Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
    When I called to downgrade to the free card, they also offered a "not publically available" intermediate card with a £95 free and 1.25 avios per £

They also confirmed the free card definitly keeps the voucher active.
    Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:19 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    Originally Posted by Morland
    Just received email with promo offer: an extra 3 Avios for each full £8 spent in foreign currency until 31 August. T&Cs seem to imply that it's calculated per transaction, so individual transactions of £7.99 equivalent won't earn any bonus Avios.
    No email here, but sorting through my post after 2 weeks away in the USA, I have a card from BA explaining the deal. So it's not clear from my Amex account whether that's crediting or not. And the old [+] sign against transaction has disappeared, so all I see it the GBP amount.

I really don't see this as a 'big deal', TBH
    Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by ianwall
    When I called to downgrade to the free card, they also offered a "not publically available" intermediate card with a £95 free and 1.25 avios per £

How long is the intermediate voucher valid for? 18 months?
    Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC, KOP 305
    Travel inconvenience: claiming for items not paid for by the BAPP card?

So I arrived at my holiday destination yesterday but unfortunately my checked luggage didn't show up. I reported the missing baggage at the airport and got a PIR report. Still no news on the baggage.

I'm thinking of getting some essentials and possibly claim back the costs as I paid for my flight with my BAPP Amex. The policy does however state that all purchases claimed for must be charged to the BAPP card. However, several places does not take AMEX. Does anybody have any experience in claiming expenses not paid by the card from retailers not allowing Amex payment?

Many thanks in advance.
    Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by Rome77
    So I arrived at my holiday destination yesterday but unfortunately my checked luggage didn't show up. I reported the missing baggage at the airport and got a PIR report. Still no news on the baggage.

I'm thinking of getting some essentials and possibly claim back the costs as I paid for my flight with my BAPP Amex. The policy does however state that all purchases claimed for must be charged to the BAPP card. However, several places does not take AMEX. Does anybody have any experience in claiming expenses not paid by the card from retailers not allowing Amex payment?

Many thanks in advance.
    Keep all receipts, including the card receipts, and when you claim state that certain retailers didn't accept Amex.
    Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by ianwall

Did they say what the required spend for 241 is on the intermediate card? Would be very nice if it was still only 10k as opposed to the 20k on the free card.
    Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by technical_bob
    Did they say what the required spend for 241 is on the intermediate card? Would be very nice if it was still only 10k as opposed to the 20k on the free card.
    Maybe £15k, but not sure.
    Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
    Has anyone else noticed really bizarre offers on their BAPP recently? I was having pretty decent ones, restaurants etc.. , but I looked today and it's all odd places such as:

ASIA DE CUBA RESTAURANT - spend £100 - In London and I'm in Brighton

ORLEBAR BROWN - spend £150 - In London and I'm in Brighton

FERRAGAMO - spend £100 - In London

and many many more all like it!

Could I have accidentally enrolled in something which puts offers for shops in Central London only?

Also, a letter came saying my fee was going up to £195, but not being charged until 1st July 2017. It didn't explicitly say anything about this year - but my anniversary date was 1st July. I haven't been charged anything yet - is Amex giving a year free? I've had my statement and definitely no sign of it...
    Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
    Also, a letter came saying my fee was going up to £195, but not being charged until 1st July 2017. It didn't explicitly say anything about this year - but my anniversary date was 1st July. I haven't been charged anything yet - is Amex giving a year free? I've had my statement and definitely no sign of it...
    No freebies I'm afraid. You will have been charged/paid £150 on 1 July 2016 for your 2016/17 membership year. The next annual fee will be due 1 July 2017. The fee is going up next month, so you just avoided the increase for now, but on 1 July 2017 you will be charged £195
    Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:24 pm
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
    Already increased for new cardholders.
    Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:13 am

Programs: BA silver
    Originally Posted by Rome77

Many thanks in advance.
    I had no luggage for my whole holiday in Goa. The shops near us won't take any card and no bill receipt. I did get my claim though.
    Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Gold. IHG Diamond Elite / Ambassador
    deleted

Last edited by fac383; Nov 21, 2016 at 1:03 am
    Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:39 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
    BAPP cannot recommend a Gold - the card must be the same 'family'.

You can get the Gold with a BAPP, and a bonus, just not via your wifes referral.

Lloyds has no impact except for the general impact that applying for lots of cards in a short time smells of panic.
    Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold. IHG Diamond Elite / Ambassador
    deleted

Last edited by fac383; Nov 21, 2016 at 1:03 am
    Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonours Gold.
    Is there any way of getting a sign up bonus for the card, or is it just fixed at the 18,000 for 3k spend within the first 3 months?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.