Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
    Originally Posted by Pet0r
    Currently hold Amex Gold and BAPP both in my name with my wife being a supplementary cardholder. I guess the best thing for us is to earn the Amex Gold bonus and the Amex 241, and then for me to cancel my cards and for her to take out the same ones (presumably though I should refer her first so there will be some overlap), and then rinse and repeat 6 months down the line. My question is - what happens to my Amex 241 if I haven't spent it when I want to cancel the BAPP?
    I prefer a more cautionary approach of keeping the Gold card for 12 months and referring just before I cancel - although I have only recently cancelled my first gold. Whilst there is no stated reason you can't follow your idea, I would rather keep Amex onside as much as I can.

Yes if you cancel your BAPP without using the 2-4-1 you lose it. Best to downgrade to the free BA card.
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:03 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    Originally Posted by parklife
    As nux says BA PP is better for BA spend. Any other hotels, travel (DLR, trains, flights), supermarket and petrol you will get better on Gold. Anything that is not a bonus category for year 1 then put on BA PP.

I even have the OH trained on what card to use and when, although I have to take one of the BA PP out of her purse so not to confuse her on which one to use!
    I would hesitate to embark on the hazardous journey of managing iWife's purse. Indeed, I would probably be condemned to a life of voice-typing!

However, having splashed out the £150 for the BA Amex PP, I'm content with the 3x Avios on BA spend [including BA Holidays bookings, even when not actually listed! and on Avis/BA]. Given the new UuA rates, we need every Avio we can get

Although I haven't crunched the numbers yet, the Lloyds Avios card with no Forex fee seems less appealing now ... Avios seems to be the 'new money' under the BAEC restructuring for us. My old neutral earn/burn doing UuA isn't going to work anymore, so there's a new game in town.
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
    BA American Express credit card

Exactly the same for me. I think we'll be ok with the changes so long as we can significantly increase earn outside of flying. I'll have a closer look into all of this.

Thanks for all the advice.
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:13 pm

Hubby and I each have a BAPP card (as primary cardholders). When we book BA flights we always book them under hubby's name first (me as the 2nd pax on the bookings) because he has QF status, so we can select seats when bookings are done. We have used hubby's BAPP card for payment and got 3 avios/£ spent (BA website remembers the credit card details). Question is: can we use my BAPP card for payment (when bookings are in hubby's name) and still get 3 avios/£ spent?
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:40 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Originally Posted by A1pax
    When we book BA flights we always book them under hubby's name first (me as the 2nd pax on the bookings) because he has QF status, so we can select seats when bookings are done.
    It shouldn't matter whether he's first named or second named on the booking. If he's on the booking and his QF number is in, you'll be able to pre-allocate seats for free.

So there is no problem about using either card to pay for these bookings.
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
    It shouldn't matter whether he's first named or second named on the booking. If he's on the booking and his QF number is in, you'll be able to pre-allocate seats for free.

So there is no problem about using either card to pay for these bookings.
    Thanks, Globaliser, for your reply and explanation!
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, BA Amex, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, BA Exec
    BA Amex Upgrading/Downgrading

Have a BA Amex Basic spent just over £10k, I know I can upgrade to Amex BA Premium and trigger the voucher and then the renewal will reset to a year from now.

We recently took out a new Amex BA Premium Plus and my thoughts were that I could upgrade/downgrade on both to spend an average of one £150 fee over the two cards.

If I trigger the voucher on the existing card by upgrading and then downgraded and subsequently upgraded would the card anniversary keep changing?

Has anyone done this. I'm not sure £300 over two cards is worth it especially given the changes announced yesterday.
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC: Gold, HiltonHonours: Gold
    so, i have spent about £13k this year on my amex basic card (blue) with another 7k needed before i earn my 2-4-1 on this card by july.

if i upgrade my card to the amex PP one, does that trigger a 241 straight away, giving me a voucher for any 241 flight?

seems a bit of a no brainer to me, but i may be understanding this incorrectly. instead of risking £150 and restarting the clock, i thought i'd ask.
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: Varies
    An observation: a hell of a lot of reward flights became available in the last day or so, after a couple of months of very poor supply. If I had a standard BA amex with just over £10k spend (I don't) I'd be very tempted to upgrade to the PP card now.
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:07 pm

If you upgrade Blue having spent £10k is the voucher still valid for two years on the black card?
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA
    The Gold is actually a great card for the first year, just before getting rid of mine I racked up 115k of points for moving my supermarket, petrol and travel spend to this card, plus a few referrals and the 7.5k bonus for spending 15k....had to pay the fee for the 2nd year, but as soon as the points posted and I moved them out I cancelled for a pro rata refund.

The supplemtary card bonuses at 5k per card is good as well - so best to refer the wife, waits until she gets the card and then apply for a supplementary card.

Also the Gold credit card - 3k bonus for £500 spend - can only be held if you have the Gold charge card.

