Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Old First [voucher or Avios now proactively offered]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, M&M SEN, EK Gold

Flew back from ORD last night and it was old First. Crew were very good and friendly, and as I had eaten in the lounge (food in the First dining room was very good) it was pretty much straight to sleep - after a couple of glasses of LPGS obviously! So old First did not really bother me as I was asleep for most of the flight.

However, before landing at LHR the crew came round and apologised that this was OF and gave us a card to fill in with name, BAEC number, and a preference for Avios or a travel voucher - is this normal? It sounds to me like BA are acknowledging that pricing for OF is too high, and this is a way (albeit a slightly strange one!) of reflecting this.

Postings not come through yet, so no idea of any values, but it seemed a bit odd to me - not that I will complain about free Avios!

Meanwhile, due to a number of planes going tech this morning, we were 55 minutes from landing to getting an available gate - captain was very apologetic, but on top of the 40 minute delay leaving ORD due to the inbound having a tech issue it was irritating to say the least.

Manx Flyer
Old Nov 22, 2013, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
How much were you offered as a voucher or Avios?

I think this is a little odd but had heard it was coming. The old F product just needs the addition of an iPad and then if otherwise clean and in working order is fine for either a day or night flight.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes it's new and being proactively offered.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
I heard this was coming - especially important to regular first flyers from Mumbai where 9W operates with 77W suites and they winter schedule with higher loads means both flights are mid-j's with a high probability of Old F, and similar situations.
Glad to hear that BA is proactively recognizing that New F is no longer New F, but the standard of what F should be and anything less deserves an apology of some meaning to the customer.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel ŕ PUCCI GALORE
Old First

This is interesting and unusual. I'm glad to see that BA are serious about hard product consistency though. Although I've never understood what the difference between 'proactively offered' and 'offered' is?
Old Nov 22, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: LH HON, EK Plat, QR Plat, TK EP
This is very nice—and appropriate—gesture. Girls and boys over at LH could learn something.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IC Ambassador, LeClubAccor Plat., Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Silver
Maybe they are fed up with so many people complaining via the BAEC web form after the flight, that they would just skip the inevitable and proactively offer the compensation.

Good on them, I say - some old first cabins are pretty shocking compared to new first on a brand new 777 or A380 - charging the same for such varying quality is a bit of a stretch.

I got 10K Avios for complaining about old first back from vegas in January - seat worked, just complained of poor IFE screen and worn/tatty/broken trim in the cabin.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR), Air France (Gold), Virgin (Gold), Hhonors(Plat), SPG (Gold), Marriott(Silver)
I had the same out to Boston a couple of weeks back, 20,000 avios were credited to my account.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA GfL, TK *G+
So in theory, you can do a one way UUA from CW to F Bos-LHR for 20000 avios, then get OF, and 20000 avios redeposited back into your account. Free upgrade then, nice
Old Nov 22, 2013, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CzeSEN
This is very nice—and appropriate—gesture. Girls and boys over at LH could learn something.
On the other hand, LH has an F product that is actually worth flying.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 4:53 pm

Old First

Silly question but do you think they will back date it ?
Old Nov 22, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by 1poundcoin
Just complain about it now on the web form.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 5:03 pm

Old First

Well as the old saying goes "if you don't ask you don't get" so will give it a try....
Old Nov 22, 2013, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by 1poundcoin
No.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Do you know the effective date that avios is being offered from? I flew OF on Now 15, no cards offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.