday maintenance overnight in the US.
    Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:36 am

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on FlyerTalk so forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong place. I have been browsing the forums for sometime and gained some invaluable advice, so thank you all for that! I now have a query of my own in relation to upgrading the basic BA Amex card. I have searched the forums but haven't managed to find an answer.

Sometime ago I applied for the basic BA card and have been conducting my spend on it ever since. At the time of taking the card out I didn't want to pay the fee for the premium card (we had just finished paying for a wedding and honeymoon) and in all honesty I didn't think I would reach the £10K spend. However, with both my wife and I as cardholders we have managed to hit the £10K spend on the basic card.

By chance yesterday I read this article:

https://insideflyer.co.uk/2016/01/ge...minimum-spend/

which suggests there is an option to upgrade a basic BA card with £10K spend, get the companion voucher and then (if you wish) downgrade the now premium card back to a basic BA amex.

This morning I phoned Amex to enquire whether upgrading my basic card to premium would entitle me to the companion voucher and they confirmed it would. At that point, and without prompting, Amex then informed me that if I were to do this I would be unable to revert back to the basic card (i.e. I wouldn’t be able to downgrade the premium card back to basic) they also said, and this was more surprising, that should I apply for a basic card in the future there is a likelihood I would be rejected because of the above ‘transaction’.

Does this ring true with anyone else on this forum? I understand the logic of not being able to downgrade a premium card once it had been upgraded, although it doesn’t correlate with what people seem to be doing on this forum. Indeed, I would probably be minded to hold onto the premium card for a while so as not to arise too much suspicion.

Any help/advice people could give on this would be much appreciated. Will I be prevented from downgrading my premium card when I had previously upgraded it? Have people had this same message when trying to do what I am suggesting? Has anyone ever been rejected from a BA card because of doing this?

For clarity I would stress that in the future I intend on referring my wife to the PP card in order to obtain another companion voucher for future use – I understand the argument of BA/Amex becoming annoyed with constant upgraders and downgraders, I don’t intend on doing that.

Many thanks in advance, I hope the above makes sense!
    Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
    I recall reading somewhere (so not gospel) that you are only able to upgrade or downgrade a card once, and any further changes must be submitted as a new application. With this in mind, it seems Amex have given you the correct information and you will have to close the card if you do not want to use it anymore. You will get a pro rata refund of the card fee if you choose this option.

On the other point - I'm not sure how they can say with certainty you will be rejected, but I haven't personally seen any examples of this happening.

Most people on the forum apply for the premium card first, get the voucher and then downgrade to the regular blue card as you achieve the bonus quicker and get more Avios in that time. It seems like your situation is a slight kerfuffle but nothing that can't be resolved - you may just want to use a Membership Rewards card for 6-12 months (the Gold charge card is free for a year) so you can still earn Avios and pay the taxes on your 2-4-1, and then re-apply.

Oh, and welcome to FlyerTalk. Stick around - we're mostly quite nice.
    Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by obduro
    With this in mind, it seems Amex have given you the correct information and you will have to close the card if you do not want to use it anymore. You will get a pro rata refund of the card fee if you choose this option.
    Thank you Obduro for your speedy response. Quick question in relation to the above, I've seen various posts on the forum about potentially losing the companion voucher if you close the card on which it was earned - What seems to be the general consensus on this point now? I suppose for safety it makes sense for me to hold the premium card until we've used the companion voucher, we are thinking of travelling early next year.

Also, in relation to the pro rata refund, how would this work if you were to close your account rather than downgrade it?

Also, thank you for the welcome!
    Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
    Originally Posted by StuartRose
    Thank you Obduro for your speedy response. Quick question in relation to the above, I've seen various posts on the forum about potentially losing the companion voucher if you close the card on which it was earned - What seems to be the general consensus on this point now? I suppose for safety it makes sense for me to hold the premium card until we've used the companion voucher, we are thinking of travelling early next year.

Also, in relation to the pro rata refund, how would this work if you were to close your account rather than downgrade it?