Anywhere where there is no bonus spend goes to my BA PP.

With everything you never know how long the sign up bonuses will be around for, and if they will make a move to the one bonus per card per lifetime as they have done in the US.

The SPG Amex is another good one when the increased bonus of 20k appears, which is normally transferred to 20k Avios.
    Very useful post thanks.

Just wondering how someone with very high credit card expenditure could absolutely maximise their Avios and companion vouchers. I have come up with the following:-

Husband applies for BAPP card. Spends £10k. Uses companion voucher. Refers wife. Cancels card.
    Wife gets BAPP and follows above.
    H applies for Lloyds premium card. Spends exactly £2,500 pcm for 6 months.
    W does same.
    H applies for gold amex card. Spends £2k. Waits for anniversary of card then cancels after 7,500 Avios bonus.
    W does same.
    H applies for SPG card. Spends £1k.
    W does same.
    If above doesn't exhaust your spend, potentially apply for the Virgin amex cards and follow a similar pattern.

Any improvements to the above? Presumably there are referral bonuses for cards other than the BAPP which could be earned.

Are there any other good cards I've missed?

Is it generally the case that one can cancel a card, wait 6 months then really and get the signup bonuses?

On a vaguely related matter, when I recently asked amex if it was possible to cancel an Amex card without losing an associated companion voucher, I was told that it wasn't becasue that Amex card needed to be used to pay for the booking. Having made a companion voucher booking yesterday, the operative comfirmed that in practise this was not the case. The booking can be made with any Amex card.

It may be the case that the voucher is cancelled when the card is cancelled but it is definitely not the case that that specific Amex card has to be used (at least, that may be the rule, but it isn't enforced).
    Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
    Have a BA Amex Basic spent just over £10k, I know I can upgrade to Amex BA Premium and trigger the voucher and then the renewal will reset to a year from now.

We recently took out a new Amex BA Premium Plus and my thoughts were that I could upgrade/downgrade on both to spend an average of one £150 fee over the two cards.

If I trigger the voucher on the existing card by upgrading and then downgraded and subsequently upgraded would the card anniversary keep changing?

Has anyone done this. I'm not sure £300 over two cards is worth it especially given the changes announced yesterday.
    When I upgraded from BA Amex to BA PP Amex the anniversairy did not change.

Originally Posted by ChrisTheZulu
    so, i have spent about £13k this year on my amex basic card (blue) with another 7k needed before i earn my 2-4-1 on this card by july.

if i upgrade my card to the amex PP one, does that trigger a 241 straight away, giving me a voucher for any 241 flight?

seems a bit of a no brainer to me, but i may be understanding this incorrectly. instead of risking £150 and restarting the clock, i thought i'd ask.
    Yes if you upgrade you will trigger the 2-4-1.

If you upgrade Blue having spent £10k is the voucher still valid for two years on the black card?
    Yes it will be valid for 2 years.
    Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:50 am

When I upgraded from BA Amex to BA PP Amex the anniversairy did not change.

Yes if you upgrade you will trigger the 2-4-1.

Yes it will be valid for 2 years.
    That's interesting I checked these points and Amex told me me that the 12 month renewal of my existing card (presently September) would change to 12 months from upgrade.

Off topic but I travel a few times LHR-Cork which is a BA code share. I usually only get points on the return leg. I book via Aer Lingus as it is not listed on the BA Website. Should it be possible to book a code share with BA and if yes would I get points on both legs as well as 3 times the points for BA spend (assuming it wasn't massively more expensive) Could be interesting if Aer Lingus takeover goes through
    Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by THEPUMA
    Very useful post thanks.

H applies for Lloyds premium card. Spends exactly £2,500 pcm for 6 months.
    W does same.
    H applies for gold amex card. Spends £2k. Waits for anniversary of card then cancels after 7,500 Avios bonus.
    W does same.
    Few comments here

Lloyds appear to be odd on who they approve....I have never ever been refused a credit card apart from my Lloyds application, even though I have never had any credit issues and have a good score/rating. Not something to stop you proceeding but something to be aware of. I have heard of others having the same issue.

You have to spend 15k in the first year to trigger the 7500 bonus on the Amex Gold. But by spending this 15k wisely you can easily amass at least 30,000 Avios and probably more.

If you are really on hitting points then perhaps the below?

Apply for Amex Gold hit the bonus requirements
    Once you receive the Gold add your wife as a supplemtary card holder (and 4 others?) for 5k bonus per person. I am not sure if you just have to activate the cards or spend on all.
    Cancel the supplementary cards
    Upgrade to platinum for a 15k bonus
    Add supplementary cards again at 10k bonus
    Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:32 am

That's interesting I checked these points and Amex told me me that the 12 month renewal of my existing card (presently September) would change to 12 months from upgrade.
    Double checked mine and it is still 09/09 which was my original blue date....I upgraded sometime in Nov.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.