Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Walsh: BA could add at least five new US cities

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:54 am

I don't get how this is going to work if the 789 is going to configured with F. I wouldn't have thought many of these potentials could support F economically, and aren't all the 788s spoken for?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Tim1975
I'd vote for St Louis. If BA flew there they would have the only flight to Europe an arrangement that clearly benefits them in San Diego.
I think TWA used to have a flight to London (only flew domestic with them). I guess MCI would make less sense as a BA route?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
As O/D for the middle of the country, I would guess Minneapolis would come close to the top from a business standpoint, Charlotte on the East Coast and Portland on the West Coast. Portland may make the most sense with the AS tie-in and no major competition with US carriers.

I'd love to see NOLA/LHR as it would be a perfect stopover for me to visit friends and take a couple of days off before putting in some family time in Europe, but I don't see enough of a business community there supporting direct flights. I'd almost qualify it as a LGW route. Flew there a month ago and the airport is decidedly quiet these days, I just don't see a LHR flight making it.

SLC is growing as a tech infrastructure hub, could definitely be an interesting play. CVG and Nashville could be interesting mid-country options.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by TATLTale
I don't get how this is going to work if the 789 is going to configured with F. I wouldn't have thought many of these potentials could support F economically, and aren't all the 788s spoken for?
I sort of agree - if this is new routes and growth as oposed to switching flights between destinations (which it sounds very much like it is a growth strategy) then I suspect that they will need more 787-8's or 9's. Even if the 787-9 has F for sure there will not be 14 seats so an F cabin may be more sustainable on some of these routes.

If you add this into China and the plan to expand there as well then I see a top up order of 787's on the cards fairly soon. Given the timing of this and that the 787-8 has been in service for 2 months now I just wonder if BA is starting to get the fuel and cost data back and much as with the 777-300 it is pleasantly surprised and costs are coming in at or less than the predictions (the performance of the 777-300 exceeded all BA's expectations hence why there have got a few more!)

I am sure there is much head scratching at BA at the moment as the 747-400's will rapidly be seen as fuel guzzlers compared to the rest of the fleet - I suspect once we get some 787-9's we are going to see some quite drastic re-working of the fleet and which destinations are served by the new members of the fleet.....

FD.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
What routes would they drop to provide the slots for this?

LBA and RTM were considered slot sitters when launched, so unless they've been performing better than expected they might go.

MAN may be able to have a few slots trimmed away, but that would be a shame.

Any other routes stand out as suitable for the chop?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I like the sound of TUS and ANC. Maybe ABQ too for some Breaking Bad vibes.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Nashville please.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cazoz
Bangor, Maine wouldn't work I doubt, but it would be handy having somewhere north or east of Boston. Can't think of a viable place though.

I'd go for:

Minneapolis
Portland
Salt Lake City
Charlotte
Fort Lauderdale (from Gatwick)

St Louis is dead on its arse.
Oakland and San Jose unnecessary cannibalism.
Honolulu perhaps but very far.
Could Madison work in an Austin vein?
I expect a hit on some yet-to-be-served-by-BA DL hubs/mini-hubs: MSP and PDX.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I like the sound of TUS and ANC. Maybe ABQ too for some Breaking Bad vibes.
2nd that, would love to page Heisenberg in the lounge
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by cazoz
Bangor, Maine wouldn't work I doubt, but it would be handy having somewhere north or east of Boston. Can't think of a viable place though.
An alternate near Boston would be nice, like PVD. Easier to get into...but I don't know if they even have any international flights.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by berlinflyer83
An alternate near Boston would be nice, like PVD. Easier to get into...but I don't know if they even have any international flights.
Hartford would make more sense.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:38 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite

More in the Midwest. Please. I'm sick of always having to fly to Chicago to get to north/south Wisconsin. And Chicago isn't cheap.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by layz
What routes would they drop to provide the slots for this?

LBA and RTM were considered slot sitters when launched, so unless they've been performing better than expected they might go.

MAN may be able to have a few slots trimmed away, but that would be a shame.

Any other routes stand out as suitable for the chop?
I presume that there are a few routes where there could be a bit of trimming of frequency without too much difficulty - there are also things like the reduction of LAX to 2 A380's which gets a slot pair so for 5 slot pairs I don't see that much difficulty to be honest. The real issue will be freeing up the slots at the correct time of day for the returns as with all US returns apart from way over on the West Coast you want a pre 9am arrival and those slots are pretty heavily used already.....

FD.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: BA exec club
I'm not sure about 5 new US destinations (Willie Walsh does have a bit of a habit of exaggerating, although with good reason). I think we will see 2 or 3 fairly early on in the 787 lifetime and maybe they will order more A380s to top up the extra 787s that will be required.

BA appear to be majorly committed to the 787, the A380s/A350s look to have a trial sized fleet that could be moved on rapidly if they don't meet expectations.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
there's a nice long runway at Area 51. A good stopping point for viewing passing 'traffic' along the Extra Terrestrial Highway and the Alien immigration line moves quite quickly..

The Little A'Le Inn would make a good airport hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.