Best seats in First for family of four

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2013, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hi

Flying First from MIA-LHR as family of four. Kids are 10 and 15

Any views in best seats? Was thinking 4EF, 5EF or maybe to one side e.g. 4AE, 5AE

An experiences would by appreciated.

Thanks
Old Oct 26, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by florida2000
Hi

Flying First from MIA-LHR as family of four. Kids are 10 and 15

Any views in best seats? Was thinking 4EF, 5EF or maybe to one side e.g. 4AE, 5AE

An experiences would by appreciated.

Thanks
Ask them?
They are 10 and 15, so i would guess they also want window seats? You could do 2ak, 3ak?
Old Oct 26, 2013, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

I did think about 2ak,3ak

Having never flown F before, I'm not sure of the actual layout. Thinking of practicalities for when the 10 year old wants help with ipad/sweets/getting comfortable etc etc etc.

Normally fly club and we take a middle 4.

Questions I have are :

- how far apart are 2ak and 3 ak
- are the EF seats aligned in rows 4 and 5
- in the 4ef,5ef are there dividers that can be lowered aka club world

Sitting at window won't be a priority for kids. They'll hopefully watch a movie or two then sleep
Old Oct 26, 2013, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Having never flown F before, I'm not sure of the actual layout.
The seat map on ba.com is actually not a bad representation (assuming that you're on a 747 given that it's MIA-LHR and you're talking about 5EF):-

Questions I have are :

2A and 2K are separated from each other by a few feet. 3A and 3K have the footstool ends of 4EF between them.

4EF and 5EF are pairs (as you can see from the seat map). Although the dividers are different in Old First and New First, in both cases the divider can be moved out of the way.

You might get more of an idea looking at the photos here.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 5:42 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Thanks

I did think about 2ak,3ak

Having never flown F before, I'm not sure of the actual layout. Thinking of practicalities for when the 10 year old wants help with ipad/sweets/getting comfortable etc etc etc.

Normally fly club and we take a middle 4.

Questions I have are :

Sitting at window won't be a priority for kids. They'll hopefully watch a movie or two then sleep
See this thread which may help.

Seating Queries: First

Row 5 is truly aligned but is close to the galley.

As Globaliser has wisely said (and the link provides some excellent photos) the dividers whether it's old or NF shouldn't be an issue, imo. 1A/K and 2 A/K would be the best but as you are probably aware it's unlikely you may be able to snag these before OLCI. (referring to 1A/K)

Here is a decent review also with some good pictures.

It's such a small cabin that I honestly don't think it will make much of a difference.

Last edited by PETER01; Oct 26, 2013 at 6:13 pm Reason: grammar!
Old Oct 26, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
It's a small cabin, why not consider 2A, 3A, 4A and 5A? The 15 year old will probably have no problem with privacy. The 10-year old might want a parent nearby depending on how much experience he/she has with flying.

I do believe that the kids will enjoy a window seat. Take-off and landing is best seen from the nose section
Old Oct 26, 2013, 6:07 pm

Take all 4 seats in row 5. Kids in the window seats.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by IceInTheCider
Take all 4 seats in row 5. Kids in the window seats.
^ Agree with this suggestion - that way kids get windows and adults can easily converse.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 1:23 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
We have previously done the K seats 1-4 and that was not at all good being stretched out in a long line. For the MIA flight we have actually done the same flight using all four row 5 seats and it worked out fine - the kids got some amazing sunset shots from their window seats and Mum and Dad could easily keep an eye on both of them. It did help that we had an amazing crew that day of course. so to sum up, my preference is 5A, E, F, & K.

YMMV
Old Oct 27, 2013, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If on a 747 with completely free seat choice, I would consider:

15 year old: 2A
10 year old: 3A
Parent 1: 4A
Parent 2: 4E

This configuration will allow both parents to keep an eye on the children (they need to pass to exit the cabin) and the 10 year old in 3A is close to Parent 2 in 4E. The 15 year old will be fine in 2A.

If on a 777 with completely free seat choice, I would consider:

15 year old: 3A
10 year old: 2A
Parent 1: 4A
Parent 2: 2E

This configuration will allow parent 2 to monitor the 10 year old, the 15 year old will be fine and parent 1 in 4A will be able to see when either child exits the cabin.

Substituting 'K' for 'A' and 'F' for 'E' yields an equivalent outcome.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 3:20 am

Damn - I was hoping your children were of a much younger age - the discussion on this thread would have been much more interesting .

I'd go for 3AK for your two children, and 4EF for you and your partner. You get to sit with your OH, they both enjoy window seats of their own and the relative sense of privacy/their own space. However, the alignment of seats means you are half-aligned to their seats, but set back a little so you can keep an eye on them.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 4:48 am

Programs: BA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, KLM Gold, AB Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond, Qantas Svr, Etihad Svr
If you're on a 747 5a-k would be best with parents in middle and kids in windows. It allows you to chat and have a child each side. It also means that if they decide they need the loo every 5 minutes they can go without annoying anyone other than you.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by mrtibbs1999
If you're on a 747 5a-k would be best with parents in middle and kids in windows. It allows you to chat and have a child each side. It also means that if they decide they need the loo every 5 minutes they can go without annoying anyone other than you.
I think even a 10/15 year old will only have limited interest in the BA F loos - including the loo with a view .

If, however, you were travelling on EK and they had the option of using the shower...
Old Oct 27, 2013, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much for all the replies. It's given me a great insight.

For such a small cabin, there are lots of options!

I think I'll go with 5a-k. Have flown with the family 8 times in CW and find the middle 4 best so 5a-k is closest to that.

Although, mrtibbs1999, I hope all the weak bladdered ealderly couples don't disturb my kids on way to the loo!!

Thanks again
Old Oct 27, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat

I saw parents with two teenage kids do 2K,3K,4K,5K with the nanny in CW. Everyone in the family chose not to speak to chat to each other during the flight. Father drank and slept, Mother read and watch movies, kids played their computer games and nanny was given permission to visit from CW and check up on the kids. Weird. They were flying MRU-LHR-US

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.