Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: BA - Blue
    Originally Posted by tinytraveller
    I have a companion voucher to use from an Amex PP. I know that this can be used for one way trips but does that mean I can use it for 2 one way redemptions? (Probably a daft question!). Basically we want to book lhr-ord and then iad-lhr, with the voucher. Do we have to call to book this as an open jaw or can we book them online as two separate one way flights effectively using half the voucher each time?
    You have to book it as an open jaw.

tb
    Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC - Blue :-(
    Originally Posted by trueblu
    You have to book it as an open jaw.

tb
    Thought I might. Many thanks. ^
    Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
    Message is now outdated. I got what I needed. Thanks.

I'd like a referral for the BA Amex card. Please PM me. First come first serve.

Last edited by callmelukas; Aug 26, 2014 at 6:20 am
    Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
    Originally Posted by callmelukas
    I'd like a referral for the BA Amex card. Please PM me. First come first serve.
    PM sent if your still waiting
    Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: MP Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Plat
    Hi I have an Amex PP card and my OH has a supp card on my account

We want to get her own Amex PP with me as a supp on her account

Firstly can we do this and secondly on the form does she click the "I have another Amex card box" which brings up a message "anyone with an avios enrolled card during the last 6 months wont get sign up bonus"

Does she just leave box unchecked (as only has a supp card) and then do we add my supp details to initial application or add it later?

Cheers

LF
    Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by Love Flying
    Hi I have an Amex PP card and my OH has a supp card on my account

We want to get her own Amex PP with me as a supp on her account

Firstly can we do this and secondly on the form does she click the "I have another Amex card box" which brings up a message "anyone with an avios enrolled card during the last 6 months wont get sign up bonus"

Does she just leave box unchecked (as only has a supp card) and then do we add my supp details to initial application or add it later?

Cheers

LF
    She can def get one and leave the box unticked....as far as amex concerned, you are the main account holder for your current card with agreement and credit check against your name only, if you default on payment they'll come after you.
    When she applies, the credit check etc will be against her, and she will be liable for any 'debt' you run up on that card.

MY partner and I have a main and supplementary card on each of our cards and swap every 6 months so we both achieve 241 vouchers each year
    Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: MP Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Plat
    Thanks Gav
    Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
    Does anybody know any car dealerships which accept Amex?

I've just received my Premium card and my mother is looking for a new Audi. Being 20, my limit is fairly reasonably - 2.5k for 90 days with a possible increase thereafter - and as such am looking for a dealer that basically will accept Amex payments in 2.5k instalments there and then (It's my intention to spent 2.5k, immediately pay the 2.5 off, then repeat until the spend is reached. Can this be done as at least on my PRG card the payment credit is reflected immediately).

This way I will reach the 20k spending target in no time! Being a student it's going to be impossible otherwise!

I'm also not to familiar as to how any merchant processes an Amex payment. I understand they have to pay a fixed %, but is there also a fixed fee? For that reason alone I can see why a dealer may not want 6+ 2.5k transactions... .

Thanks!
    Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
    Originally Posted by CountryKerry

I've just received my Premium card and my mother is looking for a new Audi. Being 20, my limit is fairly reasonably - 2.5k for 90 days with a possible increase thereafter - and as such am looking for a dealer that basically will accept Amex payments in 2.5k instalments there and then (It's my intention to spent 2.5k, immediately pay the 2.5 off, then repeat until the spend is reached. Can this be done as at least on my PRG card the payment credit is reflected immediately).

This way I will reach the 20k spending target in no time! Being a student it's going to be impossible otherwise!

I'm also not to familiar as to how any merchant processes an Amex payment. I understand they have to pay a fixed %, but is there also a fixed fee? For that reason alone I can see why a dealer may not want 6+ 2.5k transactions... .

Thanks!
    I think there's been some discussion on this issue before (?even on this thread??). In the UK, I would be surprised if any dealer accepts Amex for the full amount of the car. I've had luck paying the deposit with my Amex, and had to do the rest by debit card.

Even if you were to persuade a dealer to accept the Amex for the full amount, they might add on a 3% surcharge, which would immediately wipe out any benefits of your voucher.

