Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bizarre and painful new passport restrictions in T5 for hand-baggage travellers

Bizarre and painful new passport restrictions in T5 for hand-baggage travellers

Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by layz
That'd be sending a massively conflicting message as they've just launched hand baggage only fares from LHR!
Not necessarily, people are bound to try abusing those fares by bringing massive bags so giving staff an opportunity to examine all luggage is a good thing.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
You really couldn't make it up. Less than a week of launching a massive ad campaign about technology and innovation, which feature mobile boarding passes heavily, BA announce they are effectively useless for a huge group (all EU travellers) of passengers.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
I heard over the tannoy while waiting for the inlaws to arrive last week at GCM that anyone waiting to board the returning BA flight to LHR and had checked in online had to go to the desk to get their passports re-checked. Just thought it was a new cayman funny. Guess not!

EDIT - ps maybe BA listened to someone on here - i assume it is all about making sure people that OLCI are actually at the airport for their flight. Recent thread on here about delays caused by bags having to be unloaded due to pax not turning up for their flight (for various reasons of course, but im sure OLCI and sleeping in / car breaking down etc is a major factor - and also would require they checked their bags the night before where allowed...but you get my point!). I foresee many many people getting unloaded from their flights and their seats being given away not knowing that they have to effectively re-check in, and they don't find out until they go to board and their BP is refused and their seats given away. People still struggle with the requirements of going through security!!

Last edited by jcm9000; Sep 11, 2013 at 10:58 am
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Just so I understand, if you have done OLCI and either printed your own BP or got one in Passbook, you still have to visit a check in kiosk/desk at T5 if you're travelling to one of the above destinations before you go through security?

If that's the case, why on earth would a non-status not particularly loyal to any one airline customer like me book BA over EasyJet?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Gatters just got a whole lot more interesting.

This is really frustrating though.

Those of us with multiple passports will, I assume, have to remember to have the right passport when travelling
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by dc2447
Those of us with multiple passports will, I assume, have to remember to have the right passport when travelling
I don't see why. I have one of my passports stored as my API on every record and travel with either of mine. When I check bags they do a passport check and never query the difference. I don't see why this would change.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by squeeler
Super "Daily Mail"-like headline writing.
PASSPORT PANDEMONIUM : Heathrow bigwigs bring in pre-security shocker
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:08 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Am I missing something, but this is only for non EEA countries, does not effect UK passport holders, thats what the BA page says. Seems a standard visa requirement for all non EEA passports, nothing really that new.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I don't see why. I have one of my passports stored as my API on every record and travel with either of mine. When I check bags they do a passport check and never query the difference. I don't see why this would change.
bit of a risk the first few times but I do hope you are right

someone post here if the passport does not have to match your passport stored on ba.com
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Dates are :
14/11

Belgium
Czech Rep.
If this is just a T5 thing does that mean PRG is moving back to T5? Then again it looks like all the T3 destinations Austria, Gibraltar, Poland, etc have made the list, so I don't know what they were thinking when they put this list together.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:13 am

I'll try it on Sunday

I guess I don't see it as a risk.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Why are the countries all EU + EEA etc. (Switzerland, Gibraltar and Turkey?)

This all smells rather fishy as it's clearly not blanket.
There are already pre-security visa checks for intercontinental destinations so the changes, by definition, only affect EU/EEA.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
What? What's gotten into them? This is completely idiotic as it adds another stop on the way to the plane.

Moreoever, the one important piece of info was missing though: until when do you have to re-print your boarding pass/have your ID checked? One of the niceties of having the BP on your mobile or a printout in your pocket is that check-in deadlines no longer matter. Just be on time at the gate. Will the new rule mean that the ID check/re-printing of the BP will have to be done by the CKI deadline? I am afraid so, which would be seriously

If they absolutely want to check ID before letting people through security, why don't they do what other airports do: for instance DXB or airports in the US: you bring your own BP (mobile, printout) and your ID to security, it's being checked there and then, and all is well. No worrying about check-in deadline, no extra queue, just showing that ID that you brought anyway at the same time as your BP when you go through security anyway.

I am not sure why this ID check is required, but fair enough. But I really don't understand why they have opted for the most annoying way of doing it.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
One of the niceties of having the BP on your mobile or a printout in your pocket is that check-in deadlines no longer matter. Just be on time at the gate.
This is T5 we're talking about, there's always been conformance to worry about.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Ivory (no more AF), Accor Plat, VS Silver, HH Gold
Has BA been delivering ineligible pax to EU destinations and received fines? Has this increased? Would it not be easier to have this effected through HAL security, ie add to an existing process rather than create a new one? EEA passengers travelling on ID cards will presumably be unable to use SSCI.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.