Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Selecting redemption destinations on the edges of the pricing bands

Selecting redemption destinations on the edges of the pricing bands

Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:05 am

I was interested in which redemptions provided the most distance traveled per point spent. So i decided to stick the data in a spreadsheet and sort by least number of points required to go the max distance in a band. I used the longest oneworld route per airline route map which is DFW-SYD at 8,589 nm.

Bands 4, 6 and 7 come out as the top three with 4 being the clear leader.

I also decided to add in what a redemption would cost at .595 cents per point which is my local marginal cost not including my time which is minimal. This number would change based on your earning style of course.

Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Update

- LGW-VRN has been amended to Band 2 and turned red accordingly
- The ZA map has received a few graphic corrections

Oh, and I've inserted a new post to cover oneworld focus cities, beginning with DEL and SIN. Since FT gives us 20 images per post, that means there's 18 potential maps to fill

Very interesting table, jrweaver912 ^
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:03 am

This so cool! Thanks for sharing this with us.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

I've added a post entitled, Using connections to your advantage.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
I've added a post entitled, Using connections to your advantage.
Thank you for the fantastic work.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 12:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
It would be interesting to factor in the purchase costs for each given level, since the best use may not be distance travelled per point so much as saved per point.

Recent example was my JAL redemption PVG to NRT in J for 15,000 Avios, saving me 700, which was the cheapest available at time of booking, and one of my better redemptions.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
It would be interesting to factor in the purchase costs for each given level, since the best use may not be distance travelled per point so much as saved per point.

Recent example was my JAL redemption PVG to NRT in J for 15,000 Avios, saving me 700, which was the cheapest available at time of booking, and one of my better redemptions.
Of course, but unfortunately pricing per mile varies wildly depending on carrier, market, time of day, route, date, service class, et c. in a way that is quite unrelated to distance. It would not be possible to factor this into a static map. Even a dynamic map updated for your preferred dates of travel would consist of disconnected contours and indeed isolated points (individual sale airports such as SJU).

Interesting redemption though, I shall bear it in mind next time I'm in that part of the world!

Edit: If you meant Avios purchase cost and taxes, that could be possible, but I expect it is relatively straightforward to compute from the Avios chart, without a need for further graphs to be made.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by jrweaver912
I was interested in which redemptions provided the most distance traveled per point spent. So i decided to stick the data in a spreadsheet and sort by least number of points required to go the max distance in a band. I used the longest oneworld route per airline route map which is DFW-SYD at 8,589 nm.

Bands 4, 6 and 7 come out as the top three with 4 being the clear leader.

I also decided to add in what a redemption would cost at .595 cents per point which is my local marginal cost not including my time which is minimal. This number would change based on your earning style of course.
I did a similar thing but looking at routings that were good value (basically a spreadsheet version of Prospero's excellent work) - I only included JL flights and a handful of others as a starting point.

It shows the route distance as a percentage of the band maximum and highlights good and bad value redemptions. By filtering COO and COD you can see which combinations work/don't work - e.g. NRT to HNL is band 5, but KIX to HNL is band 6.

If it would be useful then I can open it up for others to amend/add data.

Edited: I'm guessing that Prospero has a similar spreadsheet used for creating these charts so not claiming this is anything new but it might be nice to have available to people who like to play with data.

Last edited by Northernskyuk; Dec 23, 2013 at 10:30 am
Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:40 pm

Would love to see the maps redone with USAIR cities!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:47 pm
soy

Programs: various
Great work, any chance we can get it on the dashboard or else linked to the spending guide thread?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Most interesting. thank you.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:44 pm

Any chance of International Asia (focus Hong Kong) -- North America/South America/Australia?

HKG -- YVR seems to be a good deal with a 30k econ/60k business redemption
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Great stuff.

And with Sri Lankan joining OneWorld this spring, more options open up...
Old Jan 12, 2014, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by londonbus
Great stuff.

And with Sri Lankan joining OneWorld this spring, more options open up...
MLE ^
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I was reading the IB redemption table and I saw LIM is actually a band 6 destination when redeeming with IB Avios. I don't know about through ba.com, but I think it might be worth mentioning as it's a 50k Avios + 108€ each way for a J seat. A fantastic value for that distance.

EDIT: GYE is also included in band 6. So those are some good values for anyone looking for a South American trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.