Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate A14

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Happy Easter Sunday folks!

This day reminds me of a few things but also when I used to take Jnr P in his much younger years to Holyrood Park in Edinburgh and rolling the hard boiled and hand painted eggs down a few of the hills there. It will be a busy place there today with families and kids probably doing the same thing.

It also reminds me of a when I was younger and used to receive lots of very tasty Cadbury's Easter Eggs however so far I have not been given a single one, not even a Crème Egg...........

I'm gutted as I LOVE Milk Chocolate which is my nemesis

However, on the flip side I will go to Tesco tomorrow and buy them at half price so Monday will be a Pete Chocolate Feast Day as well as adding a few CC points
Old May 10, 2014, 9:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Who is going to win the FA Premiership Title tomorrow?

Liverpool or Man City?

Not that I am a huge football fan but I do enjoy the Premiership games from time to time . I hope it is Liverpool and I will be glued to the TV tomorrow watching both games.
Old May 10, 2014, 10:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PETER01
Liverpool or Man City?

Not that I am a huge football fan but I do enjoy the Premiership games from time to time . I hope it is Liverpool and I will be glued to the TV tomorrow watching both games.
MC, no doubt. 2 pts ahead and home game against someone has nothing to play for? It would be miracle if LFC wins.
Old May 10, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
It will indeed be a miracle- but as a scouser, one I will be praying for! I have my rock from the top of Spion Kop to hand, however,I fear disappointment..
Old May 10, 2014, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by no longer atc
It will indeed be a miracle- but as a scouser, one I will be praying for! I have my rock from the top of Spion Kop to hand, however,I fear disappointment..
Scousers doing ATC? Did you use an interpreter?
Old May 24, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
T8191

You posted this on another thread that has been closed.

But, hey, America is great, and it's Memorial Day on Monday when they honor the Nation's heroes. It is being marked by an outbreak of auto sales, mattress sales and furniture sales. The things that really matter, not peripheral issues like road repair or functional Internet. What Greater DC needs is more mattresses.

I just want you to know that you are seriously confusing your US holidays!! Like the guy who's waiting for the Easter Bunny to come down the chimney on Valentine's Day and leave him a pumpkin!!!

It is Presidents Day when we honor our former presidents with mattress and automobile sales, not Memorial Day. What you are seeing now are just the normal, everyday mattress sales!

Memorial Day is when we pay homage to gas grills and fatty meats!!! Please get these things straight if you're going to hang around over here!

On a more solemn note, Memorial Day is taken seriously. Families visit graves, and commemorations are held for war dead in small towns all over the US. The events in my own town are always meaningful & heartfelt, without any trace of mawkishness or jingoism.

But I agree with you - at first glance it would appear that we don't take honoring our war dead very seriously.

N.B. In this post I just wanted to tease T8 a little, so please let's not revisit 1776 here!
Old May 24, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thanks for filling in the details, HilFly, although you still haven't explained the mattress sale obsession. Do American mattresses have a very short functional life?

As to the serious bit ... Yes, we are tuned in to Memorial Day in its proper sense. We brought over some Royal British Legion poppies for our ex-military buddies over here.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
What do the flaps do? And other questions for making the most of a flight sim... (OT)

I am staying in a hotel that has a cool aviation theme. As part of the fun they have a (Microsoft) flight simulator. It has got three screens, a 'steering wheel' and loads of levers, but I really have no idea how a plane really works so cannot get the most out of it.

I figured out the throttle and can happily get the plane up in the air. I can even land the plane if I am lucky. But consistent straight and level flying is tricky without using the autopilot.

But there are quite a few things that I would like to learn to use which I reckon will help in my pursuit of straight-and-level flight but do not know what they actually do. These are:

a) flaps
b) aileron
c) rudder
d) pitch.

Any advice on how each of these things can be used would be very welcome!

There are also three levers. One is the throttle, another the nose wheel for turning on the ground and a third. Any ideas on what the third might be used for would also be very welcome!

Many thanks in advance!
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:19 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

One of the levers will probably be the landing gear.

What sort of plane is it simulating?

And more importantly... Where is the hotel? I want a go
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See:
http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Ga...s/default.aspx
See also:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/tra...airplanes4.htm
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL
a) Flaps help control the surface area of the wing. They are ideal for landing as they can increase the surface area of the wing therefore allowing a larger amount of lift at a slower speed. They are on both the front (leading) and back (trailing) edge of the wing. They essentially reduce the stall speed of the aircraft (the speed at which no lift is generated).

b) Ailerons are on the wings and are used to control the roll/bank of the aircraft. I.e. left or right. When you move the yoke to the left, the aileron on the left wing goes up, and the aileron on the right wing goes down.

c) Rudder controls the yaw of the plane. This is used in conjunction with the ailerons when turning (as ailerons inputs create adverse yaw which causes the plane to fell "out of balance".) It is essential when flying into a crosswind for landing as it allows the pilot to "crab" the aircraft.

d) Pitch is the "up" and "down" of the aircraft. Pitch up and you go up. Pitch down and you go down.

What do the three levers look like? Like the one of the right?

(Source: I have a private pilots' licence).

If you want a more in-depth explanation let me know.

Last edited by c1223; Jun 10, 2014 at 12:51 am
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
You are using the wrong bits and worrying unnecessarily. Turn the "autopilot" to "ON".

Move your chair backwards until it is about four metres behind the joystick. Place a footstool or some small box between your chair and the joystick.

Now recline the seat and put your feet up on the footstool.

Look upwards and there will be a small call button above your head. Press the button. A flight attendant will arrive. Order a glass of champagne. Drink the champagne. Recline the seat as far as it will go. Place eyeshades on, and sleep until the flight attendant wakes you for landing.

There, that is all the "flight simulation" you need worry about for Lesson 1. With more practice, you will soon be ready for Lesson 2 - "opening the bag of crisps on domestic flights without using your teeth"

Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
I am curious if it is FSX or their short lived follow up (or not as was the case) to FSX that has all but disappeared. May i recommend the bar instead regardless? FSX will draw you in. 1,000 hours later and I still stay up far too late into the night landing at whatever runways i can find on my poor old laptop. Run away!!

Last edited by jcm9000; Jun 9, 2014 at 6:01 pm
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by antichef
Look upwards and there will be a small call button above your head. Press the button. A flight attendant will arrive. Order a glass of champagne. Drink the champagne. Recline the seat as far as it will go. Place eyeshades on, and sleep until the flight attendant wakes you for landing.
Don't order the champagne if it's a Club Europe simulator!
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
What hotel is this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.