Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold
    Originally Posted by pauldb
    The Lloyds card, though an Amex card transactionally, is issued by Lloyds and is therefore not an Amex credit account. You can't up/downgrade between this card and the BA Premium card (so there's no relevance to the £7k). You can churn down from the BA Premium to the BA basic card.

I believe foreign transactions have a 3% charge so this wouldn't be great value if all your spending is non-£.

You of course need a permanent UK address to apply for the BA Amex cards (and a UK registered BAEC account to be credit Amex avios).
    Thanks for your reply.

We are in South Africa on an 18 month secondment, so all banking etc. still registered to the UK, and we are paid our salary from the UK into UK accounts, so no issues there.

Will have a look at the costs involved for using the BA AMEX abroad

Thanks
    Old May 21, 2015, 3:52 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
    You of course need a permanent UK address to apply for the BA Amex cards (and a UK registered BAEC account to be credited Amex avios and the voucher).
    True.

As the OP seems to be a ZA resident. they could join Avios South Africa https://www.avios.com/za/en_za/ and apply for a BA MasterCard from Barclays - http://www.bacard.co.za/britishairways . I've no idea whether a 2-4-1 is offered - the' features and benefits' link leads to a 404.
    Old May 21, 2015, 5:17 am
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Originally Posted by ScotInAfrica
    Hello all

Long time lurker, first time poster ...
    Welcome to the British Airways asylum forum of FlyerTalk. We are pleased to see you here. As you have found there are lots of knowledgeable people here who are always willing to offer help.

Enjoy South Africa, it's a wonderful place and full of surprises!
    Old Jun 1, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by giorgio1712
    Quick question, I am about £800 away from hitting the 10k spend for the 2-4-1 voucher. If my cut off date is the 27th and I make an £800 purchase on that day will that take me over the spend even though it will show as a 'pending transaction' for a few days?
    Not without at least some hassle. The transaction will not properly hit your statement for a couple of days, and will then take at least another day to show in the behind-the-scenes avios count and spend accumulation. So Amex will show it as falling into your next year.

I would say you technically would have met the spend target this year and you should argue it with Amex, but better to do it sooner so it goes through automatically if you can.
    Thought I would come and update this for anyone else in this position in the future. Spent the final £800 on the 27th which was the date that the AMEX site said I had to reach the £10k by. It was then in pending transactions for 3 days and once it cleared did not go towards the spend for my next year. Received an email today saying I had met the spend and the voucher is in my BA account now.
    Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
    Originally Posted by giorgio1712
    Thought I would come and update this for anyone else in this position in the future. Spent the final £800 on the 27th which was the date that the AMEX site said I had to reach the £10k by. It was then in pending transactions for 3 days and once it cleared did not go towards the spend for my next year. Received an email today saying I had met the spend and the voucher is in my BA account now.
    Thanks for sharing ^
    Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Amex Platinum
    Enjoy a £10 statement credit when you spend £35 or more at Amazon.co.uk using your British Airways American Express® Card between 18 June 2015 and 31 July 2015.* Simply click the button to save the offer to your Card and start shopping. Offer is available once per Card for the first 15,000 Cardmembers to register.
    Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:14 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
    Originally Posted by hanrahantom
    Enjoy a £10 statement credit when you spend £35 or more at Amazon.co.uk using your British Airways American Express® Card between 18 June 2015 and 31 July 2015.* Simply click the button to save the offer to your Card and start shopping. Offer is available once per Card for the first 15,000 Cardmembers to register.
    Does not appear on my offers
    Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
    Originally Posted by mikebg
    Does not appear on my offers
    Targetted this one...I don't have it either.
    Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:36 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

I transferred some MR points over on Saturday to grab a couple of flights - naïvely thought it was fairly instant (sure it was last couple of times over past year) but still not showing in BAEC - am desperately worried return flights will disappear!!

Anyone know how long it takes currently, and if I can somehow "secure" the two flights I want?? Only 3,500 short and 40,000 winging their way over
    Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:43 am
    nux
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
    Originally Posted by mikeyfly
    Anyone know how long it takes currently, and if I can somehow "secure" the two flights I want?? Only 3,500 short and 40,000 winging their way over
    Unless you buy the 3,500 avois or use Avios&Money if available, there is not much you can do.
    Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:47 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nux
    Unless you buy the 3,500 avois or use Avios&Money if available, there is not much you can do.
    Hey, thanks nux I thought I'd seen somewhere that maybe the call centre could hold for 24 hours

Would really grate on me to buy 4,000 avios. I also have enough Tesco Clubcard to convert, however again don't know the transfer time

Also, was not the option of money Avios&Money
    Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:44 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
    I have spent £10,500 on the free card.
    If I upgrade to the paid card (BAPP) does the 2-4-1 crystallise automatically? How soon?
    Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:55 pm
    formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
    BA American Express credit card

Yes. Within 48 hours of your approval to Premium.
    Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by rxfleming
    Yes. Within 48 hours of your approval to Premium.
    Excellent - thought this was the case but couldn't find it written anywhere.
    Thanks for the prompt response.
    Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:17 am

Does anyone have a recent experience with Amex foreign currency? I tried it for the first time and I unknowingly exceeded the daily limit and the transaction was declined. Amex sent me a warning email that I tried to withdraw cash - I hope it's not treated as a cash advance if I try again with a lower amount. Also, looking at the headforpoints site, there used to be some offers like "spend X and earn 500 bonus Avios" - do you know if there's any ongoing deal at the moment?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.