Replacement BA Lounge at NBO???

Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: LOTS
Replacement BA Lounge at NBO???

Does anyone know if BA are intending to provide a temporary lounge at NBO to replace the one destroyed in the recent fire? BA UK are totally disinterested & the BA NBO telephone appears to have gone the same way as the lounge!
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I think BA are still using a tent, with no lounge facilities.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: ABBA
No Tent, at least not last month. A dire departure gate area with 3 xray/wtmds to get there

Originally Posted by paulwuk
However to enter this larger area, you needed to go through the metal detector and X-ray. They tried to get,e to take off my boots, which I ignored and just walked on through.

After this, you then hand your bp over, get beeped, then have a final manual bag search!

No facilities at this point, just a few chairs, all full and them some with a full 772.

No wifi on offer.
From what I heard the lounge before the fire was also rubbish.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Genius1
I think BA are still using a tent, with no lounge facilities.
At least call it a marquee
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:20 pm

I am flying from NBO tomorrow and will provide an update. I'm not expecting champagne!
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LOTS
Thanks imarks. Would you please be kind enough to ask them if they've anything planned by mid Jan when we return from 3 weeks at Tijara Beach hotel?

If there's nothing then I'll delay my return from MBA.

Yes, the old lounge was nothing special although they did do a refurb. a couple of years ago. It was still far better than the rest of this cr*p airport.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 5:40 am

It's still a tent, and no lounge facilities. Apparently there will be a lounge by the end of the year but I'm not sure how reliable this info is. I was in transit at NBO and found the experience pretty dire and chaotic. Understandably, everyone was preoccupied by yesterday's horrific terrorist attack and glued to the screens in the airport building. There was even a TV in the tent. There is a reserved seating area at the far (departure) end of the tent for business/first (no mention of gold/silver) but it didn't appear to be enforced. Business/first passengers also get to board first.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 4:53 am

Just an update on arrangements for BA flights at Nairobi:

Departures - They are no longer using a tent thankfully. The waiting area at the gate offers a separate area for premium passengers with snack boxes and tea and coffee available. Certainly not a lounge, but better than nothing. Direct boarding to the aircraft with priority boarding available.

Arrivals - All international flights now get bussed to a converted parking garage, which houses immigration and baggage collection. It seems to work well.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:18 am

this is good news. Thanks for the update. I am off the NBO tomorrow and back in December. will report any changes to the departure side of things then
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: DL DM
Just returned from NBO. Imark is "spot on" with arrival arrangements. The jetways are no longer operational; stairs are the only option to/from the aircraft. Int'l departures from "Term 3" are pretty much the same as they have been for years. Business class flyers can use the hastily established Simba Lounge near gate 6. FF with status get a coupon for two beers or one wine at the restaurant near gate 4.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
I thought the Kenyan Airways Simba Lounge was only open for use by Kenyan Airways or their partners. Are you saying that BA customers are being provided access to that lounge?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:50 am

Programs: DL DM
Good question re: Simba Lounge access. Qatar (One World alliance like BA) passengers were in the lounge, but that doesn't mean much these days as people get in for any number of reasons.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Actually since I am flying Qatar that would be great if they had access. I guess I will find out next month.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: BMI
Hi,

I'll be flying back to LHR from NBO in a couple of weeks time. Given the state of the lounge, how much time before the flight would you recommend us turning up at the airport to check in. Is the airport pretty inefficient at processing people?

We're flying CW and have luggage. Not sure if we'll be able to online check in (depends on internet access)

Any recommendations on airport transfers?

Thanks

Jon
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
You queue outside to get through the security scanning to enter the terminal. Then you queue at the check-in desks for the airline. Then you queue for the passport check out, then you head into the terminal for your wait for the aircraft. When I did it last week for my EK flight it took about 30 mins, 15 mins, and 15 mins respectively. So about an hour before I could hang around with negligible facilities. The times may vary at different times of the day, but it seemed fairly normal for NBO

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.