Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend Ł3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend Ł1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of Ł1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of Ł3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the Ł10,000 (or Ł20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under Ł1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: Ł2,500
    • Refund protection: Ł300 (Ł200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: Ł200 (Ł0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): Ł750 (Ł0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): Ł1,000 (Ł0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: Ł250,000 (Ł75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): Ł1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): Ł3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:22 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by Leeski
    Would household income not include what my parents earn as well?
    Good point. However, when you click through to actually apply it clarifies that by stating

You have an Annual Household Income of Ł20,000 (ie: your personal income plus partner's income)
    So parents don't count.
    Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: I don't fly enough
    Originally Posted by KARFA
    Good point. However, when you click through to actually apply it clarifies that by stating

So parents don't count.
    Ah, fair enough, thanks.
    Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: VA Gold, BA Silver
    Thinking of downgrading to the standard BA card to avoid the fee this year, anyone have any experience doing this? Is it simple?
    Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by Cubiscus
    Thinking of downgrading to the standard BA card to avoid the fee this year, anyone have any experience doing this? Is it simple?
    Yeah, I did it over the phone before.
    Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: VA Gold, BA Silver
    Good to hear, thanks
    Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:08 am
    :D!
    Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
    Originally Posted by Cubiscus
    I applied for the BAPP last month and spent the Ł10k, got the 241 and the intro bonus.

I've now downgraded to the free BA card and when I log in, it says
    Spend Ł500
    by 30 Dec 2014
    to receive 1,000 Avios
    where it previously stated the intro bonus of "Spend Ł3000 to receive 25000 Avios", with the same date

Is this a normal offer after downgrading, or is it just because I downgraded less than 3 months after getting the card? Has anyone else done this and managed to get the 1k avios for spending a further Ł500?
    Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Silver
    Unhappy

Originally Posted by :D!
    I applied for the BAPP last month and spent the Ł10k, got the 241 and the intro bonus.

I've now downgraded to the free BA card and when I log in, it says

where it previously stated the intro bonus of "Spend Ł3000 to receive 25000 Avios", with the same date

Is this a normal offer after downgrading, or is it just because I downgraded less than 3 months after getting the card? Has anyone else done this and managed to get the 1k avios for spending a further Ł500?
    Can i ask how you downgraded, did you do this by calling AMEX or online. The OH has called today and was informed it had to be done online, last year when i called they were able to do it there and then. Confused
    Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:15 am

Hi There, complete newbie here so apologies if this question has been asked already!

I'm considering applying for the BA basic amex to boost my avios earnings but had a quick question about the sign up bonus. It states in the info section at the top of this post that there are 9,000 bonus avios available if spending Ł1000 in the first three months. However, on both the BA and Amex website, the bonus is published at 3,000 when spending Ł500 in the first three months.

Obviously the more bonus avios I can get the better (I wouldn't be spending Ł3000 in 3 months to make the most of the Premium Card bonus/justify the annual fee) - am I right in thinking that if I only manage to spend Ł500 in 3 months I'll get the 3,000 bonus but if I manage to spend the Ł1000 I will get the 9,000 bonus?

I hope my question makes sense - i've been lurking on this forum for a while and have found it to contain a wealth of helpful information!

Thanks in advance
    Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:22 am
    nux
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
    Originally Posted by Wombler
    It states in the info section at the top of this post that there are 9,000 bonus avios available if spending Ł1000 in the first three months. However, on both the BA and Amex website, the bonus is published at 3,000 when spending Ł500 in the first three months.
    Unfortunately the signup bonus has just been reduced to 3,000 avios for the standard card. The BA Premium Plus Amex remains at 18,000 avios. If you are referred you will earn an additional 1,000 avios.
    Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by nux
    Unfortunately the signup bonus has just been reduced to 3,000 avios for the standard card. The BA Premium Plus Amex remains at 18,000 avios. If you are referred you will earn an additional 1,000 avios.
    Thanks for the clarification!
    Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors
    Originally Posted by melanddave
    Can i ask how you downgraded, did you do this by calling AMEX or online. The OH has called today and was informed it had to be done online, last year when i called they were able to do it there and then. Confused
    I don't see anywhere online that allows you to downgrade it, if there is im missing it somewhere and hope someone can't point me in the right direction.
    Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
    Anyone manage to get anything for annual renewal? Bonus avios or MR?
    Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
    Originally Posted by mc1973
    I don't see anywhere online that allows you to downgrade it, if there is im missing it somewhere and hope someone can't point me in the right direction.
    I can't see anything that allows you to downgrade online. I know when I upgraded from the free to PP I had to call.
    Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors
    Originally Posted by Mattyb44
    Anyone manage to get anything for annual renewal? Bonus avios or MR?
    For the Premium Plus card you'll get the annual fee bill and that's about it

I'm in my third year and have never been offered anything to renew
    Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
    Originally Posted by mc1973
    For the Premium Plus card you'll get the annual fee bill and that's about it

I'm in my third year and have never been offered anything to renew
    Offered no. But have you tried to cancel, or told them you are thinking about it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.