Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Handshakes with the crew? Does anyone else do this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2013, 2:36 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

As I am just a leisure flyer and don't fly for work I appreciate that I have nowhere as much experience as many on this forum.

Anyhow, if I have had a good flight or better (I'm generally referring to International flights) I usually single out the relevant CC member where possible to pass on my thanks and initiate a handshake.

I think this stems from my late Mother who did her best to bring me up with good manners (although I did rebel at times ) and it is almost second nature now. It is also a regular work thing too when meeting people, usually quite a few on a daily basis.

If I can't locate them or they are busy I usually thank the CSD/CSM when leaving, say " can you tell xxx for a nice flight etc." and offer a handshake which is always accepted.

Personally I think a good handshake is an excellent way of sending a strong message of thanks, in the above situation. Maybe I am just old fashioned!

I occasionally send a ba.com/well done where the relevant crew or other BA staff members have really went beyond what is expected.

Do other BA flyers do the same?

Just curious!

Pete

Last edited by PETER01; Nov 9, 2013 at 2:49 pm Reason: additional comments
Old Nov 9, 2013, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I send well dones quite a lot but I'm not the type to initiate a handshake.

I've had a CSM that shook the hand of all golds on a MAN-LHR flight which was quite impressive.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Nice touch by the CSM there ^
Old Nov 9, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I've been welcomed at the aircraft door with a handshake from the CSM when travelling in F a couple of times. Never had this on any airline but BA. I also don't think it was a coincidence they were also the 2 best inflight crews I've had on BA.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes if I get the chance I shake hands and thank the cabin crew member who has looked after us and not only on BA.

The UA F long haul crew member got bugger all because she was looking down at the floor when we left.....which kind of says it all about that flight really.

I've never sent a well done for any member of cabin crew.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
A handshake is a very traditional form of greeting or farewell and something I am more than happy to use today

possibly the reason it is used less these days is because some people worry about the transference of germs

it is something I will continue to use as a hello goodbye thankyou or well done
Old Nov 9, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
I had a fantastic Air NZ flight from AKL-HKG when they used to run NZ38/39 to LHR, where the crew member looking after our side of the J cabin came round, introduced himself and proffered his hand to every passenger in his section, when taking dinner orders. Didn't take noticeably longer, and was a great touch. Possibly among the most outstanding inflight service I've ever experienced.

The other "character" that immediately springs to mind for offering handshakes is a LHR-based male UA Purser. He's an American chap, with a voice that sounds like it should be doing voiceovers for film trailers. Always fantastic flights (even if it is UA!), when he's been leading the crew.

There was an old-school UA 744 pilot who came round the F and J cabins before the off from SFO one evening, cap neatly tucked under one arm, everyone in the front of the bus personally welcomed aboard.

Also I remember a BA 737 captain who shook everyone by the hand as we got off at Gatwick one evening.

I'll usually always try to thank the crew member who worked my section of the plane as I get off, and always offer a handshake to anyone who went the extra mile or really hit it off with.

Cheers,
Mike
Old Nov 9, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Delta Platinum medallion
Travelled back from DEN in September CW, service was excellent. Before landing the CSM (an older guy) came down the aisle and shook everyone's hands. At the time wondered if it was his last flight.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Yes, I certainly offer a handshake after good service on a flight, especially long haul.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 4:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I often initiate a handshake with staff, usually on boarding; one (female, not that it matters these days) gets a kiss! Sometimes they initiate it if I don't. Also the CCR staff in London. I know quite a few CSDs, CSMs and Pursers - including some of the FT motley crew - so it's an obvious thing to do. I even had an AA staff member offer me a handshake and I'm still trying to work out why. Works better on Air France, where it is accepted practice in le Business and La Première, it never happens to me on KLM or Lufty.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
I always say "thank you and have a good day/afternoon/evening" to the crew, I tend also to have a little chat with them while waiting for getting off the plane.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 4:58 pm

If you are being polite, just do it and don't "overthink" it.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
one (female, not that it matters these days) gets a kiss!
Yes, as one does.........?
Old Nov 9, 2013, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
If you are being polite, just do it and don't "overthink" it.
I don't overthink it, really.

I see you have just deleted your original post within a minute or so replacing it with the above but you originally stated you found

"posting this question is odd"

and edited your 2nd reply which you stated quoting CWS it was

"strange"???

I don't really think so but each to their own. As I said I am just curious and a few have already stated that it is sometimes given by CSD's/Pilots etc.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
When a CSD/CSM or one of the flight crew come to see me to introduce themselves, invariably I will shake their hands. Never felt that I should give them a snog though, maybe i'll try that next time.

Over the past half dozen BA F segments over the last three months, I've had the CSM/CSD introduce themselves every time, not sure what I've been doing right. A couple of times recently the Captain or FO has come to see me in the event of irrops, although I hadn't been making any fuss about it, far from it in fact, I empathise with the crew in such predicaments. I note that not all of the pax get that treatment. As a result if my missus is with me it puts her in a huff that she didn't get such attention!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.