Others may be able to weigh in with some exceptional dealerships that do accept Amex without surcharge...

tb
    Old Sep 6, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
    Just called up to downgrade my PP card to free one (having reached £10k and received companion voucher) and the lovely Amex call handler said this option is not available ...? Anyone else encountered this problem?
    Old Sep 6, 2014, 6:15 am
    Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
    Originally Posted by CountryKerry

Thanks!
    Mercedes were willing to accept a Credit Card payment of upto £8000 but the rest had to be with a Debit Card
    Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
    You will have better luck with a Visa card at a car dealership. Most will point blank turn you down if you flash the Amex.

My personal experience is as follows:

1) December 2012 - Mercedes - £3000 max as a deposit on the MBNA AA Visa. (0.75 miles per £1). After the guy swiped the card, he tried to stiff me for the 2.5% charge but after telling him that I would have bank transferred the money instead, he told me not to worry about it as long as I scored him highly on the feedback.

2) May 2014 - Audi - Sister paid £8000 on a Nationwide Visa. It was more a punt rather than a plan. I think the guy got confused and thought her visa credit card was a debit card.

3) June 2014 - Ford - £600 on a MBNA AA Visa.

From my three experiences from different dealers, if you pull out the card at the last minute and stick it in the machine without the dealer seeing what kind of card it is, you will get away without having to pay the 2.5% fee.

The fee appears to come into play IF your dealer finds out that you are paying with a credit card. Visa cards would be the best way forward.
    Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:16 pm
    obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by d3vski
    You will have better luck with a Visa card at a car dealership. Most will point blank turn you down if you flash the Amex.

My personal experience is as follows:

1) December 2012 - Mercedes - £3000 max as a deposit on the MBNA AA Visa. (0.75 miles per £1). After the guy swiped the card, he tried to stiff me for the 2.5% charge but after telling him that I would have bank transferred the money instead, he told me not to worry about it as long as I scored him highly on the feedback.

2) May 2014 - Audi - Sister paid £8000 on a Nationwide Visa. It was more a punt rather than a plan. I think the guy got confused and thought her visa credit card was a debit car
    3) June 2014 - Ford - £600 on a MBNA AA Visa.

From my three experiences from different dealers, if you pull out the card at the last minute and stick it in the machine without the dealer seeing what kind of card it is, you will get away without having to pay the 2.5% fee.

The fee appears to come into play IF your dealer finds out that you are paying with a credit card. Visa cards would be the best way forward.
    Had a few dealers try this with over the years. They always mark up anyway, so I just tell them I will go elsewhere. Every time this has worked. I even used this when buying a Triumph explorer motorcycle in April this year from the main dealer. Got told about the charge and said I was not prepared to pay it. In the end I paid £7000 on my hilton card at no charge the rest of debit card. Just be firm they all need the money.
    Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
    OT, but paid for a few Vauxhalls on the Tesco CC. Sometimes we have paid a fee; often managed to avoid.
    Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
    I’m just looking for a bit of advice on Euro-based accounts and AMEX cards. I have a HHA based in Germany (but we’re now back in the UK) with my wife still on EU thresholds, and I’m wanting to start down the Amex route to maximise Avios. We currently have about 330k between the two of us, all from flying so I think I must be missing out on getting more along the way.

• My wife’s BAEC year ended on 8 July. As of today her account is still showing 400 points required to renew Silver. Is this likely to change to 600 before the end of her year in July (I thought it may have done by the time her last card expired, i.e. yesterday)? If so would it make any difference is she got the necessary points ASAP? She already has 320, so 80 points isn’t far to go.

My real questions are around Amex.
    • Can I assume that I can’t have an EU address for my BAEC account and UK address for the Amex cards? If my wife can stay on the Euro thresholds then I will evict her from the HHA and move the rest back to the UK if we can’t have the two addresses.

• Am I right that I can sign up for both BA PP Amex and the Preferred Gold cards at the same time and receive the welcome bonuses? I know the latter is a charge card and not a CC. If so, would anyone mind referring me?

• If my wife’s BA account is still based in Germany, can she have an additional card on my Amex cards? Not that it needs to, but would her income count as part of the application?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.