Also, thank you for the welcome!
    The general consensus is that the voucher is fine and you won't lose it, but there has been the odd report of it dropping off. This seems like an e-Gremlin rather than sabotage, but it's hard to be certain. It shouldn't drop off in any event as you've earned it, but to completely eliminate the risk you could book the 2-4-1 and then close the card as you say. It depends on what you feel comfortable with.

The process for the pro-rata refund is quite straightforward - when you close the account you are sent a final statement, on which you will be in credit for the pro-rata refund. You can then call Amex to determine how you would like it refunded to you - they can return it to a method of your choosing or alternatively transfer the credit balance to another Amex card (if you hold one).
    Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: Amex Platinum UK and related Hotel loyalty programs
    Originally Posted by madfish
    Yes. Not been able to log in all morning.
    I had the "thank you for your payment " email and it's shows as paid on my Amex account but the payment has not left my bank account it's been 4 days
    Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:11 pm
    formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
    BA AMEX Premium

I've not really played the credit card market in the UK much.
    Have done a lot of it in the US.

But I have the BA AMEX premium card and i'm one of the suckers that has to pay the 195 GBP annual fee.

If I cancel the card before the renewal and then say wait 6 months

Can I apply for the card again and get the bonus.

I know that AMEX rules in the USA are one card bonus per card EVER. Not sure if this is the rule in the UK.
    Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
    Yes that is the usual process (churn after 6 months) but consider if you are close to earning a 2-4-1 and also remember that you can cancel for a pro rata refund in the future when you close the account
    Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:17 pm
    formerly southsidesilver

Yes that is the usual process but consider if you are close to earning a 2-4-1 and also remember that you can cancel for a pro rata refund in the future when you churn
    Thanks. I waited until the last month to push the spend for the 2-4-1 and it was issued last month at the 11th month to give me more time to use it.

Think I will go for the SPG card next, until I apply for the BA one again. As it won't be around much longer.
    Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
    Originally Posted by When I Travel The World
    I've not really played the credit card market in the UK much.
    Have done a lot of it in the US.

But I have the BA AMEX premium card and i'm one of the suckers that has to pay the 195 GBP annual fee.

If I cancel the card before the renewal and then say wait 6 months

Can I apply for the card again and get the bonus.

I know that AMEX rules in the USA are one card bonus per card EVER. Not sure if this is the rule in the UK.

hi

In short, Yes.

I'm not as a fan of it as much as previously, particularly due to my belief that pax using it are easy targets for BA to choose if a (rare) downgrade is necessary. Its also my understanding that BA attempts to interpret Avios pax has having less rights than cash pax under EU261.

Raffles at headforpoints is a good source for such BA PP Amex 241 and many other questions, you'd be welcome over on there...

http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/10/28/british-airways-american-express-premium-plus-credit-card-review-2/
    Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:23 pm
    formerly southsidesilver

In short, Yes.

I'm not as a fan of it as much as previously, particularly due to my belief that pax using it are easy targets for BA to choose if a (rare) downgrade is necessary. Its also my understanding that BA attempts to interpret Avios pax has having less rights than cash pax under EU261.

Raffles at headforpoints is a good source for such BA PP Amex 241 and many other questions, you'd be welcome over on there...

http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/10...card-review-2/
    Thank you.
    Old May 10, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
    Am I right in thinking that by going paperless I've lost the opportunity to settle my bill over the counter at the bank - with cash or cheque?

I've printed the PDF of the statement but there's no giro slip included.

Thanks, HH.
    Old May 10, 2017, 1:05 am
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
    Originally Posted by HHarry
    Am I right in thinking that by going paperless I've lost the opportunity to settle my bill over the counter at the bank - with cash or cheque?

I've printed the PDF of the statement but there's no giro slip included.

Thanks, HH.
    Can't say I have paid any bill at the bank for years.

You can however easily set up payments from your bank via their app or website. I do this on a regular basis.

Amex are very quick to credit.

It depends which numbers your card begins with for the sort code, but the info is easy to obtain. Halifax for example have it already built into their site for major cards.
    Old May 10, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
    Thanks GG,

I normally do do it all online, but I've just ended up being paid in cash, and rather than pay it in to my Business account and getting charged 1% for the pleasure, I thought I'd just settle my bill. Just short of a giro slip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.