Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
    Originally Posted by Furton
    I'm almost at the 10k trigger amount for my BA Platinum AMEX card however I have until April 2015 to hit it. I'm just about to start refurbishing a house so have plenty of scope to accrue some more spend.

In terms of maximising Avios, would I be better off applying for the The Preferred Rewards Gold Card to qualify for the 20k sign up bonus (which I should easily hit).

If someone has a referral link for the above card please send it through if you want some additional points.
    If you end up buying a lot of stuff from B&Q, Homebase, Next etc then the best option is as follows:

Amex Gold Preffered Card:
    Purchase a hell of a lot vouchers from tesco
    Double MR points on the purchases (£50 = 100 Avios)
    £50 voucher = 150 CC points bonus = 360 Avios per £50 spent on top of 100 avios for purchase.

Every £50 spent will get you 460 Avios whereas with the BA PP will get you only 75 Avios.
    Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
    Originally Posted by dorothyr
    Trivial question: I've nearly decided to sign up for an Amex card (the no-fee one), but the initial page of the sign-up only gave me the title options Mr / Ms / Miss / Mrs. The only good thing that emerged from my PhD was having the title Dr and while I am absolutely not precious about it, because I never want to be one of THOSE PhDs, I like having it on my cards. Anyone know whether this is something that can be changed after going through the online process? Neither Google nor their site is helpful.

In case anyone was wondering: my title has never once gotten me an upgrade.

Also, if anyone wants to refer me, just send a PM.
    PM sent - amazing if I'm the first. I'm never first!

Can't help you regarding the title I'm afraid - I'm just a plain old mister!
    Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Mrs Lem and I both got the Gold card last month as we have a few things like train season ticket renewals and some work expenses going through so will both hit the £2k immediately (and don't worry, we did it in true FT style and waited till one had received their card who then recommended the other) - logged on to transfer some points over and saw that my total was significantly more than I was expecting.

Turns out that I'm getting triple points on everything from John Lewis as I'm getting the bonus for first year spend at a supermarket plus it's counting it, for some reason, as travel. Which is a nice result when I've just bought a new TV and sound system through them...
    Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
    Trivial question: I've nearly decided to sign up for an Amex card (the no-fee one), but the initial page of the sign-up only gave me the title options Mr / Ms / Miss / Mrs. The only good thing that emerged from my PhD was having the title Dr and while I am absolutely not precious about it, because I never want to be one of THOSE PhDs, I like having it on my cards. Anyone know whether this is something that can be changed after going through the online process? Neither Google nor their site is helpful.

I can't help with the title thing either, but I would just comment that the free BA card (assuming that's the one you are considering) might not be the best option....

As I am sure you know, the main benefit of the BA cards is a 2-4-1 voucher, which you get at £10,000 annual spend for the £150 fee Premium Plus card or at £20,000 spend for the free regular one. If you are likely to hit the £20,000 spend, you would do better with the BAPP (or at least not with the free card), as Raffles explains here.

If you are not aiming for a 2-4-1 voucher with the free card, maybe you should consider the Amex Gold card instead (or maybe as well as a BAPP), if you don't already have one. This is free for the first year (cancel before year two if the fee isn't worth it for you), comes with a 22,000 MR point bonus (transferrable to Avios at 1 to 1), rather than 9,000 Avios for the BA card and gives you double points on travel, petrol, foreign and supermarket spend in the first year. You do need to spend £2,000 in the first 3 months rather than £1,000 for the BA card to get the bonus but if funds allow, that can be done by buying gift cards etc to advance spending.

I see Ankomonkey has volunteered to refer you for the BA card; I'd be happy to refer for the Gold card if that appeals more.
    Old Dec 1, 2014, 7:06 am

I can take this one. I called up AmEx last year when I got my PRG card. They updated my details on their database and sent me out replacement cards for both the PRG and an older cashback plat card. Unfortunately, when the cards arrived they still didn't have the title right so I had to call back. The CS rep sounded a bit annoyed that the previous rep hadn't sorted it out properly but the next set of cards that arrived did have Dr on them. I couldn't be bothered of going through the rigmarole again when I got my BAPP (each new card had a different number) so have just left off the title - as you may have noticed, it doesn't seem to get you any special favors anywhere! PM me if you still need a referral.
    Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
    Originally Posted by louie-m
    ...I see Ankomonkey has volunteered to refer you for the BA card; I'd be happy to refer for the Gold card if that appeals more.
    I've also got a PRG gold card...
    Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
    Originally Posted by d3vski
    If you end up buying a lot of stuff from B&Q...
    B&Q haven't taken AMEX for a few years.
    Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
    Originally Posted by nobbyclark
    B&Q haven't taken AMEX for a few years.
    No but you can buy B&Q gift cards in Tescos. Useful as you get your Amex points, and also get 150 CC points if you buy £50 worth of gift cards.
    Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
    Amex Shop Small is back.

From Small Business Saturday until 21 December 2014, you’ll get a £5 statement credit when you spend £10 or more in-store at participating small businesses*.

*Terms apply. Offer available once per registered Card at each participating small business.
    http://www.amexshopsmall.co.uk/
    Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
    Quick Question - Just downgraded to the free BA Amex card from the BAPP one. (I have a 2-4-1 for 2015 and 2016 in the bank so no need to earn another for a while, especially when I get 2 points per £ with my BMI card for the time being).

When I rang to downgrade I was told it was quicker to do it online, so I did. There was the welcome bonus on the signup page, but no mention of it on the documents I received. I'm assuming I'm not eligible - I'm not expecting to be, but just want to see if others had managed to get the bonus again.
    Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:35 am
    nux
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
    Originally Posted by chistery
    Amex Shop Small is back.

http://www.amexshopsmall.co.uk/
    This was announced almost a month ago...
    Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC
    Paying off BA AMEX with Tesco debit card

I'm hoping for some advice. I have the free BA AMEX and enjoy using it to earn Avios points. I have always paid it off fully each month by direct debit. I have also recently opened a Tesco current account which earns 125 Clubcard points (300 Avios points) per £1000 spent. If I cancel the direct debit on my BA AMEX can I manually pay off my credit card balance each month with the Tesco debit card? Does anybody else use a similar strategy?
    Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:36 am
    nux
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
    Originally Posted by avioshunter
    I'm hoping for some advice. I have the free BA AMEX and enjoy using it to earn Avios points. I have always paid it off fully each month by direct debit. I have also recently opened a Tesco current account which earns 125 Clubcard points (300 Avios points) per £1000 spent. If I cancel the direct debit on my BA AMEX can I manually pay off my credit card balance each month with the Tesco debit card? Does anybody else use a similar strategy?
    You can try making a one off payment. You should be able to use a debit card to payoff a credit card.
    Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:37 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
    Originally Posted by avioshunter
    No you can't. The Tesco account doesn't give Avios for purely financial transactions (where you're not buying any goods or services).
    Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors
    Originally Posted by dddc
    Quick Question - Just downgraded to the free BA Amex card from the BAPP one. (I have a 2-4-1 for 2015 and 2016 in the bank so no need to earn another for a while, especially when I get 2 points per £ with my BMI card for the time being).

When I rang to downgrade I was told it was quicker to do it online, so I did. There was the welcome bonus on the signup page, but no mention of it on the documents I received. I'm assuming I'm not eligible - I'm not expecting to be, but just want to see if others had managed to get the bonus again.
    Can you please advise me where you do this online, try as I may I cannot find any link allowing me to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.